Coconut Flour?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone seen coconut flour in Santo Domingo?

Any health food markets, stores that anyone recommends for good natural, organic products. Also natural yogurt.

I am specifically looking for gluten, wheat free products. Any recommended suppliers to order in such things at reasonable pricing?

thx.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I believe you should be looking for coconut milk powder? Not sure if it is also marketed as 'flour' but you might have more success by calling it a powder.

Charliesmission

Jul 8, 2011
www.c-c-c.ws
Can't help about the flour, but I have been looking for Virgin Coconut Oil for six months. I pay a real high premium to have it shipped from the States. For those that don't know, this may be one of the healthiest oils we can consume. It is the best for cooking. I also use it in my smoothies.
I'm also looking for natural peanut butter (when you see the oil on the top), which I know is produced in the DR, but I can't find it in Sosua.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a new place selling gluten-free products in Mirador Sur, opposite the Cadena supermarket.

I have an idea the Mercado Ecol?gico in the same area has closed down - does anyone have any concrete info?

Org?nica in Piantini is still open though. Plaza Catalu?a, Avenida Gustavo Mej?a Ricart.

Ananda on Casimiro de Moya in Gazcue

Possibly Ojas in Zona Universitaria (Calle Jonas Salk)

That natural peanut butter is great - some health food shops sell it although it's been a while since I've seen any. I think it's made by Productos Granix, which has a shop near Bonao on the Duarte highway.

Jul 4, 2010
Can't help about the flour, but I have been looking for Virgin Coconut Oil for six months. I pay a real high premium to have it shipped from the States. For those that don't know, this may be one of the healthiest oils we can consume. It is the best for cooking. I also use it in my smoothies....

I'm sold on the virtues and health benefits of virgin coconut oil. There has been recent scientific trails that suggest it can even cure Alzheimer's. I also would like to know of a local source.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm sold on the virtues and health benefits of virgin coconut oil. There has been recent scientific trails that suggest it can even cure Alzheimer's. I also would like to know of a local source.

I thought coconut oil was one of the worst for trans fats, along with palm kernel oil???? Doesn't it clog the arteries???? Enlighten me please!

AE

Jul 4, 2010
I thought coconut oil was one of the worst for trans fats, along with palm kernel oil???? Doesn't it clog the arteries???? Enlighten me please!

AE

I just did a cursory search in Google with "virgin coconut oil" + "Alzheimers" and got over 125.000 hits. There's ongoing research on the treatment of Alzheimers with virgin coconut oil, and the health benefits of consuming virgin coconut oil in general.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my cunado did bring coconut oil from vitamine shoppe (or whatever it is called) for few people. they sell variety of them at about 15 dollars for 16oz. plus shipping. plus EPS charges. expensive.

May 29, 2006
@AlterEgo:

Trans fats are primarily create when an oil is partially hydrogenated. Hydrogenation gives an oil a higher melting/smoke point and retards its spoilage.

Coconut and palm oils are high in saturated fats, which is to say there are fewer double bonds in its natural state.

When coconut oil is partially hydrogenated, some of the double bonds are converted into single bonds, which adds a hydrogen atom to the chain. It's processed in such a way that some of the remaining CIS double bonds "flip," turning then into TRANS double bonds. TRANS fats are currently thought to be the most hazardous to your health. TRANS bonds do not normally occur in unprocessed vegetable oils, but CRISCO will have them because it's been partially hydrogenated.

cistrans.jpg

When any oil is fully hydrogenated, there are no TRANS fats because there are no double bonds.

There is a lot of debate going on out there about the health of various oils. Animal fats such as butter and unprocessed lard are gaining ground as not being nearly as unhealthy as they were once thought. Shelf-stable lard is partially hydrogenated to make it last longer.

Keep in mind that there is some "science" out there that may be funded by very large corporations. When coconut oil suddenly became "unhealthy," it crushed the world copra market. Movie theaters switched from using coconut oil to corn oil to pop their popcorn. Meanwhile there has been very little research on the health effects of coconut oil in countries where it is a primary cooking oil. Mustard oil was also given a bad rap in India(causing it to be banned for cooking), where Monsanto has something of an interest that their GM oils are used instead.

