What's new in Santo Domingo?

Johnny Bahama

Jun 6, 2011
I haven't been in the D.R. for about 3 to 4 years and will be bringing a friend down for his first visit July 18th to July 25th. I will be there on business and pleasure and would like to show him a few cool spots to hang. We are both very flexible, meaning we can hang in a posh ultra lounge and can also feel at home at a corner colmado slamming dominoes with locals.

We get in Monday night and would like to hit the streets on Monday. Really looking for a hit spot (or destination) for each night of the week... live music would be a plus. Also will be in Punta Cana on 21st and 22nd.

Cheers!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Monday - Segafredo (Happy hour until midnight)
Tuesday - La Espiral (ladies night)
Wednesday - Encuentro Artesanal (ladies night)
Thursday - Onno's / Shot's Bar (ladies nights)
Friday -Miloca / Onno's (5 beers / 300 pesos)
Saturday - Hard Rock (ladies night) OR this event: The tPago Experience Summer Party | Facebook
Sunday - Colmado night / drink in a park ... :) There is also live music at El Rincocito de Don Guillermo.

Maybe one of these places matches your ideas.

I can't say i know about a lot of live music locations, sorry :)

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
since you were here 3/4 years ago, the following has happened---the pot holes have gotten bigger, the piles of garbage higher, traffic is worse and amet is totally useless, lights come and go at will, thieves are multiplying daily, govt officials still stealing, peoples houses are floating away, dengue is returning with the rain we have had, cholera is still a problem, prices are sky rocketing and i could go on and on. save your money and go somewhere else.

Well, aren't you just the best Welcome Wagon Lady of all time???!!! :ermm::ermm:

Geesh.

AE

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
A somewhat different list - Not necessary with "new" places

Monday - Jetset or Platinum, both discos on Avda. Independencia for live music and dancing
Tuesday -
El secreto musical, Vila Consuela, Los reyes esq. Sanchez Valverde o Pimentel. For the ultimate Son experience (not to be missed), although not really new.
Wednesday -
Tele-oferta (Terraza Ol?mpico), prolongaci?n Maximo Gomez esq. 27 de febrero. Dancing in Colmadon.
Thursday - Stroll along Zona colonial starting at Parque Duarte, with a visit to Casa del Teatro
Friday - Rumbaton or Para?so Musical, dancing in Villa Mella (at left hand side before roundabout; with a Shell gasstation at other side of street)
Saturday - One of the bars on Avda Lincoln between 27 and Kennedy. Driving along Lincoln in the weekend is an event on its own.
Sunday - Grupo Bonye in El Rinconcito de Guillermo, Ruina San Francisco, Zona Colonial, from 5 till 10pm (if it doesn't rain).

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
This is a question of "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it".

This person is obviously excited to be coming, and is even bringing his friend. He has already purchased his tickets and he's ready to go. His question is genuine and sincere. Why would you chose to hurt him?

Even if you included your negatives while at the same time answering his question, there would not have been an issue, but instead you only give a negative view.

I hardly think my reply sugarcoated anything. It's just a list and like I said, he might not even like these locations.

I know that I'm one of a minority of people on this site doesn't complain about living here. I CHOOSE to move here and unlike many people on here, I'm 27 and not anywhere close to retirement age. I live an entirely different lifestyle then most people here.
I'm here to have FUN. I work and play everyday. I party, I drink, I hangout, I make friends, I travel.

Are you Dominican? If so, I'm sorry you have such a negative view of your homeland.
Are you foreign? If so, I can only assume you are "stuck" here because of money, women or kids. Too bad for you.

Just because you (probably) live a ****ty life here in some barrio doesn't mean EVERYONE ELSE is like you. This country, THIS CITY is hugely diverse and people live their lives as they see fit.

Johnny Bahama

Jun 6, 2011
EverythingJeff & Bahoruco thank you so much for your suggestions I appreciate it and will give your lists a go!

To ricky11...Wow! Life is short sir I suggest you leave that beautiful country and find someplace more suitable to your liking and stop your whining!

Nevertheless looking at the world through your eyes you will only see the faults in this wonderful life you have been granted through the wonders of reproduction. I bet you could live in 100 other places and not notice the beauty around you. Life is what you make of it, if you have health and freedom what is all the negativity about.

Johnny Bahama

Jun 6, 2011
Global economic meltdown! 5 year old school fee 10K USD annually!
I guess I could come there anytime I wanted but I have to keep my priorities straight.

I may actually move there to work as I have a potential job offering with excellent pay by N.A. standards.

