myth or truth. US citizen living in DR

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
The question is: how long can a US citizen stay in the DR without traveling back to US??

me and my girlfriend are moving to DR for a couple of month (8-12 for now)
i was born in DR and also am an american citizen (double citizenship, naturalized)
my gf was born in US territory (US parents)

i believed that there was no problem with staying there but recently got challenged by a "viejita sabelo-todo" who told me that if we stay more than 6 month we will have to pay a fine or somthing.

please help

by the way, first post. newbe here

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can stay as long as you want [non-DR citizen], but if it's over 30 days you will have to pay a fee at the airport [based on how long you stay] when you go through immigration. You will not have to pay it - she will.

I have an American friend who has lived in Santo Domingo for 10 years, no DR residency, she just pays the fee when she flies out.

AE

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
ok thanks for the info. do you happen to know if the fee is payed at the airport in RD or in US???

Jan 17, 2009
You were born here, with a cedula or DR passport, you don't pay. Your girlfriend would pay. Fees are in pesos and better paid in pesos. You can pay in US but they give you a very unfavorable exchange rate. Last time I check (last year), they were stuck on the 30 pesos per US.

Here's the site for you to check the fees (check the Ventanilla Extranjera table):

Direccion General de Migracion

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
alterego, how much are these fees?

<table class="tarifas" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="570"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">CODIGO</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">DESCRIPCION</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">TARIFA VIGENTE</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">VIP</td> </tr> <tr> <td>032</td> <td>De 30 dias a 3 meses</td> <td align="right">800.00 </td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>033</td> <td>De 3 meses a 9 meses</td> <td align="right">1,000.00 </td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>034</td> <td>De 9 meses a 1 a?o</td> <td align="right">2,500.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>035</td> <td>De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses</td> <td align="right">4,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>036</td> <td>De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os</td> <td align="right">5,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>037</td> <td>De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses</td> <td align="right">6,500.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>038</td> <td>De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os</td> <td align="right">9,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>039</td> <td>De 2 a?os a 5 a?os</td> <td align="right">14,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>040</td> <td>De 5 a?os en adelante</td> <td align="right">17,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td></tr></tbody></table>

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
<table class="tarifas" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="570"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">CODIGO</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">DESCRIPCION</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">TARIFA VIGENTE</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">VIP</td> </tr> <tr> <td>032</td> <td>De 30 dias a 3 meses</td> <td align="right">800.00 </td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>033</td> <td>De 3 meses a 9 meses</td> <td align="right">1,000.00 </td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>034</td> <td>De 9 meses a 1 a?o</td> <td align="right">2,500.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>035</td> <td>De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses</td> <td align="right">4,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>036</td> <td>De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os</td> <td align="right">5,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>037</td> <td>De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses</td> <td align="right">6,500.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>038</td> <td>De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os</td> <td align="right">9,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>039</td> <td>De 2 a?os a 5 a?os</td> <td align="right">14,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>040</td> <td>De 5 a?os en adelante</td> <td align="right">17,000.00</td> <td align="center">-</td></tr></tbody></table>

Nice post "EverythingJeff"...was just going to do it, but you beat me to it....lol:rambo:

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
thanks a lot guys. sounds like it is better to travel back before the 9 month deadline to pay 1000 pesos, not bad

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Be sure not to stay in the US more than 35 days in a year if you want to take the $91,500 exclusion from US income taxes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You nuts? Traveling and spending thousands of dollars to avoid paying $30 in fines??? You are not an economist, I gather.

As Dominican born you do not have to pay anything. Your wife will have to pay for overstaying a tourist visa. So what? It is pennies compared to the cost of flying anywhere, even Haiti, for goodness' sakes...

Enjoy your life here..

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "PAY DIRECT" When I Leave!

Whatever the fine is,put half,or less,in your passport before you hand it to the agent.They will say,"What's this for?"
Tell them you want to pay the fine to them.
They will take the money,stamp your pasport,and say"Bien Viaje". I have done that many,many times without incident! Been living here over 16 years.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sometimes they don't even ask for the 'fine' - I had it ready when we left after our last trip and they just stamped the passport and waved us on. Like the OP, it doesn't apply to my husband, only me.

AE

Jan 17, 2009
Whatever the fine is,put half,or less,in your passport before you hand it to the agent.They will say,"What's this for?"
Tell them you want to pay the fine to them.
They will take the money,stamp your pasport,and say"Bien Viaje". I have done that many,many times without incident! Been living here over 16 years.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

It may work on some airports. In POP, someone checks your passport before you are even able to get to the immigration officer, then you're sent to a different window to pay.

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
thanks for all the inputs. and yea it makes sense to just pay the fine. it is deffinetly cheaper. anybody got a trick to do income tax from DR without having to fly back to US??? seems like you guys got all the tricks needed to live away and stay away.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
can you explain this please??? i dont get it
US citizens are required to report All income earned, regardless or where it is earned, on their annual US tax returns. If you reside outside the US and don't return for 35 days in a year, the first $91,500 earned is not taxable (You must file to get this exemption). This amount is adjusted yearly for inflation. As a US citizen, just because you don't earn anything inside the US, doesn't exempt you from the IRS.