Recipes ?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
First I add a disclaimer ! I realize by this new thread I leave myself wide open to the like of CCCCCCC. That said, here we go.
What type of cooking is prevalent in RD ? Cuban ? Spanish ? Portuguese, African etc. Does the RD have it's one special type of cooking such as might be found in Jamaica or the like ? What spices are commonly used and what food combinations are common in the RD............anyone care to share some recipes from the local fairs ?
Please stay somewhat on topic at least till I get a few bites ( recipes) IE. no sex on the beach or peein in buckets etc.
Ja Ja Ja

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically: Sal, oregano, parsley, rosemary, lime juice, sour oranges, tomato paste. These are the "complete" Dominican kitchen, as far as spices, herbs are concerned. The "typical" kitchen..that is.

HB

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Basically: Sal, oregano, parsley, rosemary, lime juice, sour oranges, tomato paste. These are the "complete" Dominican kitchen, as far as spices, herbs are concerned. The "typical" kitchen..that is.

HB
Thanks HB , can you recommend any typical food combinations ? AE refered a great recipe site but I'd like as much independant input as I can get.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I have to say unfortunately that recipe can be boiled down to: onions, garlic, aji, tomato paste, agria, cilantro and una sopita. No mater what the recipe is! Beef, chicken, shrimp it is all the same seasoning. Even more unfortunate is the natural ingredients seem to be diminishing to the bottled "sazones" even in the campo. When was the last time anyone here had a moro prepared with bija?

Love my Dominican cuisine but it is hardly adventurous.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Saz?n Ranchero" - The Magic Bottle

I have to say unfortunately that recipe can be boiled down to: onions, garlic, aji, tomato paste, agria, cilantro and una sopita. No mater what the recipe is! Beef, chicken, shrimp it is all the same seasoning. Even more unfortunate is the natural ingredients seem to be diminishing to the bottled "sazones" even in the campo. When was the last time anyone here had a moro prepared with bija?
Love my Dominican cuisine but it is hardly adventurous.

The 'bandera' is the most common meal, freh spices are hardly ever used.
The ubiquitous 'saz?n completo' - liquid or as powder - rules the kitchen and the cuisine.
And a layer of cooking oil on top.... :tired:
Buen provecho!

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the notion and concept of Dominican cuisine is imaginary. every type of meat is seasoned with the same spices. you do not know whether you are eating lamb, chicken, or Tibetan yak. in places like the USA, there are guys who make a name for themselves as the master of certain things. go to Kansas City, and you will have barbecued spare ribs by some guy called Big Leroy, which taste different from the ones by Kingfish down the block..in the DR, you eat pork chops in Bonao, then eat them in Samana, you just ate the same meal. you would swear they ship it around. as for things like shrimps, and lambi. you can have those any way you like, as long as it is al ajillo, or, for those who do not understand, in garlic sauce. no creativity, whatsoever. then again, that is what happens when you eat to live, not live to eat.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
redscot, donp and gorgon, am I to understand there is yet some room left for some creatiity in the RD culinary arts ??? ja ja ja

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
so perhaps I'll come at this problem from a different angle, what types of fresh meat, poultry ,seafood , vegetable are readily available ?

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Chuck T,
You will not want for ingredient's. This country has it all! Between the tubers of the lowlands and the highland capacity for things such as brussel sprouts, it runs the gammut. Fresh ingredients are not a problem, in my home we cook everything from chinese to Indian to Italian cuisine never lacking an ingredient. The country is blessed with provisions, culinary creativity is another matter.

Again, I am not slamming Dominican Cuisine here, I am a fan, and a consumer. But being honest, it is not very worldly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes, Chuck. this land produces some of the best fruits and vegetables you will ever see in your life. what it does not produce is good cooks, and great meals. worse yet, Dominicans think the food is great, because that is what they are accustomed to. they will give you a list of great Dominican culinary inventions. then you have to remind them that things like morir sonando are universal...every country on earth makes a version of it. it is an orange julius, for God?s sake

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
yes, Chuck. this land produces some of the best fruits and vegetables you will ever see in your life. what it does not produce is good cooks, and great meals. worse yet, Dominicans think the food is great, because that is what they are accustomed to. they will give you a list of great Dominican culinary inventions. then you have to remind them that things like morir sonando are universal...every country on earth makes a version of it. it is an orange julius, for God?s sake
This is very disappointing because much of the food I've tried in the Caribbean areas have distinctive differences based on the areas ethnic background, usually very diversified and quite interesting.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
all the ingredients are here, but the local cuisine is one of the most boring I ever encountered. They have some nice dishes, but they all taste the same.

btw Chuck... yes you can get everything here, or well... almost, but not in Jarabacoa. Get used to the basics there... Fresh herbs there, like parsley... rare... if you see it, buy all of it and freeze it... this is what I used to do...

I do miss the farmer's market there... great produce and great people...

LittleBird

Jul 8, 2011
Chuck T,
You will not want for ingredient's. This country has it all! Between the tubers of the lowlands and the highland capacity for things such as brussel sprouts, it runs the gammut. Fresh ingredients are not a problem, in my home we cook everything from chinese to Indian to Italian cuisine never lacking an ingredient. The country is blessed with provisions, culinary creativity is another matter.

Again, I am not slamming Dominican Cuisine here, I am a fan, and a consumer. But being honest, it is not very worldly.

So I am given to understand that pricing is also reasonable for fresh vegetables and meat?

Gorgon is right, every form of cuisine has a counterpart somewhere else. Empanadas in spain are pasties in England. Ravioli in Italy is Chow Tzu in China. Flan has its origins in the Islamic Empire that occupied Spain.
As long as I have fresh ingredients I can cook pretty much anything from my native Southern US cuisine to pretty much anything out there. The key is having ingredients and at a price that doesn't require me to mortgage my soul. <GG> LB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Fresh cilantro, bija, garlice, basil, oregano are all available in Jarabacoa. I agree that Dominican food is for the most part basic and not too inventive, however I've had fantastic barbecued pork and chicken. I've had several home-made hot sauces that will bring tears to your eyes, and I've had many delicious meals at friends that are beyond the standard Dominican meal. My wife could eat the samr thing every day but I like variety. I, unlke most of you, like Dominican beef( I dribble lime on it).

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Little Bird worry not. You can get it all here, if you are into cooking you will not be limited. The prices I am sure you will find very reasonable compared to your mother country. At the moment in the Nacional in Santiago you can get fresh Thyme, Basil, Mint, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary, Lemmongrass, Arugula, and many others that don't come to mind for roughly 75 U.S. cents a package.

Fresh pork, free range chicken, fish, beef raised without horomones, rabbit, etc, etc, you can get it all here.

Don't even get me started about the fruits!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Fresh cilantro, bija, garlice, basil, oregano are all available in Jarabacoa. I agree that Dominican food is for the most part basic and not too inventive, however I've had fantastic barbecued pork and chicken. I've had several home-made hot sauces that will bring tears to your eyes, and I've had many delicious meals at friends that are beyond the standard Dominican meal. My wife could eat the samr thing every day but I like variety. I, unlke most of you, like Dominican beef( I dribble lime on it).

hey, no dispute there... the bbq'd pork.... wow....