Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation AMEX credit card fraud Santo Domingo

My american express credit card was copied a month ago at one of the following places in the capital:
    Restaurante Angelo @ plaza de Espaņa, zona colonial
    Restaurante Museo de Jamon @ plaza de Espaņa, zona colonial
    Garden Restaurant Villar Hnos @ av Independencia, gazcue
    Restaurant of hotel El Seņorial @ Pdte Vicini Burgos, gazcue
    Europcar car rental agency @ av Independencia, gazcue
    Be careful people and don't use your card in these places!!

My suspicions go out to one of the restaurants' staff since it's the only place where you give the card to the waiter, he disappears with it and you get it back with the slip to sign. With Europcar I never had problems in the past but the staff looked all new to me this time. The forgers only started using the cloned card 2 weeks later which makes me think that they didn't make the clone at the same time I was there but only days later.

They only used it to have a feast at McDonald's and to tank gasoline for their cars at a Shell station. 'Only' 277 euros, which Amex will pay me back. Amex was very quick in reacting to inquire about the fraudulant transactions and in replacing my card with a new one, so no harm done, but it leaves an awkward feeling.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the only time we had our card copied was... in america. banco popular did return monies no problem and issued a new card. we use it in DR all the time, in shops, resturants, ferreterias, you name it. never ever a problem. so far.
    i never kinda liked credit card thingies, why they have no PIN? why miesposo can sign my recipe and i can sign his? rubbish things.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Bartolomeo, don't be so fast to accuse those establishments - I'd bet something happened when one of the transactions was processed at a higher level. In January our Amex was only out of my purse once - to rent a car at Avis - and it was only a 'hold', not even a charge, and I received a message from Amex asking if I bought an airline ticket in Arizona. I hadn't even returned the car yet.

AE

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i never kinda liked credit card thingies, why they have no PIN? why miesposo can sign my recipe and i can sign his? rubbish things.
    You can set PIN for some credit cards. There are also cards that can be used as Credit/Debit with PIN, just use those.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Bartolomeo, don't be so fast to accuse those establishments - I'd bet something happened when one of the transactions was processed at a higher level. In January our Amex was only out of my purse once - to rent a car at Avis - and it was only a 'hold', not even a charge, and I received a message from Amex asking if I bought an airline ticket in Arizona. I hadn't even returned the car yet.

AE
    Exactly!! Often, the fraud does not take place at the establishment, it happens upstream. We have covered this many times on the board.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert & AlterEgo, you might be right that it didn't happen at the establishment, it could explain the time lapse between the transactions and the first fraud cases, I didn't think about that. Still, I was there early April as well and used my Amex card in Santo Domingo without any problem...
    Amex told me the card was really physically cloned, not just the data, and used in and around Santo Domingo.
    Bart

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Very often it is the domestic credit card processing center that has security problems leading to 'cloned cards,' not the establishments themselves. Just sayin, because we got accused once also and the investigation concluded it was the local visa card center.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy at the Europcar agency in Puerto Plata airport copied all the infomation on my card. I wrote Europcar and explained I was a victim of credit card fraud and what happened at the counter. It was the only place I used my credit card on that trip.
    Never heard from Europcar and the guy was still working at the counter six months later. I never had any problems with Avis, so I just pay a little more for the security and piece of mind.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My only problems have come with the car rentals...... I don't rent anymore

it was always the rental agency....... AMEX was always very nice about it.

The car man writes down the info... I have seen him do it..

I truly doubt this "up the line" theory...... just me

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I don't doubt it at all.

It's a hugh problem for CARDNET. They've had their employees arrested on many occasions. It also usually comes out in the local papers. Have you read any local papers lately?
    I say.... its just me...

I do not believe ONE WORD in the papers,,,, and I expect , on most days, you take things w/ a grain of salt......

I can only to speak to my personal experience..... it was the car rentals.

What is your personal experience?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast