Weather predictions for my first time in Punta Cana?

lynn@thebeach

Jul 6, 2011
Hello all,

I've been planning and looking forward to my trip to Punta Cana in August. We will be arriving on August 23rd and departing on August 28th. However, I am slightly (very) nervous about the weather in August in Punta Cana :nervous:.

Originally when we booked this trip, way back in February, I had no worries - maybe it was because it was too far to obsess about the weather. Now that it is right around the corner (48 days - but who's counting!) I just don't know what to expect. Am I doomed because I booked my second vacation, ever, right smack in the middle of hurricane season?

I know that nothing is guaranteed but I am curious as to if anyone is familiar with the weather in Punta Cana around the last couple weeks in August. When I watch/look at the weather it looks like it's always raining, but actual people who vacation or live in this area don't seem overly concerned?

Any words of wisdom?
Thnx :cool:,
Lynn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to worry. We have outstanding forecasting capacity, excellent group of watchers and then we have Mike Fisher, a guy down the beach aways that sort of heads our hurricane season posting.

Of course, you are right; that far ahead we are only guessing.

But, remember this. Hurricanes, well planned for, can be more fun!! Really. As long as you have food, water and some good booze, and are safe, who cares???

Generally speaking I would advise you to bring lots of sun block, some good bug repellant (OFF Deep Woods), some light slacks, a sweater for the air conditioned rooms, and your tooth brush and tooth paste. And lots of good spirits.

I'll tell you a story about something that happened over in La Romana after hurricane Georges went through. The Casa de Campo complex was hard hit, but they kept on working. (Eventually spending something like $400 million on repairs and renovations!!!)

Anyway, this businessman comes in late in the afternoon looking for a room any room after a hard day. The Front Desk guy tells him that they are in a bad way after the hurricane, but they might have a room with a bed for him...okay the guy says.

About 3 o'?lock in the morning the guy wakes up to water falling on his bed and calls the
Front DesK.

Hey, this is Mr. Jones in room 3105!!! There is water coming from my ceiling, the roof must be leaking.

Front Desk: Sir, there is no roof on that building!!

So, if you have a hurricane during your stay, you will have some wonderful stories to tell, but do not worry...they are fun...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
East coast is correct. Either it got moved by a mod after Chuck posted or he is simply confused. :)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Hello all,

I've been planning and looking forward to my trip to Punta Cana in August. We will be arriving on August 23rd and departing on August 28th. However, I am slightly (very) nervous about the weather in August in Punta Cana :nervous:.

Originally when we booked this trip, way back in February, I had no worries - maybe it was because it was too far to obsess about the weather. Now that it is right around the corner (48 days - but who's counting!) I just don't know what to expect. Am I doomed because I booked my second vacation, ever, right smack in the middle of hurricane season?

I know that nothing is guaranteed but I am curious as to if anyone is familiar with the weather in Punta Cana around the last couple weeks in August. When I watch/look at the weather it looks like it's always raining, but actual people who vacation or live in this area don't seem overly concerned?

Any words of wisdom?
Thnx :cool:,
Lynn

Your funny......VERY NERVOUS about what the weather is gonna be in August for your 5 days in paradise? Your gonna sweat this out for another 48 days!!!..............YIKES!!!!!!!!........wouldn't wanna to be around you if you forgot your toothbrush................I get the feeling THERE WOULD BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!!!

RELAX and CHILL, have a great vacation!!...............Nobody can predict the weather that far ahead of time.

Not even Anastacio...............(sorry, couldn't resist)

lynn@thebeach

Jul 6, 2011
It's okay! It happens! I wouldn't have known what coast it was on if it wasn't directly posted under "East Coast!"

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
It's okay! It happens! I wouldn't have known what coast it was on if it wasn't directly posted under "East Coast!"
Lynn , what I didn't mention that I'm a sailor and up until last year sailed and lived on my boat for over ten years. Talk about brain dead. lol

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Changes in latitude, changes in attitude. I'm gonna' ditto Rice&Beans. Correct, can't predict the weather, let alone any big storms, (hurricanes). That's really not the issue here though. To thoroughly enjoy your HIGHLY anticipated vacation in the D.R. you're going to require an attitude adjustment. You need to take a deep breath... then another one. You're going to have to TRY to avoid the strong urge to plan for, expect, or in any way anticipate "the perfect vacation". ONLY when you're ready to accept the off-beat, always a surprise, "Slightly Askew"?, Kafkaesque (look it up), nature of this tropical paradise... only THEN will you fully enjoy yourself. In other words... keep your mind open, leave your expectations at home, and enjoy it as it comes! If you go with an agenda of expectations, you're just going to be one of those poor pathetic souls who HATE their vacation because their fork was missing at dinner, or a bug crawled over their foot. HAVE A DRINK, (or several), Look at the perfect turquoise water, listen to the wind in the palm fronds, (my wife's new favorite thing), greet every Dominican with a smile and a "Hola", (and tip a buck or two for service), and most importantly --- HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME!!! OH.. and the 100% accurate weather forecast is: "Hot" :)

Last edited:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Changes in latitude, changes in attitude. I'm gonna' ditto Rice&Beans. Correct, can't predict the weather, let alone any big storms, (hurricanes). That's really not the issue here though. To thoroughly enjoy your HIGHLY anticipated vacation in the D.R. you're going to require an attitude adjustment. You need to take a deep breath... then another one. You're going to have to TRY to avoid the strong urge to plan for, expect, or in any way anticipate "the perfect vacation". ONLY when you're ready to accept the off-beat, always a surprise, "Slightly Askew"?, Kafkaesque (look it up), nature of this tropical paradise... only THEN will you fully enjoy yourself. In other words... keep your mind open, leave your expectations at home, and enjoy it as it comes! If you go with an agenda of expectations, you're just going to be one of those poor pathetic souls who HATE their vacation because their fork was missing at dinner, or a bug crawled over their foot. HAVE A DRINK, (or several), Look at the perfect turquoise water, listen to the wind in the palm fronds, (my wife's new favorite thing), greet every Dominican with a smile and a "Hola", (and tip a buck or two for service), and most importantly --- HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME!!! OH.. and the 100% accurate weather forecast is: "Hot" :)

How true...........

DottyB

Jan 15, 2011
Coincidentally, my family and I were in Punta Cana for vacation the same time last year. I remember the dates because I said I would mark it on my calendar - August 23, 2010, the day my daughter said, not once but twice, "It's really hot". You have to understand, my daughter LOVES hot, steamy weather, I think it was the first time I ever heard her say she was hot.

I concur, weather forecast in August "Hot" and wonderful!!! Enjoy!

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Adding to numerous posts already containing great advice. The weather is always hit or miss when you get around coastal properties. I have yet to stay in the DR during the so-called "dry season." However, in the El Cortecitio area I have seen approx 15 (+/-) days of rain during the months of June, August, October, and the beginning of November. Weather will always be unpredictable (other than being hot and humid) and likely to change without much notice. It the same here on the Gulf Coast here in Florida. Daily weather predictions are about 30% accurate (at best)

CptGlenn hit the nail on the head with the attitude adjustment and drinks. When things seem to be heading in an unexpected direction then take a deep breath, have a few drinks, and make the best of it. You'll realize that it really isn't as bad as you had originally thought....and you are on vacation...so try to enjoy it as much as possible. Don