Any recommendation for Cataracts Surgery Santiago or Puerto Plata?

Jan 17, 2009
I need to have cataracts surgery in both eyes. Does anyone have a good ophthalmology surgeon to recommend in Puerto Plata or Santiago?

Any idea of what type of implants are using here? I'm interested in multifocal.

I'm currently scheduled for surgery in the US in September, but giving the high costs of the lens, I'm reconsidering. That's my major concern; my insurance will cover the procedure but not the lens.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest you see one of these two doctors:
Dr. Pedro Guzman & Son at Clinica Corominas
Dr. Joe Asilis & Son at Clinica Bonilla Eye Clinic.

Dr. Guzman is the stalwart of eyes in the North of the Country. I would see him first and then see Asilis...get two opinions.

HB

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, Criss. I'm just wondering about first getting a second opinion and of course, reduce the costs. At this point, I'm facing a $6,500+ expense, a good part of which goes to the multifocal lenses.

Anyone you know who had it done here?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Criss. I'm just wondering about first getting a second opinion and of course, reduce the costs. At this point, I'm facing a $6,500+ expense, a good part of which goes to the multifocal lenses.

Anyone you know who had it done here?
I volunteered at the Cap Cana Classic with a board certified Opthomologist in Santo Domingo that does cataracts for $1000 per eye.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Rick" who is seldom on this board,he lives in Sosua,had surgery in Santiago. Don't know where,or what Dr.,but he had terrible results,with many follow up surgeries. If he sees this,perhaps he will tell us more.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I would go to the USA. Forget the "Bi focal" lenses if they cost to much. Just get a pair of reading glasses.

CC

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks. You bet I need multi-focal. I can't see a steak on a plate. Already tried with contacts to go for distance correction only years ago. Terrible! I had to wear reading glasses to eat. No, I pass on that. Maybe I try to convince my US ophthalmologist to do monivision, like I did many years ago with lasik. I take your advise. I can't imagine having to deal with follow-up surgeries.