Tourist visa to a spouse visa

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
Hi, My Dominican wife obtained a multiple entry tourist visa to the U. S. I have not applied for her K-3 visa yet. When she comes here to visit, is it possible to stay and start the spouse visa process while she is here?

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
It should be fine. My fiancee (now wife) visited me in the States twice while her K-1 case was still be processed. Its perfectly legal. Remember, Customs will determine how long she can stay and if she can enter at all. Just make sure she has "ties" that connect her to her home country.

Feel free to come over to the Dominican Portal at VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community

It's a great site to use while you're going through the immigration process. They have Guides, Timelines, etc. I have the same screen name. Just look me up I can guide you.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
It should be fine. My fiancee (now wife) visited me in the States twice while her K-1 case was still be processed. Its perfectly legal. Remember, Customs will determine how long she can stay and if she can enter at all. Just make sure she has "ties" that connect her to her home country.

This is important advice. Technically if one enters the US on a tourist visa with the intention of staying, one is committing fraud and one can be denied entry into the US. A friend of a friend (German woman) was sick of traveling back and forth to the US to be with her American boyfriend, so they decided to get married on her next trip to the U.S. Her plan was to file for adjustment of status after entering on a tourist visa. On her arrival, during customs (after immigration, mind you) they found a white dress. They asked her what it was for and she said, "My wedding, I'm getting married." They started to question her and next thing she knew, she was on a plane to Germany the next day having been denied entry into the US!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Hi, My Dominican wife obtained a multiple entry tourist visa to the U. S. I have not applied for her K-3 visa yet. When she comes here to visit, is it possible to stay and start the spouse visa process while she is here?

Just curious, was your wife approved the first time? Plenty of people have tried getting tourist visas and were pretty much denied the first time! Congrats! :)