broken foot; or, why I had no social life during my trip

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
First I would like to thank all of you who gave me great advice about my study abroad. Culturally, touristically, people wise, it was spectacular. PUCMM was lovely and I recommend a stint to anyone. However....

The third week in, I fractured my foot hiking in the Bosque de Cacao (San Francisco). I ended up going to HOMS and getting a cast and crutches for the final 3 weeks of my trip. And you KNOW there are hardly even ramps, nevermind elevators. Add anti-social host family. They didn't even talk to each other, eat together, anything. *........* anyway....

HOMS is pretty legit for foot fractures and the like, wouldn't you say?

I have the CD of my placa and files. I opened it today and the accompanying paper says "Radiografia del pie dentro de los limites normales."

But isn't it by definition, NOT normal??

Did they give me a dummy sheet for some legal reason? I can't seem to open the files as its some sort of medical software. I don't think HOMS charged for the record because the MD was not there. Do they charge if the MD gives the records from his consultorio? Its confusing....not a big deal cause my MD will do redo everything probably on Tuesday but I am curious.

*pokes you medical people with my muleta*

jabuti

I love that in the DR you can send your relative's neighbor to the hospital to get your medical records

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
HOMS is "pretty legit" for most things, yes. I personally think that it is a very good hospital (nursing could be better "wink,wink"). I don't know why they gave you a file that you couldn't open. When we record surgery or take pics in the OR we put it on a regular DVD but maybe they have a different system.
I'm sorry that your host family sucked. That is not usual for Dominicans, if they are anything, they are social. I hope that the rest of your trip was good.

SHALENA

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
The nurses there were so impossibly nice. I am going to miss the warmth of the people there the most.

Its funny looking back at my pics. My host family is so depressed looking. I have a feeling there was some family issues going on. Thanks for your help. Maybe my US doctor can open the images...

Happy not to to be paying for a taxi 4 times a day,

Jabuti

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Please let the organization know about the family so that somebody else doesn't have to endure them

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was truly sorry that we missed each other, and that I did not know about your foot. I could have helped a bit there..

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...

Next time, Jabuti..next time.

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
host families are hit or miss. they have different views, sometimes, of what an american would want. sometimes they think we're the anti-social ones, and not really family-oriented, so they keep out of our hair. but, maybe it was just a bad time for them!!!

sorry about the foot, glad i got to meet you before you took off!