What is dominican culture ?

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
I am living here in de DR for 8 years now, in Santiago and i am completely integrated.
All my relations are dominican. Live in a residencial. Speak spanish.
And I have a question.
Here on this forum i read from time to time people who love the dominican culture.
So, my question is : what is your definition of " Dominican culture "?
What I realize :
- no opera house
- no symphonic concerts
- no art galeries
- no cultural events
- no really good restaurants. The " best " for me are Vesuvio, La Briciola, Pez Dorado. For me they are OK, not more. When a Dominican orders a Chateauneuf du Pape, its for showing he has the money to pay and drinks it as a coca cola, eventually with ice........
- Dominican people don't have fine and civilized manners. They are not educated.
- Only the very popular musical "street culture" as merengue and bachata + the barbarian regaeton which has
" a street image"
- no respect for nature.

So I think..... Dominican culture ? What is the definition of it.........
It is regrettable to post this threat.......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why are you still there after 8 years?

There must be something that keeps you there, a beautiful wife(s), good ron, cigars, aqua blue seas, the weather?
I am just a long term tourist a few times a year, and love "The Culture".

tambo'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Things" you listed are assets.not "Culture"! That said,there are many cultural events,mostly in Santo Domingo,and Santiago/ In Santiago the Leon Jimenez center has MANY cultural exhibits.In SD,there are museums,ballet,symphony,music,orchid exhibits,a zoo,a "Jardin Botanico",Colonial zone,baseball,"Stadio Olimpico" events'boxing,cock fights(The Chicken kind!)etc.
and a lot more.

And "My Favorite Culture",..."Casas de Citas"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Some of your "no's" are alive and well in Santo Domingo. I can't speak for Santiago, where you are.

I think some of the culture people refer to is the closeness of the family, the traditions, etc. In many ways, it is how it used to be many decades ago in other parts of the world, intergenerational relationships, caring for their elderly parents, etc. Respect. We have about 20 nieces and nephews in Santo Domingo, ranging in age from about 10 to 30, very well mannered, very respectful, greeting us with the old-time 'Tia/tio, bless me' when they see us.

As for fine and civilized manners - that makes me question your in-laws and friends. There are plenty of Dominicans with manners to spare, who, after 35+ years for me, still amaze me with their classy ways and lifestyles. Vastly different from American manners/ways, for example. A guest in DR is a GUEST.

And it's not a matter of money - I've met a lot of rather poor Dominicans with lovely manners too, although I have to admit most of them were older [50+].

Are there tigueres without an ounce of class or manners? Absolutely.

AE

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
HIRAM, you have to mingle in a higher stratum of friends. sounds to me like you associate with too many chopos and their sisters. i have a bunch of Dominican friends with whom i sit and listen to jazz, on occasion. one guy from Bonao, Cesar, can be counted on to have the latest releases on the day after it hits the market. he has a buddy in Miami who preorders it, and, as soon as it is delivered, he sends it overnight Fed Ex. i cannot accuse him of being an aficionado of reggaeton. besides, Vesuvio is a pretty decent restaurant...at least to me. maybe not Windows on the World level, but, decent, nonetheless.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
AlterEgo reminds

And it's not a matter of money - I've met a lot of rather poor Dominicans with lovely manners too, although I have to admit most of them were older [50+].

it is a study in extremes. i have met some of the finest, most cultured people, in this country. on the flipside, the ones that are not, are positively savage and uncouth. easily the most boorish, brutish people, anywhere. however, there are gems out there...you just have to look in the right places.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Hiram, after reading your post I realized I dont have any culture, dont like Opera houses, sympfhonic concert, galeries or any cultural events and vesubio seems to expensive, not fashionable or stylish. I just try to have manly virtues and substance.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
This thread is doomed by the two very different meanings of the word "culture". Posters are already comparing apples with oranges.

"Culture" to those from Europe popularly means things which are "cultured" like the items which Hiram listed in his OP.

"Culture" to sociologists and anthropologists means (more or less) the way people live, regardless of their social position or educational status.

Those from countries and classes which are seriously deficient in items from the first category tend to use the latter definition, either through unawareness or an inferiority complex.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I am living here in de DR for 8 years now, in Santiago and i am completely integrated.
And I have a question.
Here on this forum i read from time to time people who love the dominican culture.
What I realize :
- no opera house
- no symphonic concerts
- no art galeries
- no cultural events
- no really good restaurants. The " best " for me are Vesuvio, La Briciola, Pez Dorado. For me they are OK, not more. When a Dominican orders a Chateauneuf du Pape, its for showing he has the money to pay and drinks it as a coca cola, eventually with ice........
- Dominican people don't have fine and civilized manners. They are not educated.
- Only the very popular musical "street culture" as merengue and bachata + the barbarian regaeton which has
" a street image"
- no respect for nature.

Strike Pez Dorado as refined or anything close to it. I think the best restaurants are in the Av. Texas area. Small, quaint, true more places to be seen and the food isnt impeccable but still I like them.

Uhm, there is the National Theatre which would have to substitute for symphony hall/opera house. Besides I wouldnt go to see any symphonies nor operas as I tend to stay away from Eurocentric definitions of haute culture. But anyway, every Monday at the National Theatre they do do Latin Jazz night. It used to be free but there may be a cover now, probably 100 pesos.

