snow bird transportation

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
As an eventual snowbird to the D.R., I'm wondering what others who spend months there, and then are away for months do for transportation? Having rented cars while there (Punta Cana) for a week or so at a time, it's obvious that having wheels is a definite advantage. BUT.. when you fly north again what do you do with your car / jeep / motorcycle??? I'd like for it to be where I left it, (and in one piece), when I return!!! Any and all advice and thoughts are welcome.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Are you planning on purchasing a house here? If so, keep it in the garage, and pay someone to watch the house and car for you.

Where are you planning on living? Will you need a car on a regular basis, or would you be better off renting one or paying for taxis when you need one. I like having my own transportation, but if I were in your position, I would probably consider the cost of purchasing and storing a car as too much. (But I tend to be very cheap.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our neighbours spend 6 months here and 6 months in america. during their absence the car is parked on a driveway and i sometimes see it is taken for a ride (apparently it's not good to let the car stand still for too long). the house is taken care by house keeper who comes every few days and ocasionally spends weekends there.
works well for all parties interested. but you would have to have a trusted friend (car rides) and trusted maid (house sitting).

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
If in the Sosua Area you can park it at sosuaselfstorage.com A few on this board use our services.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My car sits for 2 - 3 months at a time..... if its going to be longer, I have someone start it.

For longer storage periods.... inflate the tires to +35psi and if you are fussy, put a gasoline additive in the fuel to stabilize it.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'll be in Punta Cana / el Cortecito. The self storage center like the one mentioned on the north coast would be ideal, but I don't know of any in the Bavaro area. My condo complex is gated w/24 hr. security, but the parking lot is outside the wall and undoubtedly there will be periods of time when it's not under direct observation. I'm not worried about mechanical issues, battery / tire maintenance, I'm only concerned with security. I know there are no guarantees in life, but wonder about the likely-hood of theft or parts being scavenged off of it. Does anyone else do this or have direct experience?

Feb 20, 2011
As one of your (part-time) Bavaro neighbours I thought long and hard about getting a set of wheels.
In the end I decided against it because I want my beach time to be as simple as possible; thinking of possible issues with the car while I am not there and then maybe deailing with those issues when I return just didn't justify the obvious mobility advantage for me.
I also considered purchase / maintenance / fuel costs and the more I thought about it the less I liked the idea...
Of course it all might depend on how much on-the-road time you see yourself doing on a regular basis but here is how I handle my El Cortecito transportation;
-within 1,000 meters (includes most importantly beach and also basic shopping): got two feet and am not afraid to use them.
- up to 3,000 meters: motoconcho (up to Steve's Corner or Mangu).
- over 3,000 meters: taxi (also under 3,000 meters if motoconcho seems to risky due to extreme amount of Presidente).

Good luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're struggling with the same issue right now.

We go to DR for 2 months at a time now, and when my husband retires [soon!] it will be at least 5 months. For now we rent a car - costs upwards of $2000 a trip for a car [last trip was a Nissan Tilda - which Avis considers a Full Size car, hahaha] because an SUV is ridiculously expensive for months.

Last trip we built an addition on our house and included a large garage with locked gates - the "plan" is to send our Toyota Venza down, but the issues raised above concern me. Cost of shipping it, having it sit for many months at a time, security of the vehicle even with the locked gates, etc., etc., plus having to spend another $30,000+ to replace it in the USA...... A lot to consider.

Using motoconchos isn't for us [I've never been on one, and don't plan to start now!] and taxis do not exist where we live. A car is a requirement, we're not in a touristy area.

Decisions, decisions......

AE

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
AE, bringing a car isn't such an inexpensive task, you might look into the posts on that subject.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
I know of snowbirds in the area who have bought vehicles and when they aren't around rent them to a trusted ex-pat friend for a reasonable rate while they are away. This way the vehicle runs regularly, is more secure since it isn't just sitting somewhere months on end and they cover costs on insurance, maintenance and perhaps some of their mortgage or loan payments. Of course this would only be something you would want to consider with someone you trust fully and may not be the best option but at least you're getting money for it and not paying to store it.

Lifestooshort

Jun 27, 2011
I have a warehouse in Santiago that we operate a business out of that at this point is way too big for our needs. Does anyone have an interest in having us "store" an automobile (inside and within a security-fenced yard.) We could have it fully fueled, washed and ready waiting at the airport when you arrive. I just don't want to be in the situation of having a 24/7 storage facility where someone wants access to a box of personal goods on a Saturday night. Let me know your thoughts, if this is a real need we will see what we can do to accomodate you and others...Thanks, Ed

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We're struggling with the same issue right now.

We go to DR for 2 months at a time now, and when my husband retires [soon!] it will be at least 5 months. For now we rent a car - costs upwards of $2000 a trip for a car [last trip was a Nissan Tilda - which Avis considers a Full Size car, hahaha] because an SUV is ridiculously expensive for months.

Last trip we built an addition on our house and included a large garage with locked gates - the "plan" is to send our Toyota Venza down, but the issues raised above concern me. Cost of shipping it, having it sit for many months at a time, security of the vehicle even with the locked gates, etc., etc., plus having to spend another $30,000+ to replace it in the USA...... A lot to consider.

Using motoconchos isn't for us [I've never been on one, and don't plan to start now!] and taxis do not exist where we live. A car is a requirement, we're not in a touristy area.

Decisions, decisions......

AE

AE, we are there about 5-6 months a year and shipped our car under the residency rule.

It stays in the covered garage, I should cover w/ a tarp but I don't.
Storing a vehicle isn't hard... the worst thing you can do is to start it intermittently.
Like the old song "All or nothing at all"
Short starts create condensation..... not good.

You can overinflate the tires, use a battery tender and stabilise the gas (leave it full, again to combat condensation)

I have to do the same thing on the US end - store the car for the winter...

It sat for 6 months this year... but fired right up and drove off after being stored as above.

I have a Venza too.... I'm not sure how it would like RD.... maybe someting a bit rougher is req'd.... dunno.

The renting is money down the drain.... we've all done it.

When you "make the move"... will nobody be getting residency so you can import a car?
Need to own for a year prior to importation..... you know the rules...

Hope this helps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, we are there about 5-6 months a year and shipped our car under the residency rule.

It stays in the covered garage, I should cover w/ a tarp but I don't.
Storing a vehicle isn't hard... the worst thing you can do is to start it intermittently.
Like the old song "All or nothing at all"
Short starts create condensation..... not good.

You can overinflate the tires, use a battery tender and stabilise the gas (leave it full, again to combat condensation)

I have to do the same thing on the US end - store the car for the winter...

It sat for 6 months this year... but fired right up and drove off after being stored as above.

I have a Venza too.... I'm not sure how it would like RD.... maybe someting a bit rougher is req'd.... dunno.

The renting is money down the drain.... we've all done it.

When you "make the move"... will nobody be getting residency so you can import a car?
Need to own for a year prior to importation..... you know the rules...

Hope this helps.

WW, I know what you mean about money down the drain, it hurts!!!

Actually, we chose the Venza because it's AWD and a Toyota, with the plan of sending it down to DR. For how and where we drive we don't need an SUV, truck or 4WD. When we go up to Ocoa to our other property we always go with my husband's brother, 4WD pickup.

I don't know if I'll ever bother with residency, to be honest, but my husband is entitled to a car and container as a "returning Dominican". I won't be mentioned in any of the paperwork [his cedula says he's single - 35 years after the fact - we never bothered to correct it], so if some year in the future I decide to get residency we might be entitled to another car and container in my name. I've had conflicting info on that.

Thanks for the tips!!

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You're welcome AE.

I think he gets to bring a car as a returning citizen....

The AWD venza is fine in most areas.....you know your neighborhood.....
You're right about Toyota reliability/repair.

Feb 20, 2011
I think I changed my mind about not wanting car in Cortecito because the motoconcho I was riding on last week got hit by a much-to-fast car who of course also did not stop after he hit us. It happened in the evening not far from Steve's Corner, motoconcho finished, driver injured - for me, a big angel must have broken my fall - no broken bones.
Now I figure it may be worthwile to get a (drivable) used car that does not cost a fortune.
Would anyone know of a reputable used car dealership in Punta Cana / Bavaro; don't really care about shiny wheels and fancy looks - just something that rides when you need it to for say up to USD 5,000?