Purchasing a new big screen tv

M0823MIKE

May 19, 2006
Any advice on where to find the best prices, which to choose, lcd led or plasma, recent purchasing experiences, buy here or ship from abroad, will be greatly appreciated!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Any advice on where to find the best prices, which to choose, lcd led or plasma, recent purchasing experiences, buy here or ship from abroad, will be greatly appreciated!

There are some incredible deals to be had in the States now, as far as big screen TV'S go. I just recently purchased a 50 inch 1080 3D Hi def Panasonic Plasma Viera, with all sorts of apps.....You Tube, Facebook, Netflix... Skype....ETC.....whole new experience on a 50 inch screen....

Did tons of research, was gonna go with an LED, but for the size, picture quality, Apps 3D and the PRICE, this was a no brainer.

Bought it at Best Buy. Out the door at $1250.00

VERY pleased with this TV.........Plasmas used to have a bad rep, but problems have been corrected......and they are making a comeback. Again that's just me, there's alot to choose from...(in the USA).....and most of it is good...

If ya got the bucks to pay when you land....ship?........go for it, otherwise just buy there.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I just bought a 32" RCA at Jumbo for 18,995 Pesos. It comes with VGA, USB and HDMI connections. I'm also using it as a second (dual) monitor for my desktop. I could save 1,000 Pesos and get a 22" Toshiba.

Feb 7, 2007
Plaza Lama has some occasional deals for flat screens. About 4 months ago I bought 42" Panasonic Viera LCD it was at 34.000 Pesos with taxes and 1 year (Dominican) "warranty". I have seen this set advertised for about 31.500 pesos these days. But the promos come and go.

I decided for LCD because every Plasma I stared at in Plaza Lama and Iberia was giving me mirror reflection. In other words, I was seeing the movie and myself "inside" it. After some online research I decided for this Panasonic LCD.

You can check Plaza Lama specials here ESPECIALES | Plaza Lama

At that time, I was also considering importing from USA, but after all calculations in place, I decided against it. There is a whopping 60% import tax (56% to be exact) which is 20% duty, 20% luxury tax and 16% ITBIS (VAT/sales tax). Plus shipping charges. The end result was that I would be actually saving about 1.000 pesos (US$27) by "importing" as opposed to buying local.

Plus basically no warranty, not even a Dominican one, so anything I would have to pay from my own pocket, plus risk of damaged out-of-the-box item or damaged during transport. Really not worth it at all.

Cheap USA deals are attractive, but importing to the DR is absolute financial hassle, plus you are running enormous risk and forfeiting your warranty (would you ship back those 50 pounds back and forth to USA and then back to DR to claim the warranty??). Unless you are bringing in your own container when moving in and taking advantage of reduced import taxes for new residents, it's absolutely not worth it buying it abroad and importing it.

Last edited: