Sports: Women's Volleyball - 10th Women?s Pan American Cup 2011

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic downs Canada in straight sets

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, July 1, 2011 – Dominican Republic defeated Canada 3-0 (25-23, 25-15, 25-13) in a contest of Pool A of the 10th Women’s Pan American Volleyball Cup on Friday.

Lisvel Eve registered 15 points to lead the winning cause, including six aces and four blocks, and Prisilla Rivera added 10. Canada’s Sarah Pavan charted 9 points for the losers.

“The Canadian Team played well but we can play better”, Captain Milagros Cabral said. “We are a little scare because of the knee injury of our opposite Altagracia Mambru late in the first set and we hope is not something major.”

Mambru, who scored 8 points, scored point 24 in the first set but twisted her right knee and was taken out to a local hospital for x-rays.

“It was a tough first set and it took a while for us to adjust,” Dominican Republic’s coach Marcos Kwiek said. “I think our serves were the difference during the second and third set.”

“We are disappointed about losing the first set,” Canada’s Tammy Mahon said. “We didn’t have discipline in the next two sets and I hope we can clean up that in our next games”.

“We made 20 errors in the last two sets and we couldn’t play well after the injury to the Dominican player,” Canada’s Arnd Ludwig.

JULY-1-SidarkaNun%C2%A6%C3%A2ez-of-DO.jpg

Dominican Republic crushes Chile

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, July 2, 2011 – Dominican Republic cruised to its second victory in Pool A of the Women’s Pan American Volleyball Cup by registering a 3-0 (25-13, 25-9, 25-20) over Chile who dropped to 0-2 on Saturday.

The Dominicans out-blocked Chile 8-4 and had a wide margin in service winners 7-1.

Bethania De la Cruz led the balanced attack of the winners with 9 points and Sidarka Nu?ez and Prisilla Rivera registered 8 apiece. Milagros Cabral and Lisvel Eve each contributed 7 points to the winning cause. Chile’s Catalina Melo finished with 7 points.

“We played two good sets,” Cabral said. “In the third set, our coach decided to make some changes to give playing opportunity to everyone and also Chile improved their level. Regarding my future, I hope we can make the Olympics in 2012 and then I can retire.”

Marcos Kwiek, coach of Dominican Republic, stated: “We are two different types of teams with different levels. We have been playing in the high level for many years. Chile is in a starting process and they need to stick with their plan.”

“We wanted to play better but there was a difference both physical and in experience,” Chilean Francisca Espejo said. “We played against one of the best teams.”

“They played 100 percent against us in the first two sets and we appreciate it. It makes us to feel good,” Chilean coach Hugo Jauregui said.
JULY-2-Dominicana.jpg

Dominicans stay unbeaten after victory over Argentina

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, July 3, 2011 – Dominican Republic defeated a resilient Argentina in straight sets (25-23, 25-20, 25-19) for its third victory without losses in Pool A of the 10th Women’s Pan American Volleyball Cup on Sunday.

Prisilla Rivera and Bethania De la Cruz finished with 15 and 9 points respectively, leading the winners’ offense. The Dominicans were better in the blocking category 9-4.

“I am very happy because we beat one of the strong teams in our pool,” Dominican Milagros Cabral said. “We trained very hard for this match after watching Argentina playing against Cuba and Canada. They are doing very well.”

“It was a tough match against a strong team,” Argentinean Georgina Pinedo commented. “We could not define our game in the late moments and they never slowed down.”

“Our strategy is to play every game of the tournament as the gold medal match, so I demand seriousness, respect and concentration from my players whoever is the opponent.”

“We keep the focus on getting the pass to the World Grand Prix and this is a tournament with four teams battling for the title and four others fighting for that ticket,” Argentina’s Horacio Bastit said. “Peru, Puerto Rico and Canada are our real challenge.”

JULY-3-Celebrate-of-DOM_-02.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The X Women’s Pan Am Cup set to start in Ciudad Juarez

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, June 29, 2011 – The X Women’s Pan American Cup, a twelve-team qualifier to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix, is set to open on July 1 at two different venues in Ciudad Juarez in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico.

