Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling Solo Want to Party and Dance with Locals- Best Place to stay

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Traveling Solo Want to Party and Dance with Locals- Best Place to stay

I am planning a trip to the Dominican Republic. I plan to travel alone. I was considering going to Be Live Hamaca because it's cheap. It's in Boca Chica. I am not really to picky about where I stay as long as it's safe. I want to be able to go out alone day and night and dance merengue and bachata with locals. Can someone recommend the best place to stay where I can do this. I am traveling solo. I live in NYC. I also looke Domincan but I'm sure everyone will be able to tell immediately I'm not from there from my dress. The Dominican guys on my job keep telling me it's not safe to travel or go out alone in DR. I don't really drink alcohol and am pretty street savy having grown up in the NYC. But things are up here at their worst are not as bad as down there in terms of the severity of poverty.

I'm also worrying a bit about the expense of being able to get to a town and back as I don't drive will have to rely on taxis to get me to and from the place.

I am kind of between going to a resort in Puerto Plata and the resort in Boca Chica.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me kno how it es. I am travelin there alone also but to santo domingo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

By picking Boca Chica you about to make your first mistake, the dancing you will do will not be with locals but with "working" locals, pickpockets, etc. The guys at work don't know what they are talking about, the DR is fine for a solo traveler just not Boca Chica, but take normal precautions anywhere you go.
    For your best time go to POP and stay in Sosua or Cabarete, you don't need a car, there are inexpensive hotels at even $30/nite with pool and you can have a great time partaying. Don't go to Boca Chica.

4. Likes Osaka liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Josemexicano, try POP also.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's POP?

RV thank you for your quick response. What is POP though? I thought maybe Puerto Plata?

Also do you have recommendation on where I can find the names of these hotels that charge $30/night. Like a good website. I feel like tripadvisor or anything else I put into the google machine only seems to spit out expensive hotels.

I will take your advice and start looking into Sosua and Caberete.

The guys on the job are all from Santiago. They travel around by car. They usually rent Mercedes Benzes and ride around enjoying night life. So I guess when you're in an expensive car you need to have people around so you don't get rolled on. lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose. Definitely! It's important to share information. After I get back I will write about everything. Places I went and my impression.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Osaka, POP = Puerto Plata. The link above is great, Alegria is a hotel in Cabarete to consider, owner posts often. In Cabarete and Sosua you can walk or motochoncho anywhere you want, plenty to do and see.

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it would be more helpful from an advice standpoint as to what you would really like to experience in the DR. To say you want to party and dance with the locals won't get you to much. I go to Boca Chica all the time. It is not a place to rule out depending on what your likes are. The one thing you should rule out is staying at an all-inclusive. You won't experience crap--except maybe what you get from getting their recycled food for 3-4 days. If you would like to know more about BC, where to stay, eat etc. Feel free to PM me. There's a hotel run by guys that lived in NYC and speak english. Right in the heart of the action. If being near the water is'nt important maybe you could pm Badpeice for info on Santiago. To much press about Puerto Plata is bad. BC is safe if you hang in the tourist area. Undercover police etc. Italians have taken over there and building hotels rest. etc. A domincian friend told me the 1st part of june that BC is now 28% italian. Do you speak spanish? This also a major consideration.

11. Likes Osaka liked this post
    *** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Osaka, Do you speak Japanese? Just asking because of your user name.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast