Lap band surgery

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Does anybody know the current price range for lap band surgery here in the DR? It is for a Dominican friends wife.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, it depends on where and by whom. also what procedure exactly will the doctor recommend.
my aunt, who also happens to be a very respected plastic surgeon not only does these operations but also had it done herslef. worked like a miracle, i must say.
a friend had it done few weeks ago in SD, i shall ask her how much was it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, the girl who did it just few weeks ago paid 11.000 dollars. bear in mind two things: she is very rich so she'd use the best clinic/doctors. she is also affiliated somewhat with private clinicisc associacion so she got a nice discount. so this 11k would make an average price, more or less...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
ok, the girl who did it just few weeks ago paid 11.000 dollars. bear in mind two things: she is very rich so she'd use the best clinic/doctors. she is also affiliated somewhat with private clinicisc associacion so she got a nice discount. so this 11k would make an average price, more or less...

Wow that's very expensive for The DR IMO. For that money I would get it done in The US, where if something goes wrong you can at least sue your doctor plus the level of care is much better. Not sure how much it is in The US, but I would dare say it's not that much more expensive. I'm surprised to see it costs that much.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
JD Jones has it right....many lose tons of weight..."no pun intended he he"...over time they do gain it back without the proper education and follow up to the surgery, the surgery alone is not the answer, the stomach will stretch back, the band sometimes slips, it need adjustment frequently. There is a need for counciling, Nutritionist and dietician monitoring as well. Gastric bypass surgery is the permanant answer, however I have heard some gain back this weight as well.

They wouldn't call it a "Losing Battle" if it were not true....Good Luck to your wife's friend....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I agree, it is best to do a surgery in the states. It costs from $8000 to $30 000 in the US. $11 000 is very expensive for a foreign clinic.