Crime Solving in DR: Can You Get Away with Murder??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I just read the thread update abiout the burglary in La Mulata and the outcome: case unsolved.

Has there been any arrests by police for the 3 recent publicized unsolved murders in Sosua???? I'm thinking about the killing in Playa Chiquita, the transvestite prostitute, and the Canadian....I am suspect that the police in the DR have a very poor track record in solving major crimes like these........

It's definitely not like the show on cable TV, "48 Hours," where usually the US cops solve a case and arrest murder suspect within the first 48 hours since the crime occurred.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
... It's definitely not like the show on cable TV, "48 Hours," where usually the US cops solve a case and arrest murder suspect within the first 48 hours since the crime occurred.

It's not usually like that in the US either.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I just read the thread update abiout the burglary in La Mulata and the outcome: case unsolved.

Has there been any arrests by police for the 3 recent publicized unsolved murders in Sosua???? I'm thinking about the killing in Playa Chiquita, the transvestite prostitute, and the Canadian....I am suspect that the police in the DR have a very poor track record in solving major crimes like these........

It's definitely not like the show on cable TV, "48 Hours," where usually the US cops solve a case and arrest murder suspect within the first 48 hours since the crime occurred.

Everyone has been solved and justice done..... NOT. I don't think that I know of ANY crime against a Gringo that has ever been solved. The list of forced entry, robbery, assalt and murder has become very long over my years here but I don't remember seeing any closure on a single one. Not one. (Other then a Canadian that Kidnapped himself while screwing others and indoing so hurt many others. Did HE ever pay up?)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Identified

Israeli security expert kills one of two alleged attackers

Santo Domingo
The man who when walking his dog this morning and was the victim of an attempted assault to which he responded by shooting dead one of the alleged robbers has been identified as Gabriel Lipovetsky, an Israeli citizen in the country who is devoted precisely to provide security to private companies.

Lipovetsky received a bullet scratch on his arm when the alleged mugger shot him. The young man killed was Pablo Dionisio Valdez, 22, who would have tried to escape with his accomplice in a motorcycle, after receiving two shots fired by Lipovetsky, fainted and fell from the bike.

The Israeli is considered in the country as a security expert to be consulted, even by programs such as the journalist Nuria Piera, who requested his opinion on the installing of surveillance cameras to monitor crime in the city of Santo Domingo. At the time, he described it as a makeshift system, because there was no planning or field research and said it was installed "with a precarious method without the conditions for effective coverage."

DEATH
The alleged attempted robbery against Lipovetsky occurred in the central and busy street intersection of Carmen Mendoza Cornielle street and Avenida 27 de Febrero.

The incident occurred at past seven o'clock. Valdez had tried to mug Lipovetsky with another young man who was waiting on a motorcycle, who, upon the shooting, fled. After being injured, the alleged robber tried to flee but fainted and died later.

The body of Pablo Dionisio Valdez was raised shortly after by police and taken to Forensic Pathology. Lipovetsky was slightly injured when he was shot by one the robbers,

By midmorning today, the citizens polled said to ignore about the event and was evident the silence of employees of commercial establishments located nearby. However, shortly after the occurrence of the crime, residents of the area had complained about the amount of assaults that occur and the absence of police in the area.

The clue is only a bloodstain on the sidewalk of a grocery store where employees say they have not seen anything and not know what happened because "they were sleeping when the shooting occurred."

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, to answer your question yes, one can get away with murder, all that is needed is money. and that does not work in some cases. but yes, perfectly possible.
but don't think badly about dominican police, they are set to find perpetrators. sometimes they kill them and say "yeah, he did it but he dead and cannot confess" :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
LOL all of the potential witnesses were "asleep".............................
At 7 o'clock in the morning?
I was definitely living in the wrong area, those Dominicans in my neighborhood were up at the crack of dawn

SHALENA

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Identified

Israeli security expert kills one of two alleged attackers

Santo Domingo
The man who when walking his dog this morning and was the victim of an attempted assault to which he responded by shooting dead one of the alleged robbers has been identified as Gabriel Lipovetsky, an Israeli citizen in the country who is devoted precisely to provide security to private companies.

Lipovetsky received a bullet scratch on his arm when the alleged mugger shot him. The young man killed was Pablo Dionisio Valdez, 22, who would have tried to escape with his accomplice in a motorcycle, after receiving two shots fired by Lipovetsky, fainted and fell from the bike.

The Israeli is considered in the country as a security expert to be consulted, even by programs such as the journalist Nuria Piera, who requested his opinion on the installing of surveillance cameras to monitor crime in the city of Santo Domingo. At the time, he described it as a makeshift system, because there was no planning or field research and said it was installed "with a precarious method without the conditions for effective coverage."

