Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Insulin. How does it work here for gringo with diabetes?

Im thinking of bringing my 56 y.o father to DR, but he has diabetes and needs insulin in injections. In our country he gets it for free but he has to go under tests etc one in a while to keep receiving it. If i move him over here, how this will work? If i get him insurance will it cover insulin? or i will have to buy it in a drugstore? Is it expensive?

thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

For cryin out loud, why would you think some other country should take care of you if you move there? If you can afford to get to the Dominican Republic, you can afford to buy your own meds. Leave the free meds for poor people who can't afford to buy their own and maybe donate some yourself! I know poor dominicans who buy blood pressure pills one at a time and go without when they don't have the money to get them or money to get to the hospital pharmacy by taxi or concho.

3. Likes RV429 liked this post
    Dislikes SKing, cobraboy, Daniel10 disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Campesina View Post
    For cryin out loud, why would you think some other country should take care of you if you move there? If you can afford to get to the Dominican Republic, you can afford to buy your own meds. Leave the free meds for poor people who can't afford to buy their own and maybe donate some yourself! I know poor dominicans who buy blood pressure pills one at a time and go without when they don't have the money to get them or money to get to the hospital pharmacy by taxi or concho.

Why are you attacking the OP?
    She asked about buying insurance not a handout, this is why people are afraid to ask questions on DR1...sorry Judy... I tell it like it is.

tambo'

5. Likes Peters liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

1. insuline is available in DR over the counter so no doctor visits necessary
    2. it is covered by dominican insurance
    3. but normally insurance does not cover pre-existing condition, not sure about coverage for diabetes then and in any case just one insuline purchase could use up a yearly ambulatory coverage
    4. it is expensive - up to few thousand pesos for a box of flexpen, for example
    5. tell me what medicine your dad takes and i will be able to check you availability and pricing

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

to Campesina: my father is below poor (trust me Ukraine is not sweet place at all and his pension is like 200$ a month while prices are same as in DR and he gives 50% to his ex wife) and i am taking him here to give him a little better life. BUT! im not rich myself at all and i have a child to take care of and nobody takes care of me, so dont judge that fast! I will take him after he sells his mother's apartment that has just passed away, and use that money for his tickets. And if i will have to pay thousands of pesos for meds for a lifetime the bill will hurt me.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DR isn't such a cheap place to live unless you want to live in the same poverty you are coming from. You said yourself prices are the same as Ukrane. What happens when you get to DR and can't afford to get back to where you came from? Who takes care of you, then? He gets "free" meds where he is now. Think ahead, if the "bill will hurt" you, then neither of you can afford to move him here. Nice of you to want to help, but moving and living your new life may cost far more than where you are now. You did say he gets free now and how will that work when you come here? I read your last statements as in addition, not just the only question. My comment was toward your first question.

I don't post often because my opinions can be a little radical but, I feel pretty strongly about this.

9. Likes LittleBird liked this post
    Dislikes SKing disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

But Campesina she didn't ask for your opinion, she asked for the facts. She got the answer from DV8.

11. Likes Tamborista, ExtremeR, fidget liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

he is in ukraina right now? then not sure i can help with the availability of the brand medicine, he may be taking something made in eastern europe. we have few american brands of insuline and total monthly price really depends on the quantity of the units he has to take a day. i would suggest you take your dad to a dominican doctor and have him decide what locally available meds are best for your dad. you have to get him medical insurance thou, it will come in handy, trust me. your monthly payment should not be significantly big as you should be able to add him to your existing plan (providing you have one).
    on a more personal note - i sure hope you have other eastern europeans where you are coz your dad will surely feel lonely and out of place.

13. Likes ExtremeR, JessicaRabbit liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Campesina View Post
    For cryin out loud, why would you think some other country should take care of you if you move there?
    I want like to nominate Judy for Republican of the year. I like your thinking about handouts.

As for test strips and insulin it could run RD3000 a month easy.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...you all know me already so here goes....

Miss Judy.....I don't know who you are and frankly only want to know if you are Dominican. Because since you have so much to say to this woman regarding her poor father, I will match you tit for tat. Don't get me started in the thousands of Dominicans who cone to my country and in 2 months are in line applying for "el medi-que" and "la tarjeta de comida". Not to mention using up daycare vouchers that should be for hard working Americans, to take their kids to daycare while Tia Mécho, Tia Gladis, and Abuela Antonia sit in the rent subsidized apartment watching "Casos de Familia" all damn day.
    The lady asked a question about insurance and medicine. A very valid question. I don't read anywhere in her post where it said..."Where can my dad get free medicine?"

SHALENA

And I had been doing so well these last couple of days......

16. Dislikes Ezequiel disliked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast