So I am leaving, eventually seen the light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've put everything into trying to make it work here over recent years, ignored the signs that have been waved in my face every time I attempt to do the simplest of tasks. I've lived just about everywhere here to try and get settled but just can't get the hang of living here comfortably and content.
I have the choice to live here or not, to continue to do so when the place makes me so utterly miserable is silly.
And so I'm booked up and am off, just got to get rid of a few more things and Adios!!

Comes a point when you have to stop trying and accept defeat!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I've put everything into trying to make it work here over recent years, ignored the signs that have been waved in my face every time I attempt to do the simplest of tasks. I've lived just about everywhere here to try and get settled but just can't get the hang of living here comfortably and content.
I have the choice to live here or not, to continue to do so when the place makes me so utterly miserable is silly.
And so I'm booked up and am off, just got to get rid of a few more things and Adios!!

At least you did it and no one can take that way from you.

I lived in FL for 2 years and resided in three counties. The heat blew me away. I came back to NY.

You live and learn. :) Good luck!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

You taking the family?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
unfortuneatly Leon Russell had a song about that,,,,,,,,,,,,"well i hope you understand, i just had to get back to the island",,,,,,the door is open when you want to come back.........i do understand, it's tough to make a dollar in this place where it seems like every other car is a porsche or prado. you will be missed and should you return in a couple of years the locals will act like you've been gone 3 weeks. they are stuck, very comparible to prison time, good luck and i've enjoyed your postings.................

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Anastacio, I am not sure of your timeline or your story, I think you lived SDQ, Punta Cana, and now Jarabacoa....

What was the straw that broke the camel's back?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A line from an old movie.....

"He who fights and runs away...... shall live to fight another day !! "

The Great Race.... if I recall....... Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Maybe you tried to do to much here. Not a good spot for a person that has to keep busy. Even simple things can be maddening if you let them. Frequent trips back to US, PR, or wherever to take a break helps a lot. Bright lights, shopping a/c, good roads, movies, fast internet, then back off to the DR. Thats the ticket. Best of luck.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

You aint leaving man. Stop the bullshards. You are staying here as long as your daughter cant leave. No bring me no bad news. As much as you dislike the place, you like your kid so you are staying.

Unless you got another crap-backed apartment? Well, that would suck!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Be careful what you wish for!!!!

Me and the missus had a pretty soft landing when we moved to the UK recently - luckily she loves it here - it is me who is having trouble adjusting.
Some things are just fantastic like fast internet, electricity, curry, snooker, motorways, cheap cars, carp/tench fishing etc.
But just 5 months back here has reminded me why I left in the first place - basically I am not free or able to do the things I want to do.

The whole things is a moot point because the priority is our daughter.
The UK is still a way better place for her prospects - which is a shame.

Tricky one.

Would you be moving back to the UK?

One other thought - it is way easier financially to bugger off to the D.R. from the UK than it is to bugger off to the UK from the D.R.

Buzzz

Jun 30, 2011
My first post here... hope I do this right... I was thinking about a move to Jarabacoa. Soooo, I, along with Mainegirl (above), are wondering about the primary reasons for your departure... Maybe these are things that I need to know about.. Could you list the primary reason(s)..??

Since I'm a newbee, this may have been previously discussed.. if so, sorry...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes Anastacio, please post the reasons for leaving if you get the chance and where you did live while here. It is difficult to accomplish many things here. I have worked around that by eventually finding people that can actually do things, discovering how to import what can't be found, and doing those "escape to reality" trips to the US.

Buzz, Jarabacoa is a pretty mountain town. My wife is from there and we visit friends and family there frequently. Neither of us would like to live there (remember she was born there). One reason is that it is not close to the ocean. I won't live on an island and not be near the ocean. For her it is just too boring there. Some in her large family love it there. Others prefer, ugh, Santo Domingo.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I am glad you're being proactive. If only more unsatisfied people would pack up and leave instead of wallowing in misery, this would be a happier place.

I wish you success and happiness in your new start, and hope you'll keep some fond memories tucked away!

best,

joe

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I still don't understand the main point or what broke the camels back ? is it because of not being able to earn an adequate living or just general frustration with the RD lifestyle or what ? has to be something

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I still don't understand the main point or what broke the camels back ? is it because of not being able to earn an adequate living or just general frustration with the RD lifestyle or what ? has to be something
Not the hairy armpits? ;)

Anastacio, wishing you the best whatever you decide.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno. But from the totality of Anastacio's posts, many have a hint of relationship issues in them. Seems he's tried moving all over and doing things to patch that up.

But we all have a point when we have a moment of clarity and see the uselessness of our intentions and arrive at the end of the cul de sac.

Maybe he's just so done and knows the only option is just moving on.

If you're in a place you don't like and lose the reason for being in that place, why stay?

Last edited by a moderator:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Greener Grass

I have the choice to live here or not...

I understand.
As they say, the DR is not for everybody.
Many (who own property here and can't sell) envy you being able to leave... just packing up things and hop on a plane. :bunny:
I wish you good luck wherever you may go.

Please let us know whether the grass is really greener on the other side.
I may follow your footsteps then...

donP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.