I know the country well and visited over 10 times and always imagined it would be a great place to live
and work providing the pay was acceptable. Now looks like I may get that chance.

Cheers!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
thanks for the lists.... I am going in a few weeks and i am looking for something new aswell

Monday - Jetset or Platinum, both discos on Avda. Independencia for live music and dancing
Tuesday -
El secreto musical, Vila Consuela, Los reyes esq. Sanchez Valverde o Pimentel. For the ultimate Son experience (not to be missed), although not really new.
Wednesday -
Tele-oferta (Terraza Ol?mpico), prolongaci?n Maximo Gomez esq. 27 de febrero. Dancing in Colmadon.
Thursday - Stroll along Zona colonial starting at Parque Duarte, with a visit to Casa del Teatro
Friday - Rumbaton or Para?so Musical, dancing in Villa Mella (at left hand side before roundabout; with a Shell gasstation at other side of street)
Saturday - One of the bars on Avda Lincoln between 27 and Kennedy. Driving along Lincoln in the weekend is an event on its own.
Sunday - Grupo Bonye in El Rinconcito de Guillermo, Ruina San Francisco, Zona Colonial, from 5 till 10pm (if it doesn't rain).

Monday - Segafredo (Happy hour until midnight)
Tuesday - La Espiral (ladies night)
Wednesday - Encuentro Artesanal (ladies night)
Thursday - Onno's / Shot's Bar (ladies nights)
Friday -Miloca / Onno's (5 beers / 300 pesos)
Saturday - Hard Rock (ladies night) OR this event: The tPago Experience Summer Party | Facebook
Sunday - Colmado night / drink in a park ... :) There is also live music at El Rincocito de Don Guillermo.

Maybe one of these places matches your ideas.

I can't say i know about a lot of live music locations, sorry :)

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
to aggravate 27 year old's who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth

Where did this spoon come from? I must've choked on it as a baby.

I was lucky enough to come to this country with the help of my job and that set me up for success.

I manage my money, my priorities, and my time to make sure I get to do the things I want to do.

I certainly don't live the high life here, but I live well, and I live a HAPPY life.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
One more El Sarten - Friday Saturdy and Sunday. A bit of an older crowd, sorry Jeff, but great music and dancing in the Colonial Zone.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
you suggest i leave this beautiful country but i would like to know why it has taken you 4 years to come back?
Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaa
Sorry, boo, he got you with that one.
Just like Dominicans who have 8 flags in their car, 16 DR shirts, 24 Dominican hats and other assorted paraphernalia and haven't stepped foot in their own country in 10+ years......

SHALENA

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Where did this spoon come from? I must've choked on it as a baby.

I was lucky enough to come to this country with the help of my job and that set me up for success.

I manage my money, my priorities, and my time to make sure I get to do the things I want to do.

I certainly don't live the high life here, but I live well, and I live a HAPPY life.

Dont downplay the free housing with the gay boyfriend and his ugly BUT wealthy sister. Hmm, the sugar sweet coating is something everyone downplays. No one likes Corn Flakes but they all love Frosted Flakes.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Could be money, school, job...etc.

That's an excuse for maybe a year.....but 4????? I don't think so.
1) MONEY - DR is cheap, in a year even Janitors and Bodega workers have save up enough to go
2) SCHOOL - Ummmm, if its University, there are several week-2 week long breaks, and don't forget summer break
3) JOB - I have yet to see a job where you don't get some sort of vacation time. It might not be 3-4 weeks but its something

Good try though
:)

SHALENA

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Dont downplay the free housing with the gay boyfriend and his ugly BUT wealthy sister. Hmm, the sugar sweet coating is something everyone downplays. No one likes Corn Flakes but they all love Frosted Flakes.

I live with a roommate, she posts on here sometimes. My boyfriend certainly doesn't pay for me. I pay rent every month like everyone else (I certainly can't afford to buy here).

Where did I say his sister was ugly?

Johnny Bahama

Jun 6, 2011
1) MONEY - DR is cheap, in a year even Janitors and Bodega workers have save up enough to go
2) SCHOOL - Ummmm, if its University, there are several week-2 week long breaks, and don't forget summer break
3) JOB - I have yet to see a job where you don't get some sort of vacation time. It might not be 3-4 weeks but its something

Good try though

SHALENA

You must be a female!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Good try though

SHALENA

Or more desirable locations. The majority of people I work with have been to the DR, and liked it, but the next year they might go to Aruba, Cuba, US Virgin Islands, Mexico, Panama, Honduras, Thailand, Australia, Jamaica, Hawaii.......etc.