The top four ranked teams of NORCECA and the top two ranked side from South America, including Brazil, will get tickets for the 2012 World Grand Prix, the premier women’s annual volleyball competition.

Defending champions Dominican Republic, Argentina, Canada, Chile, Cuba and hosts Mexico will compete in Pool A at Colegio de Bachilleres Gymnasium, while Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago and United States will play in Pool B at Universidad Aut?noma de Ciudad Juarez Pavilion.

During its ten years of existence, Mexico has hosted the event in seven occasions with the other three editions held in Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and United States.

Cuba is the winningest team in the history of the intercontinental event with a total of four titles while Brazil and Dominican Republic each has two, and United States one. The Dominican Republic has been the most consistent team as the only to finish on the podium in each of the previous nine editions with four silvers and three bronzes added to its two gold medals.

According to the competition formula, the winners of the two pools will secure berth in the semifinals with the second and third place teams will meet in crossed matches in the quarterfinals. The semifinals and medal matches will be played on July 8-9.

Those teams in the pool’s bottom will meet for 11th place and the sides in fourth and fifth positions and the quarterfinal losers will play matches in the 5-10 consolation round.
JUNE%2027%20REPUBLICA_DOMINICANA__CAMPEON__2.jpg

Year by Year Results

Year GOLD SILVER BRONZE
2002 CUB DOM CAN
2003 USA DOM CUB
2004 CUB USA DOM
2005 CUB DOM BRA
2006 BRA CUB DOM
2007 CUB BRA DOM
2008 DOM BRA ARG
2009 BRA DOM PUR
2010 DOM PER USA

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Oh MY, never knew there was such a good women team volleyball in the DR! Way to go!

The DR Women’s National Team is ranked 13 in the world by the FIVB, and 3rd in NORCECA...

The DR's Junior Women's team is ranked 6th in the world by the FIVB, and 1st in NORCECA...

Now what's most impressive on that ranking is that the DR's national team is the youngest participant on both leagues, and they have only started to really participate in the last 10 years as before it was more of a "diplomatic" courtesy to send some local girls to the competitions.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Dominican Republic Team Profile

The Dominican Republic?s team have been have been a regular participant in the FIVB World Grand Prix starting in 2004 with two eighth-place finishes as its best results, including last year when they recorded first ever victories over super powers China and Italy.
Currently ranked No. 13 in the world, they booked their place in this year?s edition of the premier women?s annual volleyball event by winning the 2010 Pan American Cup held in Tijuana, Mexico where they defeated Peru in straight sets (25-17, 30-28, 25-22) in the gold medal match.
It was a successful year for the Dominican side that won the gold medal at the Central American and Caribbean Games for third consecutive time by claiming a dramatic victory in five sets against hosts Puerto Rico (25-19, 19-25, 25-19, 24-26, 15-4). They also took the title at the Final Four Cup in Chiapas, Mexico with a five-set triumph against Peru by score of 16-25, 25-23, 25-23, 22-25, 15-12.
The NORCECA reigning champions won the bronze medal at the 2009 FIVB World Grand Champions Tournament for their best ever result in an FIVB official event.
A mix of seasoned players with promising talents from the junior ranks, the Dominican Republic is one of the teams to watch this year when they will be competing in Poland, Japan and Hong Kong during the preliminary round.
In their first international competition of 2011, they finished second in the China Women?s International Tournament in Beilun with victories over Cuba and the Netherlands.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tnanks to Cristobal Marte!!! A wonderful guy who has supported and pushed this team to greatness....

What one guy and big bucks can do!!

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Tnanks to Cristobal Marte!!! A wonderful guy who has supported and pushed this team to greatness....

What one guy and big bucks can do!!

HB

Agree but trust me - I know, not that level though - without the will of those girls to train and give it all and the spirit to win, you can put in as much money as you want, it won't happen. Woohoo, go DR team!!!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Dominican Republic reaches the semifinals

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, July 5, 2011 ? Defending champions Dominican Republic advanced to the semifinals of the Women?s Pan American Volleyball Cup and booked a ticket to next year?s FIVB World Grand Prix by defeating Cuba 3-1 (18-25, 35-33, 25-20, 25-21) to win first place in Pool A on Tuesday.

