Danilo Says He Will Govern By The Principals of Juan Bosch

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Bosch was indeed very much to the left... The best thing that happened to the DR was to have him removed. Anyway, the whole deal about swearing on Bosch's tomb is pure hype & marketing... It doesn't mean anything ideologically...

Feb 7, 2007
I wouldn't make a big deal of it (yet). Brazil's Lula da Silva was a revolutionary union leader when he got to the helm of Brazil. Look at Brazil now after 8 years of his reign...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with Squat and rubio.... plus you have to bear in mind that, with the exception of Cuba, communism as Bosch knew it is pretty much dead.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Bosch represents some patriotic ideals, a never-give-up spirit. He doesn't really represent a political ideology.

Just like some candidates cite Balageur as inspiration, others cite Bosch. Neither means much in today's world.

The irony is that both the PRD and PLD can equally use him in their marketing...:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
to me, the utter stupidity of selling the idea that "To serve the Party to serve the Fatherland" is so mind numbing and meaningless (until you realize that they are really doing it!!!) that it is beyond understanding for any intelligent person.

However, history will show that these creatures who arrived in power on Balaguer's say-so, poor as church mice, now have so much money that they can pretty well do whatever they want....until that day when the place explodes...a revolution is brewing, no matter what Pichardo and Nals and others think. This place reeks of corruption of the most blatant kind, because they are "serving the Party".....

When Boquechivo had two "Turpenes" talking about education financing, one said they had to increase spending, and the other said "Are you crazy? If they are educated, they will kick us out!!!", don't you think he knew what he was talking about??

HB, somewhat of a curmudgeon today...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bosch's followers depict him as a highly ethical figure who would be horrified at the corruption and excess of his successors. They may be right.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Bosch's followers depict him as a highly ethical figure who would be horrified at the corruption and excess of his successors. They may be right.
It's kinda funny seeing how Danilo is a cog in the corruption machine.

When was the last election in the DR where "I promise to root out corruption" wasn't a major campaign promise?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Bosch was indeed very much to the left... The best thing that happened to the DR was to have him removed. Anyway, the whole deal about swearing on Bosch's tomb is pure hype & marketing... It doesn't mean anything ideologically...

Says who? The Americans right...do us all a favor and stay out of other countries affair...Thanks. There's a big consensus among DOMINICANS that the removal was one of the worst thing to ever happen to the DR, in part because of Bosh fault but nonetheless...

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I'm from the camp that believes Juan Bosch would have made an excellent president if he wasn't sacked for his leftist mentality by U.S. backing. It's a moment in history that really gets under my skin when I look at the present political state of the Dominican Republic.

The rampant corruption we deal with today was a precedent set by Joaquin Balaguer.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I'm from the camp that believes Juan Bosch would have made an excellent president if he wasn't sacked for his leftist mentality by U.S. backing. It's a moment in history that really gets under my skin when I look at the present political state of the Dominican Republic.

The rampant corruption we deal with today was a precedent set by Joaquin Balaguer.
This is the usual politically correct BS...
As a matter of fact, you can be thankful for Balaguer...
But I understand believing the hype is fashionable, so keep Juan Bosch on his pedestal, and keep on dreaming about how great of a prez he would have been...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Says who? The Americans right...do us all a favor and stay out of other countries affair...Thanks. There's a big consensus among DOMINICANS that the removal was one of the worst thing to ever happen to the DR, in part because of Bosh fault but nonetheless...
You are more American than I am...
FYI I dislike the consensus in general.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Juan Bosch was an anti-Communist reformer, as was common among Social Democrats. He began a land redistribution program and encouraged strengthening the labor movement. Business men did not much like Bosch. Nor did leading members of the Catholic Church. The republic's new constitution provided for the separation of church and state. Divorces were now legal, and religious schools were obliged to be open for state inspection. Landowners were displeased with Bosch's land program. And conservatives disliked the freedom of speech enjoyed by admirers of Castro and others. They were in panic, believing that Bosch was about to turn their country into another Cuba. The U.S. ambassador, Bartlow Marin, accused Bosch of being soft on "Castro Communists." Also, Bosch's reorganization of the military displeased high-ranking military officers, who believed that he was establishing his own rival military power.

Bosch did not bend with the pressures from conservatives, and on September 3, 1963, in a bloodless coup, the military overthrew the democracy, driving Juan Bosch into exile again -- to Puerto Rico. A civilian government was hastily created, while power remained with military men.
Bosch was a man of enormous ego, and was an excellent writer. How he would have performed as President, we'll never know because his 7 month period of power wasn't long enough to judge.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Says who? The Americans right...do us all a favor and stay out of other countries affair...
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the US "right" that invaded the DR. LBJ was the POTUS at the time if I recall correctly.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Back in the day Democrats were more on the right than current age Tea Partiers.
Oh, please. They were not. LBJ ushered in the Great Society with Medicare, Medicaid and Welfare, you know, The War on Poverty. I'd hardly call that "more right than the current Tea Partiers."

Ridiculous.

Besides, don't blame ANYONE today for something that happened 48 years ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh, please. They were not. LBJ ushered in the Great Society with Medicare, Medicaid and Welfare, you know, The War on Poverty. I'd hardly call that "more right than the current Tea Partiers."

Ridiculous.

Besides, don't blame ANYONE today for something that happened 48 years ago.

Couldn't have said it better CB. It was a decade no one who lived through will forget...even if we were still in middle/high school.

AE

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
This is the usual politically correct BS...
As a matter of fact, you can be thankful for Balaguer...
But I understand believing the hype is fashionable, so keep Juan Bosch on his pedestal, and keep on dreaming about how great of a prez he would have been...

I have no goal to be politically correct in my opinion that Juan Bosch would have brought the Dominican Republic down a different path. He was democratically elected by the Dominican people; they decided they wanted him in office; they decided they wanted him to lead their country.

Unfortunately, it's all wouldda and couldda because he was removed by a few who thought the Dominican people didn't know any better.

In the end, we were left with Joaquin Balaguer and his famous quote that set the precedent for the political corruption that keeps the Dominican Republic held down even today: "La corrupci?n se detiene en la puerta de mi despacho" "Corruption stops at the door of my office".

In other words: steal from each other; steal from your country; lie to the people; just as long as it doesn't enter my office.

Last edited:

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
In other words: steal from each other; steal from your country; lie to the people; just as long as it doesn't enter my office.
Are you saying Balaguer is the one who invented corruption in this country ?
Please study your history and I am sure you will be very interested by the "Conquistadores" and the Spaniards way of dealing with things. Just as well, a little look to West-Africa might add a little spice to your perspective...
Juan Bosch was leaning very much towards communism and castrism, in spite of being democratically elect, which doesn't mean a lot down here anyway...
Balaguer has been such a good leader for this nation, but "political sheeps" will only remember the Narcisazo's and not understanding the broader perspective. Hint: just study Fran?ois Duvallier and get a feel of how lack of vision can drive a nation downhill...