Oh boy!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
He could have earned millions with a career in Baseball, but stupidly blew it :(

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
He could have earned millions with a career in Baseball, but stupidly blew it :(

It doesn't sound like he was going to make much money with Baseball. The article mentions he USED to be a prospect until Tampa Bay found his visa was fake - whatever that means. There are thousands of cases like this. I personally know a few guys who have been drafted for a few thousand USD, the family / town all think the guys is going to be rich so there's all this pressure on the guy, most of them don't make it beyond training camps or AA class and end up being washed up before they even had a crack at the majors. Now what's a guy like that going to do next with no education and the only thing they know (Baseball) is not in the cards anymore...so they're easily dragged into that world of easy money.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It doesn't sound like he was going to make much money with Baseball. The article mentions he USED to be a prospect until Tampa Bay found his visa was fake - whatever that means. There are thousands of cases like this. I personally know a few guys who have been drafted for a few thousand USD, the family / town all think the guys is going to be rich so there's all this pressure on the guy, most of them don't make it beyond training camps or AA class and end up being washed up before they even had a crack at the majors. Now what's a guy like that going to do next with no education and the only thing they know (Baseball) is not in the cards anymore...so they're easily dragged into that world of easy money.
I assume "fake visa" means his birthdate was bogus. He was 20-21 and most likely his "visa" said 17 or 18. HUGE difference for predicting athletic potential.

But you're correct. I was an athlete (leather helmet days.) And a bunch of my peers had no real edumacation or skills. many succumbed to the lure of easy money and fame.

It's hard going straight after you've been there...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

The movie "SUGAR" does a great job telling the story of one of the many who don't make it to The Show....highly recommended!!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Not Eligible because his visa was invalid!!!!

WTF....what about the $138K in Cocaine in his sneakers....was he to play if his visa was valid??? come on:angry:

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Sounds very fishy to me. Are you going to risk a multi million dollar deal for 138K. I think not. This was a planned effort to get in to the US illegally and probably had zero to do with any sport except the sneaker drug run race. Many poor Dominicans have made it into the big leagues, including Pedro Martinez, who , when he was a poor young kid, painted my house to make $. He did his thing honestly.