If I were to open a local store, what would I sell?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Generally speaking, in what types of items do Dominicans like to spend their money on? And I'm not referring to necessities (food, water, beer, etc).

I ask because I was talking to a friend who's a been living in Santiago for the past three years, and he mentioned that he wanted to open a small retail store in Santiago. When I asked him what he would be selling, he said he wasn't certain, but whatever it was, he would purchase it from the states and ship it to the DR.

What types of things would Dominicans be interested in buying? Is there something that sells more than other things?

Thanks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is big business in the "black market" sale of electronics among other things; with the "black market" to mean people bring things with them on flights from abroad and don't pay duties. I don't know if there is a lot of duty charged for electronics but the prices they charge for things here are 2 to 3 times as much in the States for many items. A few examples I've seen are cell phones, memory cards, cameras and even radios. For example I was shocked to see a radio in La Sirena of all places selling for over RD1800 when I had paid a measly US19 for the same radio from WalMart less shipping. I think if you can get a handle on the import fees there is enough fat in this sector to start a business.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I suggest you will need a "Mr. Saturday Night Special" underneath the counter, "it ain't good for nothing except putting a man 6 feet in a hole".. Que solo....

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
A winner probably would be a "dollar store", or "40 peso store", selling sample and close-out cosmetics, nail polish, fragrances, etc. Could even stretch it to a 100 peso store.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Sample store sounds like the best bet. 1 oz. bottles of mouthwash. Single blade disposable razors. 1.5" lipstick bars. Single serve Chinese condoms. Purely cosmetic and frivolous items are the only things guaranteed to keep you stocked.