the music scene in DR?

malaica

Jul 5, 2011
I wanted to ask about the music scene in DR.

Is it very musical, like Cuba or Puerto Rico or Brazil?

Are there many clubs with live music?

Do they have Jam Sessions?

Are there any foreigners playing on the island.

Are there any formal music schools?

Thanks !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not the best one to answer but in general I would say Yes to all of the above.

HB

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Id like to see RUSH on the Beach in Bavaro.. "And their marching to Bastille Day, the guillotine will claim her bloody price"

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
See the website:
Jazzendominicana.com
It's musical info about SDQ but a start.

malaica

Jul 5, 2011
Music is my hobby, i'd like to retire in a place where i can play and teach music,
eventally getting involved with bands and musical projects.
Cuba is impossible to live, Trinidad has too much crime. I am considering DR.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Music is an integral part of life here as is dancing. I have seen many instances and locations where live music is played and many "extras" join the band for a song or two - playing singing or just being a nuisance.... Depending on the area you will find differences in the music scene.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was a part time musician when I lived in the US.

On the north coast the music that is played in the clubs geared at Dominicans is either Tipico, guitar based merengue or bachata. These bands tour the island and many have their music played on local radio stations. Some even play out of the country in New York, Canada and Europe.

There are a couple of expat musicians that play in the local clubs, but things are slow right now for them.

Malaica, what kind of music do you like to play and what instrument(s) do you play?