getting a u.s passport in d.r

cincocero

Nov 5, 2006
sort of a dilemma.hope someone can help.my child is in d.r and his passport is about to expire in two weeks but i was planning on him staying a couple of months until i move etc in n.y.is it possible to renew (actually) get a new u.s passport in d.r ? can i get his passport sent back to me here in n.y and will i be able to get a new one without him being present?it will show that he is in d.r my son is 15. thanks in advance

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If he's with his mother, it can be done. Children under 15 have to be with a parent, preferrably both of them--so you wouldn't be able to do it in NY without him. For the parent that can't be there, there is a form that needs to be notarized (along with copies of ID). That's the way it works in the US.

The DR should be similar, expect that you have to follow their rules for getting an appointment. Found instructions from the embassy. Never done it, though, maybe others will post if it works the way "it's supposed to."

Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic - Processing a U.S. Passport in Santo Domingo