CANADA DAY in the DR

nikitasdq

Dec 27, 2010
Hi to all,

Those of you that are older, migth remember me. I am a Dominican woman who was until recently living in London Ontario. Come March I relocated back to the DR. Now in Santo Domingo, single with my two canadian kids. (5 and 3). I was very dissapointed yesterday as I tried to reach the Canadian Embassy to find out if they had any activities planned to celebrate CANADA DAY here in DR since I would like my kids to continue their mixed cultural heritage by celebrating such occasions. I found a gastornomic canadian experience in the Hilton Hotel in the Malecon and went there with the kids as noone answered the phone at the Embassy.

What a disapointment since it was a fixed expensive menu not suitable for children...So back I went without the kids and in company of a friend of mine to dine later that nigth. The food was exquisite and the chef from the Hilton in Toronto, has his chops in place. 5k later I was so satisfied with the food, the sad part was that my girl was all preped up to sing O Canada at the place and it did not happen.

Do any of you know of any celebration that took place and can any of the canadians citizens or residents in the island get together on occasion to celebrate something like this? If not, can we plan to celebrate such ocassions?

I would also like to meet other Canadians living in the DR. I have not made up my mind regarding schooling for the kids since there is a lot to offer in terms of american curriculums but I would like to place them in a school that would be accepted in Canada, for when they decide to pursue higher learning in the future.

I came from Canada because this is my home and my marriage broke down. Isolation was too much for us and specially for me with two kids after living there for 6 years, I had the option of returning. I do miss lots of things about Canada. I am still on time as a Canadian and do not cut off people at lines. I am now a hybrid of these two cultures and I am trying my best to embrace that.

Are there out there any people with similar circumstances? Locals are very naive still about living in Canada and I am tired of explaining the snow and the ice and that yes people do have lives after winter is over.

If anyone would like to get together for a casual coffee, PM me and we can continue getting to know eachother. Great friendships may arise. Who knows? And what have we got to loose?

Wishing you all a great post-Canada Day... I am off to prepare some butter tarts...!
Nikita

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Nikita, you obviously have not struck the right chord with Canadian expats. lol The butter tarts sound great though. good luck with your efforts.
I should arive in the DR in mid july and being a newbee perhaps you can find it in your heart to befriiend a gringo from USA

nikitasdq

Dec 27, 2010
Nikita, you obviously have not struck the right chord with Canadian expats. lol The butter tarts sound great though. good luck with your efforts.
I should arive in the DR in mid july and being a newbee perhaps you can find it in your heart to befriiend a gringo from USA
Would...I have nothing against the US!!!! Loved going shopping there.... Let me know when you hit the island...!

nikitasdq

Dec 27, 2010
There are a lot of us on the north coast. A bit of a hike to Santo Domingo. Kahuna's in Cabarete had a bash yesterday.

Had I known.. I would have come.. I have a relative who lives in Ballardo and I go there often.. Did you guys had a good time?

gilligan

Jun 27, 2011
Good Op. Next year nikitasdq, I'd be bugging the embassy months before Canada Day asking them what they have planned and if nothing, how much you gonna pay me to put something together for you? Make those tax dollars work. I loved talking with the North American expats I met in the DR and when I get back I will welcome the chance to order enough coffees to equal one large double-double and hang out with other North Americans who now live in paradise. Cheers

I loved the story of the green eyed boy who drank presidente!

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Would...I have nothing against the US!!!! Loved going shopping there.... Let me know when you hit the island...!
Nikita, hopefully in mid July. I will start in Cabarette and work my way to the cooler area above Santiago. PS, if the Canadians won't celebrate Canada day us gringos are having a ball here during our 4th of July Independence Day celebration. to bad you can't be in two places at once. lol ! enjoy the weekend, whatever you choose to do.

nikitasdq

Dec 27, 2010
Point taken for not calling with enough time.... I really wish we could expand the relations other than just the odd mariage and visa exchange... I feel sometimes that there is a general prejudice against opening further cultural exchnage other than bech and sand between Canada and the DR. Maybe something I should make an effort on promoting...