Singer Sewing Machine Repair or Purchase of new Machine

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I am in dire consequences if I cannot get this situation resolved quickly. I recently purchased a Singer Prelude (model 8280) to bring down and use here whenever I am here. Knowing that I couldn't bring it as carry-on, I packed it into a suitcase for the trip down. Opened it up and set it up but the motor is working but not moving the needle, bobbin threader or the feed dogs. It is brand new and never been used. I must find someone who can repair it or, if necessary buy a new one. Does anybody on this board know where I can take it to have it repaired on the North Coast please or failing that, purchase a new one? I searched the forums and the answers are so old I can't trust the info anymore. I am desperate to get this useable a.s.a.p.!

:disappoin

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
I think that Gonzalez store in Puerto Plata have a repair shop for domestic items, its in their second building almost opposite the main store but nearer to the beach

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if that fails go to the fabric shop nearby, on calle beller, first corner from the central park, close to helados bon. the owner should know who in POP could do this job. good luck!

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Just for future reference, you CAN bring the sewing machine as your carry-on. Just be sure that ALL needles are removed and packed in your checked luggage. I brought a serger as a carry-on and I know several ladies who did it within the past 2 weeks.
Doesn't help for your SM now, but it may be good to know for the future! :)

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Thank you very much for this new information. I wouldn't know where to stow it. I did buy a generic carrier but given it's size, that's why I packed it. I will definitely keep all this information on-hand if this proves to be a no-go. I really appreciate the tips and info.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
I took my serger out of its box and then packed it in a soft sided insulated cooler. I then packed clothing around it. It fit nicely into the overhead bins. The ladies who brought theirs said that the airlines did a gate check and stowed them during the flight. When the flight landed, they retrieved the SM's when they deboarded.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I'm a Happy Camper now!

Great news! My friend in Cabarete contacted a web site in the Netherlands that provided instructions for repair of the described problem with sewing machine. Like a forum or a expert board, they give detailed instructions. The machine was very basic and non-electronic so the issue had to be mechanical. By following these instructions, the machine is now repaired and usable. Without my friends though this wouldn't have happened and I could be out-of-pocket possibly to $10,000.00 RD. Amidst the gloom of some other posts, I am happy to have a good experience to share!

:laugh::laugh: