Work Visa Question

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
Hello everyone. I have a general question about working in language schools in the DR. I know that in many Latin American countries teachers will just work on a tourist visa and border hop. Is it the same with the Dominican Republic when trying to teach through a language school or through a public language program offered by a university? I have applied to a few positions that I have seen posted and am wondering what the chances are that I would be working on a tourist visa vs a work visa. Thanks for any information!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If The School Where You Want To Work Doesn't Require One,

Don't worry about it. I worked for the Government for 10 years,no visa.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
Don't worry about it. I worked for the Government for 10 years,no visa.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Seriously? How was that possible? I would like to stay for at least a year taking language classes also. Do you know if language schools would help me get a student visa? Should I keep filing for an extension? Border hop maybe? This will be new to me so I'm trying to see what I should expect.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just pay the fine,"MULTA" at immigration when you leave.
Less than $100 US,but the "rates" have been published MANY time here on DR1.
It was possible,because this is the Dominican Republic!
You can do "pretty much" whatever you want here.
That's why we are all here!
Come and enjoy it too.
Forget about a visa,as I said,unless the school requires you to have on,which I doubt.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
One more question. I know that you have to show your return ticket when coming into the DR. Tourist visas are valid for 90 days correct? Would I have a problem at the airport if my return flight is scheduled more than 60 days after my arrival? I plan on just paying the fine when I leave but does it pose a problem before hand when first arriving?

Jan 17, 2009
The only place where they can and many times do ask for a return ticket is when you do the check in your country. It just happened to a family member coming from Miami.

Here, they never ever bother asking for a return ticket. If you make it through check-in, you're good!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have a question to ask/add. I was told I can register my Canadian Corporation in the DR if I dont want to form an S.A., get a tax number and Im good to go... Do I still need "residency" to work legally if Im registering my Corp?

Jan 17, 2009
Probably not, but there are other benefits to being a residency than coming and going without issues. One I can think of and my reason for finally having applied for it, is having the legal right to drive here after your 60-day stay expires.

You should post your question in the legal forum.