Bringing in a bicycle. Any problems?

monique12

Jan 9, 2010
Would I have any problems bringing a bicycle when I visit Puerto Plata next month? It would be boxed, new. Last time I was bringing in boxes of used clothing for an orphanage and was stopped, boxes opened. My Spanish is basically non-existant, and I was really nervous, not knowing if I would have to pay any duties/taxes. Or was I expected to slip the guy a few bucks?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

You need to check with your airline to see if there are any restrictions on shipping a cardboard box into the DR. Many airlines flying into this country will not allow it. Also if you are allowed to check in this box with the bicycle you probably want to declare it. The duty would not be very much.

S

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Would I have any problems bringing a bicycle when I visit Puerto Plata next month? It would be boxed, new. Last time I was bringing in boxes of used clothing for an orphanage and was stopped, boxes opened. My Spanish is basically non-existant, and I was really nervous, not knowing if I would have to pay any duties/taxes. Or was I expected to slip the guy a few bucks?

You won't be able to slip the guy a few bucks, not at customs. Do check your airline as there are box embargoes often.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010

Don't worry about customs because bicycles are charged NO tax, they are extent from customs taxation. No matter what type, cost, etc I and my friend have brought in many very expensive racing bikes and never a hassle, never a word about tax. My friend just came back with a $9000 Madone in a bike carrier, zero tax zero hassle. Que chulo! Your only worry is the airlines as some of them have an "embargo" on extra luggage during the summer months so check on that. But don't worry about aduana.

Enjoy!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Don't worry about customs because bicycles are charged NO tax, they are extent from customs taxation. No matter what type, cost, etc I and my friend have brought in many very expensive racing bikes and never a hassle, never a word about tax. My friend just came back with a $9000 Madone in a bike carrier, zero tax zero hassle. Que chulo! Your only worry is the airlines as some of them have an "embargo" on extra luggage during the summer months so check on that. But don't worry about aduana.

Enjoy!

Good info right there, I was about to tell you to open up the box and make it look like the bike is used, but with this info (assuming is accurate) your life just became easier. Just make sure to know your rights, and also have a couple of 10 US in your pocket in case you need a quick bailout.

monique12

Jan 9, 2010
Slight confusion. RV429 says I can't slip anything to the customs guy yet EtremeR says have a few $10s handy.
Charter flights from Toronto only charge $30 for a bike (boxed).
But I do thank everyone for their advice!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
INHO PP is a very dangerous city to ride a bike. Streets are narrow and intersections are blocked by buildings so you cannot see cars coming until you are nearly in the intersection. Drivers in the DR go fast and have no regard for others. Streets and sidewalks are not smooth and are full of holes Only safe place to ride is at the malecon which is along the beach and has a bike lane. If you decide to ride here make sure to bring your helmet as you may need it. Good luck!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Slight confusion. RV429 says I can't slip anything to the customs guy yet EtremeR says have a few $10s handy.
Charter flights from Toronto only charge $30 for a bike (boxed).
But I do thank everyone for their advice!

OK... middle ground..... carry $5's....

General advice.... in any bureaucratic situation here in RD.... have something in each pocket and reach for the right pocket at the right time. (Old Chinese Proverb)