Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank account wiped out

Today my husband's uncle [Dominican] called to chat and let us know his wife died. Tio [early 70s] retired in DR and moved to Manhattan awhile back, was driving a cab [even got shot once, but that's another story]. He wintered in SD, summered in NY. He had a government pension in DR, and it was direct-deposited into his BanReservas account every month.

To make a long story short, he flew to Santo Domingo without much cash because he had a lot of money in his bank account, plus all the pension money that had gone in there over the years. He got to the bank and found out it had been wiped out. [They're "investigating"]. Poor guy didn't want to bother anyone, so he drove his Toyota Prado to a dealer and sold it to get quick cash - they gave him a measly 90,000 pesos. He got robbed twice, if you ask me.

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!... I hope that works out for him.....

There must be an explanation..... espero

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Friends"?

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    ... he drove his Toyota Prado to a dealer and sold it to get quick cash - they gave him a measly 90,000 pesos. He got robbed twice, if you ask me.
    When in need, Dominicans are friends indeed.
    [Does not apply to car dealers.]

donP

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    When in need, Dominicans are friends indeed.
    [Does not apply to car dealers.]

donP
    Just can't help yourself? payaso.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy smokes!!! That is horrible! Somebody saw an account with no activity, so they took it...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Today my husband's uncle [Dominican] called to chat and let us know his wife died. Tio [early 70s] retired in DR and moved to Manhattan awhile back, was driving a cab [even got shot once, but that's another story]. He wintered in SD, summered in NY. He had a government pension in DR, and it was direct-deposited into his BanReservas account every month. To make a long story short, he flew to Santo Domingo without much cash because he had a lot of money in his bank account, plus all the pension money that had gone in there over the years. He got to the bank and found out it had been wiped out. [They're "investigating"]. Poor guy didn't want to bother anyone, so he drove his Toyota Prado to a dealer and sold it to get quick cash - they gave him a measly 90,000 pesos. He got robbed twice, if you ask me.

AE
    Wow a real tragady, does BanReservas not guarantee the return of his money ?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck T View Post
    Wow a real tragady, does BanReservas not guarantee the return of his money ?
    No "guarantees" in DR. No bank accounts are insured either, if the bank folds your money folds with it.

Another DR1er had this happen a couple of months ago - up north, if I remember correctly. Wonder how theirs turned out???

AE

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is sad. This is an elderly gentlemen who worked all of his life and now some a$$hole stole his money. I hope they have a good fraud division.

SHALENA

Post Thanks / Like

No "guarantees" in DR. No bank accounts are insured either, if the bank folds your money folds with it.

Another DR1er had this happen a couple of months ago - up north, if I remember correctly. Wonder how theirs turned out???

AE
    If I recall correctly, banks accounts are "insured" upto RD$500,000.00.

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, banks deposits are "insured" upto RD$500,000.00

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast