Old Monitors

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
I have some old 14" flat screen monitors I was going to throw away. I am thinking I could bring them to DR and give them to some people there. Does anyone know if I will be charged an outrageous amount for import duty? Many thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How many is "some"? Are you talking about taking 2 in a suitcase - or shipping down a box of them???

AE

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind it is now illegal to import tube type TVs into the DR. That might also apply for tube type monitors.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Marco aka Rocky would be delighted to get them from your hands as he frequently build some desktop units for schools for free.
Not sure how many you can bring though but if you pm me, I can get you in touch with him because he may know the answers for you.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, educational enterprises will work better than personal donations to private citizens. The schools are under-equipped so they could use anything like that and the private citizen will complain that is aint good enough for them.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
These are LCD monitors. There are only two of them and I want to bring them with me in my luggage. I have two people who they are destined for, and from what I've seen they will be an upgrade to their present system. I just don't want to get there and the Dominican duty be more then the monitors are worth.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
These are LCD monitors. There are only two of them and I want to bring them with me in my luggage. I have two people who they are destined for, and from what I've seen they will be an upgrade to their present system. I just don't want to get there and the Dominican duty be more then the monitors are worth.

On that you will be taking a chance. Sometimes customs will hassle you and sometimes not. On small monitors you will probably not get hassled.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Also depends upon which airport - I've never seen any 'tourist' looking passenger's luggage even touched at SDQ.

AE