Prisilla Rivera and Milagros Cabral each tallied 14 points for the winners while Bethania De la Cruz and Annerys Vargas added 13 and 12 respectively. Cuban Kenia Carcaces had a match-high 18 points and Yusidey Silie finished with 14.

?We knew it was going to be a tough match but I am super happy with the victory,? Dominican Cabral said. ?Now we have two days to prepare tactically for the next round.?

?I think we had many ups and downs and we could not execute well in the key moments and they took advantage of it,? Cuban Silie commented.

?Our serves improved after the first set and we were able to set up our blocking and started to touch many balls which was a key for us,? Dominican Republic?s coach Marcos Kwiek stated.

?Losing the second set had its effect in our young team,? Cuban Juan Gala said. ?We surprised the Dominican team in the first set but they were able to win the second and started from there to dictate the game. I am glad because my young team played well against one of the best team in the world.?
JULY-5-DOM-CUBA.jpg

NORCECA Press

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great going girls!! Congratulations...
I can remember the Norceca tournament here in Santiago in '84 or '85...It was Cuba, Cuba and USA...

HB

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The X Women’s Pan Am Cup set to start in Ciudad Juarez

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, June 29, 2011 – The X Women’s Pan American Cup, a twelve-team qualifier to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix, is set to open on July 1 at two different venues in Ciudad Juarez in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico.

The top four ranked teams of NORCECA and the top two ranked side from South America, including Brazil, will get tickets for the 2012 World Grand Prix, the premier women’s annual volleyball competition.

Defending champions Dominican Republic, Argentina, Canada, Chile, Cuba and hosts Mexico will compete in Pool A at Colegio de Bachilleres Gymnasium, while Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago and United States will play in Pool B at Universidad Aut?noma de Ciudad Juarez Pavilion.

During its ten years of existence, Mexico has hosted the event in seven occasions with the other three editions held in Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and United States.

Cuba is the winningest team in the history of the intercontinental event with a total of four titles while Brazil and Dominican Republic each has two, and United States one. The Dominican Republic has been the most consistent team as the only to finish on the podium in each of the previous nine editions with four silvers and three bronzes added to its two gold medals.

According to the competition formula, the winners of the two pools will secure berth in the semifinals with the second and third place teams will meet in crossed matches in the quarterfinals. The semifinals and medal matches will be played on July 8-9.

Those teams in the pool’s bottom will meet for 11th place and the sides in fourth and fifth positions and the quarterfinal losers will play matches in the 5-10 consolation round.
JUNE%2027%20REPUBLICA_DOMINICANA__CAMPEON__2.jpg

Year by Year Results

Year GOLD SILVER BRONZE
2002 CUB DOM CAN
2003 USA DOM CUB
2004 CUB USA DOM
2005 CUB DOM BRA
2006 BRA CUB DOM
2007 CUB BRA DOM
2008 DOM BRA ARG
2009 BRA DOM PUR
2010 DOM PER USA

I remember watching a game on tv in Cuba where Cuba played the DR and the DR won the game. It was an impressive and exciting game. I am not sure if it was a final or a semi. I believe they played in Santo Domingo and it was before I came here. The DR coach was Cuban so the Cubans where proud of that at least. It was a good promotion for the DR. You could see there was a great atmosfere at the game with the Dominican fans.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My god-daughter is a volleyball player and she is hopeful that she'll become good enough to make the national team. She's only 13 but it gives her a goal. She trains and eats correctly, and concentrates on school and sports instead of boys, so far.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My god-daughter is a volleyball player and she is hopeful that she'll become good enough to make the national team. She's only 13 but it gives her a goal. She trains and eats correctly, and concentrates on school and sports instead of boys, so far.

She has my thumbs up for her. I dislocated both thumbs during my volleyball years when I was 18, the left in the last game we won so going from provincial to national, big party afterwards and I did play out the game with the thumb taped in as secure as possible but I was not going to give up my place in the last 15 minutes and so did not want my trainer. But next training after long healing process for left thumb, I dislocated my right thumb also, probably due to too much pressure in avoiding to use the left too much...end of volleyball career for me but I kept on cheering for my team and I still love to watch a good volleyball match.