And you know in any event. There are plenty of venues which could be used for cultural activities. Where? Well, lets look at every commercial/office plaza on Av JP Duarte. The entire rear 3 floors of Terra Mall are empty, plenty of space for local or civic theatre ala chicken circuit in the US South. There is an office plaza across the street from Edenorte that is 3 stories tall and only has ONE client. A Dentist office.....Oh and a Splash ice cream store. 15,000 square feet doing nothing. This is just in the center of the city, in other areas like Gurabo, who knows?

A lending library would be nice though. That is more pertinent to me that an opera house. They dont have an opera house in Miami but have a wonderful public library system.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
This is an incredibly ignorant post, if only for the simple fact that you are berating your host country, a country in which you are a guest.

Another thing that I've gathered is, those who look towards what would be classified as cultured in a dictionary seldom have any class or culture themselves. It's as if you don't know how to act, so you look towards someone else to mimic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And I have a question.
What I realize :
- no opera house
- no symphonic concerts
- no art galeries
- no cultural events
" a street image"
- no respect for nature.

There are a number of art galleries, even in smaller cities, there are good restaurants ( perhaps not great) there is a national theatre, there are numerous cultural events, there are plenty of educated Dominicans,. I'll give you the last - there is little respect for nature for most Dominicans but not all.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There are a number of art galleries, even in smaller cities, there are good restaurants ( perhaps not great) there is a national theatre, there are numerous cultural events, there are plenty of educated Dominicans,. I'll give you the last - there is little respect for nature for most Dominicans but not all.

Well...not really with respect to the first comment. In Santiago there are art furnishing stores, not really galleries. This is why I advocate a lending library. If they saw other interpretations and were exposed to other artforms, visual, literal and musical it would be great. Most of the art galleries are just interesting in selling parochial hokum, oil paintings of fruit or old man smoking pipe type of stuff. If they could put the expression they put in bachata on a canvas, that would be some good stuff.

rivera-diego-retrato-de-ignacio-sanchez.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey! i like "barbarian regaeton"! it is the only youthful music style here. to me bachata and merengue are for someone with rheumatism and erectile disfuntion. old farts, in other words :)
as far as dominican culture is concerened... i think that no one comes here expecting high culture opera and ballet experience. heck, even cinemas are hard to come by in DR (only in bigger cities). the "culture" turistas are talking about is the warmth, family and social life of dominicans. it has quite the appeal for many.
personally, i could not care less for that. i am not a social animal and all this closeness of dominicans does not work it's magic on a misanthrope like myslef.

Jul 3, 2011
It is sad when i read comments like yours, we have a very rich culture, we have fantastic painters, plastic artist, actores, singers, this is a very diverse culture. By your post i can tell we are part of a very proletarian part of this country, the restaurants that u mention are NOT even close to be the best restaurants in here. you need to change your social status and get out of the " colmados" because thats probably were you got all those crazy ideas about this rich fabulous country if you dont like here go back to the states were im very sure you are not part of any cultural movemt. what was the last show you saw on brodway? please....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wonder in what barrio this person (a compliment) is living. He knows nothing about the city after 8 years.
I feel sorry for the poor guy...Too bad, and he thinks he is "integrated" when he is so marginalized.

No art? Uh, Centro Leon? With Calder, Matisse and Picassos?

You know he doesn't know "anybody" since, after 8 years, he does not know me, and he does not know about jazz sessions all over the place, or the occasional orchestra presentations...Agreed that there should be more but there are a few at least.

He does not mingle with any educated people either. A shame. (Have to agree about treatment of Nature, it is something to work for)

HB

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Well...not really with respect to the first comment. In Santiago there are art furnishing stores, not really galleries. This is why I advocate a lending library. If they saw other interpretations and were exposed to other artforms, visual, literal and musical it would be great. Most of the art galleries are just interesting in selling parochial hokum, oil paintings of fruit or old man smoking pipe type of stuff. If they could put the expression they put in bachata on a canvas, that would be some good stuff.

rivera-diego-retrato-de-ignacio-sanchez.jpg

And what does a painting of Diego Rivera who is Mexican has to do with Dominican paintings and artists?

If you think that those paintings expressions that you see selling in a street corner or a shack is all there is about Dominican artists and their work I must say that your knowledge in Dominican art is very limited.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
(Have to agree about treatment of Nature, it is something to work for)

HB

Well for those old enough the States was like the DR in the 60's and 70's. Fortunately, the kids here today are being taught the importance of taking care of the environment.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Santiago is a provincial capital and I would say that compared to most similar sized cities anywhere it holds its own. But in any case SD is less than a couple of hours away. A culture lover living in a comparable city in any country wouldn't think twice about making a trip to a larger city or the capital for the things their smaller provincial city lacks.

And for a capital city of a small Caribbean country Santo Domingo has a healthy amount of culture available, however you define the term. From the so-called Euro-centric, elitist variety to the alternative, experimental, popular and folkloric.

Among my DR circle of friends I have several Dominican friends who could be defined as cultured by anyone's standards: lovers and connoisseurs as well as actual practitioners (if that's the right word) of classical music, jazz, literature, photography, architecture, archaeology, alternative cinema and art. It depends who's in your circle.