Fresh Fish

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi everyone: I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy fresh fish PC area. I did have similar posting here last year. Has anyone bought fish in Nacional? I used to buy somewhere off a road near Veron. Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
wow, an island the size of RD with a tremendous coast line and can't find fresh fish ? this could be a real problem or opportunity depending on how it is packaged no ?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
wow, an island the size of RD with a tremendous coast line and can't find fresh fish ? this could be a real problem or opportunity depending on how it is packaged no ?

you might laugh or find it unbelievable, but it is a challenge to find nice, fresh fish here. Almost all is frozen, and the selection is very limited. The fresh fish in La Sirena in POP I do not really trust as the smell is awful.

We buy our fish from a fisherman called, and do not laugh, Johnny Pescador. You order the day before and he tries to deliver. Good prices, as fresh as can be and he is punctual...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not many fish, Chuck, badly overfished.

Wait until you see guys selling carp on the side of the road. Carp. To eat.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Want To "CARP" Here,BUT.......

The Asians love their carp.My 1st. wife was Thai.Great curried carp. I used to go to a lake near our house in Boston,when a fisherman hocked a big carp,I just asked,and they gave me all I could eat! Same with the eels!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is indeed remarkable how little good fresh fish is available in the supermarkets on the north coast. Virtually all of the fish sold in Janet's or Playero is imported with the possible exception of Parrot fish.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The Asians love their carp.My 1st. wife was Thai.Great curried carp. I used to go to a lake near our house in Boston,when a fisherman hocked a big carp,I just asked,and they gave me all I could eat! Same with the eels!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

carp and eel...to die for...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Some people eat dog, monkey brains and hagggis, too.

No accounting for taste, huh?

(yuk)

Yeah, I gave carp away, too.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It is indeed remarkable how little good fresh fish is available in the supermarkets on the north coast. Virtually all of the fish sold in Janet's or Playero is imported with the possible exception of Parrot fish.

The waters around the DR have been fished out, there is no appreciable ocean fishing industry. The roadside fish you see are fresh water mostly.
For the Salmon lover, not a warm water fish has to be flown in.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I have seen Salmon in Playero, but its not fresh, as RV says it has to be flown in.....good luck, I personally like Dorado

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Plenty of these around here in the south.

5902865352_e6a1f44203_b.jpg

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Some people eat dog, monkey brains and hagggis, too.

No accounting for taste, huh?

(yuk)

Yeah, I gave carp away, too.

I used to go to an annual "Robert Burns" party... complete with haggis, (along with the traditional reading of "The Ode to Haggis"). It actually tastes good in small doses, like on a cracker. Drinking the Scotch first gives you the courage to try it, but it tastes good without the whisky. I don't think ANY amount of Scotch could get me to try monkey brains though. As for dog??? My chocolate Lab is looking at me really weird ... I think she can read my mind and knows the topic of discussion. ;-)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
opppsss... meant to ad for the O.P. - Check with Mike Fisher... he might be able to direct you to some fresh fish from the sport fishing guys.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010

Chris carp no eels yes ( only smoked ......carp fresh water eels salt water.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
carp and eel...to die for...

Acria, could be ! lol I do like eels but have to be smoked, caught them all the time while growing up in long island sound. Common years ago a delicacy now though. ( carp ? no way ! lol)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Fresh water carp, freshly caught early in the morning and the same day in the frying pan. As simple as that with a twist of lemon added to it.
Boiled fresh water eel in green herb sauce, caught at night (the eel that is). Famous dish in Belgium and my mothers secret recipe for the sauce...yummie!