Invitation with "traje formal"

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I was just invited to an event in santo domingo, and the bottom of the invitation says "traje formal". I assume that means black tie or just normal suits?
Leonel will be present, but I am not sure that makes a difference?

if tux is required, can anyone recommend a tux rental place in la capital?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say it means just normal suits. If it says "smoking" that means you are expected to wear a tux.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I would go for the man for a dark or grey suit with white shirt and black tie or black butterfly tie and nice shiny black shoes. Go for a manicure of the fingernails.
For the woman a nice coctail dress but can even be a long evening dress with some nice heeled open shoes (do a proper pedicure and manicure!).

Should keep a moderate balance, nothing to flashy but with style, can't never go wrong with that in any culture. And here in the DR you don't have to worry about naked shoulders but a nice shawl is always a nice touch added to the dress of a woman.

Acira

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was juzt about to write "dress and high heels" based on a subject alone. who knew man would ask such thing? :)
nice shirt, shoes and a suit. wear a tie but do not expect much, some of the politicians even at the official parties look like plumbers...

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hey DV8 I was invited to the 4th of July celebration at the American Embassy last Monday and I will say 90% of the invities wear Guayabera (chacabana) which was the dress code for men. You have no clue what's ever about a Dominican when is asked to dress up for a party. We really know how to do it based on our history of always trying to pretend that you are someone important. Wear a nice suit with tie. there is a place on Dr. delgado en avenida Bolivar where you can rent your complete suit my friend

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thanks for the info. I have suits, just was worried "traje formal" might have meant tuxedo, which I don't have. . .lol. Wouldn't want to be the only person showing up without one, but then again would not want to show up in a tux and every one else is just in normal suit and tie.

It is for the inauguration for a museum and as I said Leonel will be there, otherwise the word tux would have never entered my mind. I'll make sure to shine my shoes and leave the pumas at home! lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hey DV8 I was invited to the 4th of July celebration at the American Embassy last Monday and I will say 90% of the invities wear Guayabera (chacabana) which was the dress code for men. You have no clue what's ever about a Dominican when is asked to dress up for a party. We really know how to do it based on our history of always trying to pretend that you are someone important. Wear a nice suit with tie. there is a place on Dr. delgado en avenida Bolivar where you can rent your complete suit my friend

dude, i think you misunderstood my post as dominican bashing. i meant nothing like that. i have seen all sort of poutfits on "traje formal" occasions in DR but i think a suit would do best. you can always put a tie in your pocket if the party turnes out less formal ;)
chacabana i would not be seen dead in. miesposo had one or two and gave them away. they are truly fugly!