Traveling Solo Want to Party and Dance with Locals- Best Place to stay

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
I am planning a trip to the Dominican Republic. I plan to travel alone. I was considering going to Be Live Hamaca because it's cheap. It's in Boca Chica. I am not really to picky about where I stay as long as it's safe. I want to be able to go out alone day and night and dance merengue and bachata with locals. Can someone recommend the best place to stay where I can do this. I am traveling solo. I live in NYC. I also looke Domincan but I'm sure everyone will be able to tell immediately I'm not from there from my dress. The Dominican guys on my job keep telling me it's not safe to travel or go out alone in DR. I don't really drink alcohol and am pretty street savy having grown up in the NYC. But things are up here at their worst are not as bad as down there in terms of the severity of poverty.

I'm also worrying a bit about the expense of being able to get to a town and back as I don't drive will have to rely on taxis to get me to and from the place.

I am kind of between going to a resort in Puerto Plata and the resort in Boca Chica.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
By picking Boca Chica you about to make your first mistake, the dancing you will do will not be with locals but with "working" locals, pickpockets, etc. The guys at work don't know what they are talking about, the DR is fine for a solo traveler just not Boca Chica, but take normal precautions anywhere you go.
For your best time go to POP and stay in Sosua or Cabarete, you don't need a car, there are inexpensive hotels at even $30/nite with pool and you can have a great time partaying. Don't go to Boca Chica.

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
What's POP?

RV thank you for your quick response. What is POP though? I thought maybe Puerto Plata?

Also do you have recommendation on where I can find the names of these hotels that charge $30/night. Like a good website. I feel like tripadvisor or anything else I put into the google machine only seems to spit out expensive hotels.

I will take your advice and start looking into Sosua and Caberete.

The guys on the job are all from Santiago. They travel around by car. They usually rent Mercedes Benzes and ride around enjoying night life. So I guess when you're in an expensive car you need to have people around so you don't get rolled on. lol

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
Jose. Definitely! It's important to share information. After I get back I will write about everything. Places I went and my impression.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes Osaka, POP = Puerto Plata. The link above is great, Alegria is a hotel in Cabarete to consider, owner posts often. In Cabarete and Sosua you can walk or motochoncho anywhere you want, plenty to do and see.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Perhaps it would be more helpful from an advice standpoint as to what you would really like to experience in the DR. To say you want to party and dance with the locals won't get you to much. I go to Boca Chica all the time. It is not a place to rule out depending on what your likes are. The one thing you should rule out is staying at an all-inclusive. You won't experience crap--except maybe what you get from getting their recycled food for 3-4 days. If you would like to know more about BC, where to stay, eat etc. Feel free to PM me. There's a hotel run by guys that lived in NYC and speak english. Right in the heart of the action. If being near the water is'nt important maybe you could pm Badpeice for info on Santiago. To much press about Puerto Plata is bad. BC is safe if you hang in the tourist area. Undercover police etc. Italians have taken over there and building hotels rest. etc. A domincian friend told me the 1st part of june that BC is now 28% italian. Do you speak spanish? This also a major consideration.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Hey Osaka, Do you speak Japanese? Just asking because of your user name.

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
Just want to dance and party

Yes I speak Japanese. I am not super fluent but I can hang out and date women who don't speak any English at all. I would have trouble watching the news or something like that. But I can totally speak. It has been over five years since I have studied but I can still hold a fairly decent conversation and can also write. I studied the language 7 years had numerous Japanese roommates and more Japanese girlfriends than I care to admit to.

I am not going to DR to screw prostitutes. Just wanna throw that out there. I live in NYC and have been going to party at Dominican clubs lately and love the music especially merengue and especially (much to my neighbors chagrin) Tipico. It is fun to dance to. And it would be nice to dance in a more casual atmosphere in the home of the music. I also look forward to walking around the town and lounge about, but it is very important for me to be able to easily go someplace that is safe and be able to dance and party.

Yes I can speak some Spanish. I am very far from fluent. My Japanese is much better but I have several Domincan guys that work with me. Two speak no English and I can communicate with them and totally understand them because I know enough words along with body language to fill in the blanks. So I can definitely go communicate with folks. And I rubbed the dust off the covers of my copy of Dos Mundos and am brushing up. I also know how to speak politely to people. Use the Ud form of verbs when addressing older folks etc.

I know it sounds kind a weird to just want to go someplace and dance but that is the most important thing to me is hanging out socializing with local ladies. I don't care if I sleep with someone or not. There are a kabillion Domincan women up here in NYC. I'm just looking to have fun and party and meet some folks and have a good time.

I'm going to head to Puerto Plata. The flight is much cheaper than SD. Also the times the flights leave are much saner. Allegria looks awesome!!! Can't thank you guys enough for all your advice!!!!

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
The Domincan guys I work with are all from Santiago except one. You need a car to get around. They offered to take me along with them when they go. I may do that later this year. But my first trip I want to go solo unattached to anyone. Thank you for the advice though!!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
IN Santiago a car may be needed but not in PP or Sosua or Cabarete. And renting/driving in the DR can be a nightmare so using public means of transport is much better. When/if you go with your associates you will see a different side than the tourists see, very different and fun.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Go to Cabarete to Dance. 20 minutes from POP
The OP said they wanted to dance Merengue and Bachata with the locals. Where in Cabarete can you do that? Almost all American/English music in the discos as far as I know. There was recently a Dominican band in a bar almost opposite the Politur station on a couple of Sundays and it was greatly enjoyed by locals and gringos but now that's stopped. Most tourists I know would love to be able to dance to more live Dominican music.

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
The OP said they wanted to dance Merengue and Bachata with the locals. Where in Cabarete can you do that? Almost all American/English music in the discos as far as I know.

Wow that's crazy. So is the whole area just set up for American's amusement? Do the people that live there not go out and dance? That sounds weird because the Dominicans up here love to dance. I mean you guys are down there so you know better than me but I would imagine they must be somewhere dancing. It doesn't have to be a club for me. A bar would be A okay. Ha Ha. Just as long as the merengue is thumping and people's feet are moving. And I don't have to worry about getting robbed outside the club bar venue. lol

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
RV> Yes! 90% of their conversation revolves around how they will take me to this club and that club and how I will sleep with a different girl every night. Lol! And they are older guys like in their mid to late forties. I'm like I don't want to get a STD. Lol!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Did'nt know the flts. were cheaper to POP. You may want to do a search for Base and the other clubs in SD. There was recently a thread regarding this and the clubs on Ave. Venezula. You can also check You Tube for some of these places. You might feel a bit restricted on the north coast. Since sun and beach are not your deal SD may be the best place to start and meet the city Dominicans--not touristy. To get the real flavor you need to get out into the country--small towns and villages. That to me is the best. Hopefully you will meet someone on this trip you can trust to take you there now or a later visit. That's where the smiles are!!

Osaka

Jul 6, 2011
Deyvi> I have one guy that works with me who is from SD. He offered to let me stay with his son for free and he would take me everywhere and again 90% about what women were going to do to me sexually. But I am leary of going to stay with someone who I have never met in my life. And the guy lives in the SD equivalent of Marcy Projects or something. I don't want to have to duck shots on vacation. There is enough of that craziness here in NYC.

I made a penpal through Amigos.com She lives in SD and even she told me don't come there by myself. And the guys at work are all like SD alone no way. Especially not at night because the situation down there is really bad and stick ups and drugging people are common. Also they deported tons of drug dealers from NYC and they are now in SD.

But I will try to look at it some more. There is a women in SD that has website all about Zona Colonial and she was willing to help me out with finding a hotel for $30/night. But I got sketched out by everyone telling me don't go solo.

Perhaps if I give money to the hotel staff in Caberete one of them can take me along with them dancing.