Coconut oil is almost 50% Lauric Acid, which is thought to have anti-microbial properties. Lauric acid is a saturated fatty acid, so there can be no trans-fats. Coconut oil contains about 7% unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which can be converted to trans fats through processing.

Last edited:

Charliesmission

Jul 8, 2011
www.c-c-c.ws
Thanks, Chirimoya;
Now all I have to do is find the locations of your suggestions. I hope some are near Sosua, but I'll try to locate the places via the Internet, unless you know of an easier way. I've been in Sosua for six months, on a mountain bike, so my geographical knowledge is limited.
I do see that people are still under the misperception promoted by the corn oil producers that their "junk" is the stuff to use. Virgin coconut oil is recognized by health advocates (who do not have a financial interest -- always "follow the money" when you see advice) to be one of the very best oils to ingest.
What a great opportunity for a thriving industry here in the DR. Coconut sugar is also healthy (and I have zero vested interests).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Apart from Granix, which is south of Bonao, all my suggestions were in Santo Domingo where the OP is located. A bit of a trek from Sosua on a mountain bike, sorry. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

AE
Didn't McDonalds used to use coconut oil, and was browbeated into using something else?

Their fries used to gauge somewhere between epic and cosmic...

(BTW, I made fries the other night and used an old McDonalds secret: I dissolved a little) sugar into water and then soaked the potatoes in the solution before frying. Worked...:D Yummy...

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I came from an area where Coconut oil is cure for anything. Coconut oil is a part of our life. Then all of a sudden these so called health experts taught us Coconut oil is bad for health. And we had shifted to marketed sunflower oil or safflower oil but adulterated with Palm oil as there is no enough supply of sunflower or safflower oil. Net result is our parents who used only coconut oil are more healthier than any of us switched to so called healthier oils. i am really search all the shelves here in DR for the coconut oil but i never found anywhere even the expeller oil forget about virgin coconut oil

yuvayamini2

Feb 27, 2019
Hi,
I have no idea about the coconut flour. Can anyone explain about the coconut flour clearly and briefly? Is there any healthy are available.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Hi,
I have no idea about the coconut flour. Can anyone explain about the coconut flour clearly and briefly? Is there any healthy are available.

Many people are trying to move away from processed white flour and are switching to almond flour or coconut flour. There is a pretty big ketogenic movement going on in the US which promotes these ideas. Almond or coconut flour does not react the same as wheat flour when cooking/baking. Everything has a different taste and texture, in my experience. Coconut flour is more absorbant than almond flour making substitutions more difficult as it can be tricky to get the fluid amounts correct.

This is one that’s available in the US: https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-coconut-flour.html

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I came from an area where Coconut oil is cure for anything. Coconut oil is a part of our life. Then all of a sudden these so called health experts taught us Coconut oil is bad for health. And we had shifted to marketed sunflower oil or safflower oil but adulterated with Palm oil as there is no enough supply of sunflower or safflower oil. Net result is our parents who used only coconut oil are more healthier than any of us switched to so called healthier oils. i am really search all the shelves here in DR for the coconut oil but i never found anywhere even the expeller oil forget about virgin coconut oil

We use only CO ! Buy from Amazon!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We are able to 2.48L (84 fl oz) for around $16 from Costco it is a Kirkland product. Not sure if they sell that at Pricesmart but they should. What we buy from Costco comes from Vietnam and it is Organic Virgin. I actually use it for my skin and do not eat it. It is liquid around 75 degrees and solid when colder then that.

I don't put it on my face but it seems to work as a skin moisturizer. It also seems to keep the mosquitoes away and I like that it is all natural. I think you can mix it with other natural ingregdiants to make it a better mosquito repellent but I have never tried that.

I know some Dominican women use Coconut Oil on their her and they wish they could find 84 oz for $16 in the Dominican Republic.