I need lemons and will even let you borrow my webber smokey joe grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I live in a great place in Sosua and because it's a Resort Town we get many out of town guests and although we have two brick and motor grills everyone wants to borrow my " smokey joe "

I let everyone borrow it, but they should bring fresh lemons to a native like me.

I always pay a premium so keep that in mind!

PC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Lemons are expensive here except in the campo where everybody seems to have a tree. I suggest getting one at a local nursery. They can run around RD50 for the little ones to RD150 for a bush sized one.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Lemons are expensive here except in the campo where everybody seems to have a tree. I suggest getting one at a local nursery. They can run around RD50 for the little ones to RD150 for a bush sized one.

Chip, with all do respect they do not grow the california yellow lemon here

Thanks for the input.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, that was a example of cultural and linguistic overlap. Friend Chip, saw the word "lemons" that thought "limones" and posted accordingly.
He forgot that poster Mike I is a gringo, and not acclimated and probably not Spanish speaking.
Chip provided the logical answer for someone here: Get a lemon tree ( a lime tree to Americans and Europeans). HEHEH..it is kind of funny.

Anyway, "lemons" from California do not travel well and "limones" are absolutely just as good...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can't tell the difference in the taste of a limone and yellow lemon.

But I don't "get" the sour oranges so common here.

Oct 11, 2010
Anyway, "lemons" from California do not travel well and "limones" are absolutely just as good...

HB

Lemons travel fine, a few hours in a suitcase, and on the table. Limones (limes) and lemons, DIFFERENT, both good, very different tastes and uses.

Mike I feel your pain. I have seen several posts from you inquiring about lemons. Apparently you appreciate the difference, and the need for real LEMONS when called for in a recipe or even just to squeeze on seafood, etc. I know I certainly do.

Next trip back to U.S. I'll pick some up and bring 'em down here, should be soon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mike, i brought two lemons from poland for planting purposes. they turned out to be a modern seedles variety. ripped them apart, found one seed. planted. now this motherf***ing tree is about 3 inches high. first crop shall be yours if we get to live that long (you, me and the tree).
my next guests are coming in few months and i will have them bring lemons too. i am getting quite determined :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Wow, the response from this post is unbelievable.

I was thinking about the best way to solve this puzzle and I am going to offer the tourists that stay where i live some sort of discount on the Taxi fee or something !

Bottom line is I want lemons and I am going to get them one way or another !

Catcher dropped the ball....no Pie 4U

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I would love to bring you some lemons mike. But I don't know mike..It seems kind of risky to me..Maybe the Sosua police will throw you, me, and the lemons in jail:ermm:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have never had a lemon shipment that has been confiscated.

They only take meats that are not vacume sealed and no one goes to jail for bringing food into the DR.

The Sosua police only arrest locals eithier for prostitution or petty crimes against x pats

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I would love to bring you some lemons mike. But I don't know mike..It seems kind of risky to me..Maybe the Sosua police will throw you, me, and the lemons in jail:ermm:

Hahaha, Lemons trafficking to DR is a very big offense and could land you in jail for more than 30 years...lol

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hahaha, Lemons trafficking to DR is a very big offense and could land you in jail for more than 30 years...lol

We should refer this to the legal section so the DR favorite Fabio Guzman can explain the lemon law in the DR!

I am not talking about Yellow Cars !

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have never had a lemon shipment that has been confiscated.

They only take meats that are not vacume sealed and no one goes to jail for bringing food into the DR.

The Sosua police only arrest locals eithier for prostitution or petty crimes against x pats

My experience is the exact opposite. Any time I've tried to bring fruits or vegetables in through PUJ they have confiscated them. I regularly bring USDA Prime beef back (not vacuum packed) and they have never taken it. I don't think they realize how much that beef is worth.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~All this lemon lime talk is making me pucker:ermm: he he he...

Just reading about it makes the taste buds start over flowing...

Good luck in your quest...

Status
Not open for further replies.