DEATH
The alleged attempted robbery against Lipovetsky occurred in the central and busy street intersection of Carmen Mendoza Cornielle street and Avenida 27 de Febrero.

The incident occurred at past seven o'clock. Valdez had tried to mug Lipovetsky with another young man who was waiting on a motorcycle, who, upon the shooting, fled. After being injured, the alleged robber tried to flee but fainted and died later.

The body of Pablo Dionisio Valdez was raised shortly after by police and taken to Forensic Pathology. Lipovetsky was slightly injured when he was shot by one the robbers,

By midmorning today, the citizens polled said to ignore about the event and was evident the silence of employees of commercial establishments located nearby. However, shortly after the occurrence of the crime, residents of the area had complained about the amount of assaults that occur and the absence of police in the area.

The clue is only a bloodstain on the sidewalk of a grocery store where employees say they have not seen anything and not know what happened because "they were sleeping when the shooting occurred."

Thanks for the story, what was the date when that occurred? Just recently????

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Even if caught there is justice of the system, and 'Dominican Justice'.
An ex pat was shot some 4 or so years ago while entering her home to find a burglar at work, he was charged with attempted murder, but was hanging out in the same street as where the lady he shot lived some 10 -12 months later.
10-12 months for attempted murder seems somewhat insulting if this is your mother who has a bullet in her neck! Hence the reason for more murder, retaliation on the lack of justice. Once this kind of thing begins in Dominican Families it spirals and just flies under the radar.
If you want protection and justice then this is not the place to be, it can feel quite intimidating when you read some of the things some innocent people have gone through. I stopped watching the news and reading the papers a while ago, just spoils the day realizing the reality of our insignificance.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you do not expect justice in the DR you will not be disappointed at reading about the unsolved crimes. At least in the US one can defend their home without having to prove themselves innocent. Circumstance here is complicated with laws based on Napoleonic code. I was shocked when my wife stopped me from helping a motoconco who ran into my car and was lying in the street. This happened in Bonao and an ugly crowd gathered quickly. Wife tossed a few pesos at motoconcho driver and we got out of there asap. The DR can be a wonderful beautiful place but there is also an ugly side. At least we can leave if we do not like it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The "Israeli security expert" did not do a good a job. He let one get clean away and killed the other so he cannot be questioned (tortured) to disclose the accomplices identity. Sadly, dead men tell no tales. You always want one alive to "interrogate". Do they waterboard in the DR? Just wondering as I know the police routinely torture for information.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
.....the police are more worried about street vendors and girls in bars. We don't want the tourists harrassed....

Oct 11, 2010
There Is A Saying Here In The Dominican Republic

The only thing easier than murdering someone in the DR is getting away with it.

A crime solved in 48 hours after the act is really not the norm in the U.S., at least not in New York City, where I am from.

However, here in the Dominican Republic, I wouldn't depend on the police for solving too many crimes. The police aren't very successful at solving major crimes.

As far as the investigation goes, the application of forensic science to the collection and evaluation of evidence here in the DR is almost non existent. Even if the crime is a high profile case in Santo Domingo or Santiago they are still light years behind in conducting an effective and productive investigation, at least by NYPD standards.

The local police, besides not having the tools and sufficient training to conduct a thorough investigation, don't have the impetus to conduct one either.

I have seen quite a few crime scenes throughout the Dominican Republic, and unfortunatley, things aren't improving.

As far as the three recently publicized murders, I believe they are still unsolved. However, if you want a real perspective on unsolved murders, you need to inspect the homicide files from Santiago or Santo Domingo.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
@ zoomzx11: Waterboard? Years ago in the back of the Puerto Plata police station they had a doorway they cuffed suspects to & the ground was littered with broken boards/sticks. It was their "interrogation area".

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Even if caught there is justice of the system, and 'Dominican Justice'.
An ex pat was shot some 4 or so years ago while entering her home to find a burglar at work, he was charged with attempted murder, but was hanging out in the same street as where the lady he shot lived some 10 -12 months later.

I think that was me. The guys were caught and sentenced to preventiva. One was a sanky and his canadian girlfriend paid 1000 US$ to get them out. They then beat an elderly candadian man to death with baseball bats to rob him. The one who told his brother to shoot me was killed by the police. The brother who shot me was jailed for 30 years for killing the canadian man, got out a year later as sister paid 14,000 RD$ and then arrested again for another murder. He is once again in jail but now he has so many 'fichas' if he ever gets out he will be killed as soon as he leaves, so it appears he will stay there.

Dominican justice.

Matilda

Status
Not open for further replies.