Girls Drowned in Hotel Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is very very sad that 2 girls drowned. Where were the parents when these two girls were swimming?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Parents' Fault?

It is very very sad that 2 girls drowned. Where were the parents when these two girls were swimming?
Obviously children can drown easily and in those very few minutes when parents are distracted or absent.
These cases are not as rare as one would hope.
[VIDEO] Mueren dos menores ahogados en piscinas de hoteles del pa?s

[video=youtube;yGQSV2wd2Mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQSV2wd2Mk[/video]

Maybe surveillance cameras ought to be installed in order to avoid such tragedies.
But then, who would monitor the monitors?
Guess, it is the parents' fault mainly.

donP

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Its every parents nightmare I guess. When in LA we went to the top of the building to get a fresh dip in the swimming pool and when we just came up we saw a young boy trapped in one of those tire things in rubber, he had dropped in with his bump first so was pretty much stuck with his feet sticking up and when trying to escape which was fairly impossible, the tire tilted putting his head under water. Must have happened in a fraction of a second and just when we came up so the boy had no chance to yell, he was in panic. I yelled and was ready to jump in but the father who was reading his newspaper at the edge of the swimming pool rushed in to get his son out. There were other people swimming but they didn't notice it because they were swimming theirselves or talking to each other at the edge of the swimming pool.

After that we sworn if we would ever have children we only go to swimming pools and area's that are under surveillance of a pool master(s). That was scary to watch!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would never notice a drowning kid. i have seen dominican children in pools: they do totally crazy stuff. it's very hard to tell what is not a joke :(
very sad. my friend from POP lost her little brother to drowning too.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i would never notice a drowning kid. i have seen dominican children in pools: they do totally crazy stuff. it's very hard to tell what is not a joke :(
very sad. my friend from POP lost her little brother to drowning too.

I know its not the case I think to have pool masters at swimming pools here and certainly not in rivers but pool masters will give children who act to crazy in the water, a warning to calm down a bit. Sorry about your friends loss.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the key is to teach kids how to swim. AND to be able to swim yourself. how would you be able to save your child if you cannot swim?
when i was learning to swim - at ripe age of 29 - my class was full of kids, including those who could not even walk. they put me to shame...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thats true dv8, my father insisted at our locacl community swimming pool that I was to be learned how to swim properly at the age of 4 despite the fact that officially they only teach as from the age of 6. It took not much convincing the head swimming master, although some dispute, so my father just let me go and the first thing I did was just jump into the deep end of the pool.
After doing that a couple of times to convince the teacher that it was no coincidence, I was taught how to swim properly at the age of 4. Both my parents are also very good swimmers.

But still then after learning how to swim properly, my father kept a very close eye on me and so did the pool master because kids will be kids and sometimes my own fault but often the fault of other bigger children, I went under a few times.

Other example how stupid and quick something like that goes : stephdaughter, 5 years old, cannot swim yet, has already a bit basic, insists on going on the steps in the water at a waterpark where the big tube comes out to see better how people are yelling when they fly out of that tube. Since she was standing on the steps and not swimming, she had not protection on her arms. She takes one step further and blup blup...there she went under and stayed under...her father jumped in immediately with his clothes already on...stupid of us? Sure but who would have ever thought that she would take a step further...hmm

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lots of adults I know here can't swim - but strange at it may sound apparently this is not unusual in the Caribbean. Everywhere else I've lived learning to swim is as much a part of growing up as learning how to walk, talk and read - children are expected to have learned by the age of about six.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is actually much harder for Dominican children to learn to swim. The bones of black and mixed race people are considerably heavier and denser. When I was a diving instructor you have to put weight on people to enable them to sink. The amount of weight depends on the amount of fat (which is very buoyant) muscle which is neutral and the density of the bones. For example older people need more weight usually as their bones begin to lose density. However a black person will rarely if ever need weight as they sink like a stone. Ever wondered why there are no black swimmers in the Olympics?? The result of this is that it is much easier for the local population to drown here as it takes much more effort for them to stay on the surface, and hence far fewer learn to swim.

Matilda

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is actually much harder for Dominican children to learn to swim. The bones of black and mixed race people are considerably heavier and denser. When I was a diving instructor you have to put weight on people to enable them to sink. The amount of weight depends on the amount of fat (which is very buoyant) muscle which is neutral and the density of the bones. For example older people need more weight usually as their bones begin to lose density. However a black person will rarely if ever need weight as they sink like a stone. Ever wondered why there are no black swimmers in the Olympics?? The result of this is that it is much easier for the local population to drown here as it takes much more effort for them to stay on the surface, and hence far fewer learn to swim.

Matilda

From what I have read I have heard blacks (and American Indian's) bones are the densest and that coupled with low body fat and smaller lung capacity it makes it more difficult for blacks to swim. Nonetheless, I was a lifeguard in a public pool in South Carolina and we had many black children and young adults swimming there without problems. The density problem can be mitigated by holding more air in the lungs. I learned this because as a skinny guy I had low buoyancy too. No doubt these kids aren't receiving the proper instruction. Still as a lifeguard in the States I learned many, many people drown every year in public pools, rivers and beaches.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The density problem can be mitigated by holding more air in the lungs..

That is true when you are swimming, but the main rule when diving is never ever ever hold your breath. Easiest way to die if you do. And if you are drowning it is also a tad difficult to do.

Matilda

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
That is true when you are swimming, but the main rule when diving is never ever ever hold your breath. Easiest way to die if you do. And if you are drowning it is also a tad difficult to do.

Matilda

I saw once on a channel a documentary about a very skilled woman who did wild water kayaking, she got stuck with her kayak between rocks, very rare situation because she was just below water with her head and couldn't get out of the boat. She incredible decided in a moment to blow out the air out of her lungs and not to breath in any water, because she knew, its cold water so I can be resusitated after stop breathing at a later time AND drowning with almost dry lungs gives still better chance to be resusitated...wow, you must have nerves of steel to do that.

I know resusistated is not correct but damn I don't find the right spelling for the word...

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Back in the 60's, I ran distance track (cross country, mile, et.) in school. At that time, it was "common knowledge" that blacks would NEVER be good distance runners, because our (yes, I'm black) "bodies matured too late", and we could not keep the mental focus required. That is what I was told by the coaches and the experts. Fast forward to who is winning some distance races now .... marathons and more.

In terms of swimming, all I will say is, just be careful what you believe ....

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r-F2jLRgydc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sound quality not good, but you will get the message ...

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-pilMGlY04Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And HE is not the only one in the pools.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Matilda

Maltida

If you are talking about free diving of course you have to hold your breath. With regard to diving with pressurized air yes it is correct that one should never hold their breath.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Back in the 60's, I ran distance track (cross country, mile, et.) in school. At that time, it was "common knowledge" that blacks would NEVER be good distance runners, because our (yes, I'm black) "bodies matured too late", and we could not keep the mental focus required. That is what I was told by the coaches and the experts. Fast forward to who is winning some distance races now .... marathons and more.

Tell that to the Kenyans

Status
Not open for further replies.