What countries import Cars To the Dominican?

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
Hello all. I am looking into buying a car here, and would like information on what countries import cars here and to what extent. I see a lot of euros, but as i found out with my last skoda parts were a little hard to come by. I see that you can get a VW passat for the same price as a Camry that is 10-12yrs older, and there are many similar scenarios...any info you can share would be appreciated.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A. Do you mean exporting a car to the DR?
B. The Country is called The Dominican Republic, a person is Dominican.
C. There are laws against cars older than 5 years old being imported, please try the search function.

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
I found it pretty un-helpful.

A. Read the post it clearly states that i want to "buy one here" in the first sentence.
B. pointless.
C. again pointless, see A.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A. Do you mean exporting a car to the DR?
B. The Country is called The Dominican Republic, a person is Dominican.
C. There are laws against cars older than 5 years old being imported, please try the search function.

Just heard Jose Bautista say how proud he was to have got so many votes for the all-star game from three territories the States, Canada, and the Dominican. Go figure, a Dominican, calling the DR, the Dominican, go figure.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Skip the European cArs. Cpncentrate on Japanese. Toyota, Nissan and Honda are all you can be sure many people know how to fix.

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks RacerX. Most the Toyota's I see look like USA Imports. is that right? or are they straight out of Japan?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Skoda, VW!!!! You like driving or repairing? Those are terrible cars even in the "real world". Get a old Toyota. Every Dominican mecanic can fix them and has a bunch of parts lying around. If you really like fixxin cars then get a Renault. That is the only brand that comes to mind as being worse than a Skoda.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Most come from North America. There are a few from South Korea and other countries. Japanese cars are right hand drive. Usually you can tell by looking at the dash(US cars read mphs not kphs) and the size of the front/rear bumpers.

By and large everything is junk, rebuilds and rollbacks.

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
Skoda, VW!!!! You like driving or repairing? Those are terrible cars even in the "real world". Get a old Toyota. Every Dominican mecanic can fix them and has a bunch of parts lying around. If you really like fixxin cars then get a Renault. That is the only brand that comes to mind as being worse than a Skoda.

I will have you know my Skoda drove like a champ!!!! For 3 glorious months.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Most come from North America. There are a few from South Korea and other countries. Japanese cars are right hand drive. Usually you can tell by looking at the dash(US cars read mphs not kphs) and the size of the front/rear bumpers.

By and large everything is junk, rebuilds and rollbacks.

I can tell when a used car comes from Japan instead of US just taking a quick view on the radio antenna as in Japaneses cars it's located on the right side of the roof or taking a look on the shift if automatic tranny as the letter are in the appositive side of the driver, the windshield wipers always pull to the right side of the car,,,, theses are the called "Carros Cambiao" in DR as they are originally designed for countries where they drive on the left side of the road.

JJ

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
while i got the car guys on here. what is with the chevy rental cars i see here? the ones with the bow tie but they don't have Chevrolet on them anywhere. they kind of look like a cavalier knock off.

Happy 4th and thanks for the answers guys. hopefully i wont be back asking for a good shop~!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
if you want the heads up on those cars you have to go to the Holden website. Holden is the GM subsidiary in Australia and what you are seeing are badge engineered cars for the world market. Or they are built in South America for the GM market there. In Brazil the company is simply called Chevrolet not General Motors. But all in all there is a uniform product lineup amongst the general purpose cars with Chevy being the main distribution name and select division names only exisiting in specific markets.

And to answer your question, there are no good shops. The dude who had a good shop left last month for Canada. So now aall you have are vultures and idiots.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
There are chevrolets built in South America,,at one time they introduced the new Nova, spending 5 million on advertising. Then they found out that NOVA in spanish signifies " Does'nt go

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Chevi Nova was a very popular car back in the years in most Hispanic countries the problem was when Japan started introducing their econo-power lines.
Ex:
Datsun, Nissan, Toyota & Honda quickly became to be leader back in the 1970s
Japaneses are easier to fix....

I mean the old models, I never have to deal with theses newer cars.

JJ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you want the heads up on those cars you have to go to the Holden website. Holden is the GM subsidiary in Australia and what you are seeing are badge engineered cars for the world market. Or they are built in South America for the GM market there. In Brazil the company is simply called Chevrolet not General Motors. But all in all there is a uniform product lineup amongst the general purpose cars with Chevy being the main distribution name and select division names only exisiting in specific markets.

And to answer your question, there are no good shops. The dude who had a good shop left last month for Canada. So now aall you have are vultures and idiots.

Yes, he's gone but there was a suggestion here a long time ago about a fellow in Nagua, behind the Texaco station.... Che by name.
I forget who it was who put his name on here...

Anyway, I went there,,.... he is trained and certified in NY state, speaks English and seems to know what he's doing.

He taught me a little Spanish........
I had a blower problem w/ my air conditioning fan...... I studied up my dictionary - ventilador....

Oh he says, your engine must overheat.... no, I insist (insisting on practising my Spanish)

We go on and on until he finally gets it.....

Oh, says he..... "el blower"............ so much for my dictionary...

Just like the weed whacker....... "el trimmer"