Et tu ex-pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Yesterday, at Las Americas Airport in Santo Domingo, the line to pay for parking was a total mess (as always).

A caucasian couple in a white Chevrolet Flex-fuel Suburban was trying to get in line, and as is always the case, everyone was doing everything to keep that from happening. Because I was in my "I'm going to be nice even if it kills me" mood, I stopped and motioned them into line. They didn't even give that little "thank you" wave.

Two minutes later, when another car tried to do the same thing, the guy in the suburban wouldn't budge an inch. I let the other car in line (because I WAS going to be nice, damn it, even if it freaking killed me), and every Dominican in the car gave me a smile and a "thank you" wave.

Now I understand why some Dominicans sometimes don't always have high opinions of us ex-pats.

PS:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Wow!",You Are Really "GOOD"!

You can tell a persons Nationality,just by looking at them!
How do you know that the people who "Smiled and Waved" were Dominicans?
How do you know that the "Caucasians" were "Foreigners?
"COLOR" does NOT indicate a person's nationality,EXCEPT to "THOSE" who choose to "STEREOTYPE" others because of their "RACE"!
You need to stop jumping to conclusions,based on a persons "Color"!
You can get a job with the DR Government "Spotting Haitians"!
I would say that 99% more Dominicans "Cut In Line",or "Won't Let Anyone IN" than "Ex-Pats"!
How many "Foreigners" block traffic to have a conversation with a car in the other lane,as if they were in their living room? Same for the supermarket!
If you want to compare"Manners" of Dominicans to Foreigners,you are in for a loosing battle!
Keep "Being Nice"! I will keep BLASTING my "HORN".I learned THAT from Dominicans!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
"COLOR" does NOT indicate a person's nationality,EXCEPT to "THOSE" who choose to "STEREOTYPE" others because of their "RACE"!
I would say that 99% more Dominicans "Cut In Line",or "Won't Let Anyone IN" than "Ex-Pats"!
How many "Foreigners" block traffic to have a conversation with a car in the other lane,as if they were in their living room? Same for the supermarket!
If you want to compare"Manners" of Dominicans to Foreigners,you are in for a loosing battle!
Keep "Being Nice"! I will keep BLASTING my "HORN".I learned THAT from Dominicans!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The Dominican's manners which you describe sounds like BENNYs visiting the Jersey shore.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Oh yeah, now I remember why I always tell myself to stop posting on DR1. Thanks for reminding me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,Mister Bill!"

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
If you want to post "Stupid Observations" you get what you deserve!

WE", will sorely miss your intellect!........."N-O-T"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there is a "CLAN" meeting tonight,C U There?

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are certainly many poor drivers here in the DR, especially in the evening but that being said I generally don't have a problem with the locals letting me into traffic. I do live in the most gentile part of the country, Santiago, but somehow haven't had issues in other places that others have. :)

While Dominicans have their quirks I would say they generally are more forgiving for driving gaffes as opposed to the States in many big cities anymore. I'm sure CC will come back and say how great he drivers are out in the sticks somewhere 20 years ago as if it were relevant. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IDIOTS

The two of you are equally judgemental......

One is not so pure and the other is blowing out his colon..

Surely, you have other things to mention here..... of substance???

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I enjoyed the posts, I know CCCCCC from way back so I always have a salt shaker on hand when i read his posts. Puryear is a good poster and that report of his is quite typical, and of course it will elicit some quirky remarks...you never know...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chip,If NOTHING Else,You As Predictable as "Big Ben"!

Now every Dominican you have ever known,or seen, is a courteous driver.
I'm from BOSTON,so I know "from" bad drivers!

cc...........(I'm Being "Humble"!!!!!)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jd could shake hands with miesposo, he also is a master of fitting in the smallest spaces. i don't have enough experience yet to judge distances and dimentions of the car so i rely on my divine beauty when it comes to joining the traffic. usually it works. if not the beauty then bocina :)

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008

Touchy, touchy. Get over yourself.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
@ Chip

Agreed that Dominicans are more forgiving drivers than in the states. There was a time I'd get so upset after someone almost ran me off the road or cut me off that I'd speed up and do it back to them. Then it dawned on me....they didn't even realize what I was doing to them was inappropriate or offensive, lol. Whatcha gonna do right?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No blood, no foul.

Puryear: I understood your OP, so I am cool. I am pretty sure that ol' CCCC did to and is just pulling your chain. Let's see where this goes, if it goes anywhere...

You gotta know that Chip is a "glass half-full" kinda guy.

Let's just be cool...

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yes but do you know what BENNY stands for....lol:bandit:
These are the undesirables who invade us from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York. The men are recognized by their gold chains and sandals with socks. The women by their big hair, bullet-proof makeup and platform flipflops. In fact, very similar to many of the Gringos of Punta Cana.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
"Which" Jersey shore??? North or South? :)

As for considerate drivers, I've never seen anything like it here is in Southwest Pennsylvania. People will let another driver in, to the point that it's dangerous - causing situations that could easily result in disaster.... EXCEPT in a parking lot. It's odd that the same joker who would hold up traffic on a three lane road in order to let you make a left hand turn, would not yield one inch if you were in a parking lot. Trying to back out of a space in any local parking lot is taking your life in your hands. I swear they would crash right into you. On the east side of the state, someone backing out of a parking spot routinely is given the right of way; but on the road you have to drive like you're in an Abrams tank. Every locale has its own "rules of the road"... best to "do as the Romans do".

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
No blood, no foul.

Puryear: I understood your OP, so I am cool. I am pretty sure that ol' CCCC did to and is just pulling your chain. Let's see where this goes, if it goes anywhere...

You gotta know that Chip is a "glass half-full" kinda guy.

Let's just be cool...

HB

Does that mean that CCCCC is the "glass half empty" type? This would explain lots of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.