Can A 13 year old child leave the country with out a "Letter of Permission"?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can A 13 year old child leave the country with out a "Letter of Permission"?

I posed this same question in the "LEGAL FORUM". Since,"Time Is Of The Essence" here,I am also looking for a quick response here on "LIVING",since someone my have personal experience with this question.
My son is 13.His mother is Dominican.He was born here.He has both Dominican and USA passports
Can a 13 year old travel without a letter of permission from the non-traveling parent?
Thank you.
Cris Colon

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I posed this same question in the "LEGAL FORUM". Since,"Time Is Of The Essence" here,I am also looking for a quick response here on "LIVING",since someone my have personal experience with this question.
My son is 13.His mother is Dominican.He was born here.He has both Dominican and USA passports
Can a 13 year old travel without a letter of permission from the non-traveling parent?
Thank you.
Cris Colon
Cris, why not bring the damn letter just incase ? I'll help with any spelling of hard words. lol

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is from the AA webpage:

Passengers 12 through 17 years of age are considered Young Adults. Use of the Unaccompanied Minor service is not required for young adults 12 through 17 but is available upon request (subject to the same charges and provisions).

Children Traveling Alone

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have to have a letter done up. I have traveled with my grandsons at that age and we were asked for it leaving the DR. Not a major big deal, it is just a letter.. some notarizing of course...but it should not be a big hassle.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It isn't about the airlines rules in this case as it is about the laws of the DR. My experience is that the non-traveling parent has to approve the travel by signing a document that is also officially reviewed and stamped at the Cancilleria in Santo Domingo. Each trip requires a new document.

That said, I didn't have the required document once and $2,000 RD took care of it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I answered your other post too. The notarized letter is the correct way and yes you have to have it stamped.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
My 12 yo son just flew unaccompanied to New York. He has U.S. and Colombian passports and has legal residency in the Dominican Republic. He traveled with his U.S. passport and used his RD residency card to exit without tax.

I called the airline about the letter, they said "Dominican citizens must have the letter, not U.S. citizens." Since the 13 yo has both, I think it would be wise to get the letter. How awful if you got to the airport and he wasn't allowed through immigration and lost the opportunity to travel that day.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Oops, I should add that at the airport check in they did ask me if he (my 12 yo) was Dominican, since he is hispanic and totally sounds Dominican. I was alone to take him (blond nordic type). But I showed the U.S. passport and that ended any questions about his going alone. He was born in Colombia, not the Dominican Republic. Was your son born in the DR? If so, that shows on his passport and they may demand the letter anyway. All depends on who is in charge that day and what kind of mood they are in ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is what happened to me:
My grandson is a US citizen and travels on a US passport.
He was born in Santiago, Dominican Republic

He is considered a Dominican by Migraci?n an is required to have the following document in order to leave:
The parents
If living outside the DR, they should go to the Dominican consulate and have a Power Drawn up authorizing the minor's trip.
2 copies of parents IDs...passports/c?dulas etc
If living in the DR, they should have a notary draw up to authorize the trip by the minor, legalized by the Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica, and two copies of c?dula or passports of authorizing parents and two copies of notarized letter.
If the mother or father is alone, they have to provide proof of custody by a sentence from the judge at the Boys, Girls and Adolescents Tribunal.
If the minor is traveling with a third party, both parents have to authorize the trip.
If there is a single parent (divorced, widow or widower) proof must be provided showing custody of child or death of partner. Plus two copies.
If the child is going to travel with one parent, the other parent must approve by notarized letter plus the Authorization by Migraci?n. Two copies of identity documents.

Requisites for minor:
2 copies of the front page of passport,plus the original
2 copies of Birth Certificate Legalized plus two photocopies
2 copies of the Visa or Residence
2 photos 2x2
2 stamps of RD$30 each

Requisites for accompanying adult:
2 copies of front pages of Passport
2 copies of visa or resident
If minor is traveling with airline personnel, identify airline

Costs involvded
Birth certificate 400 pesos
Photos 150 pesos
Permit from Migracion 1000 if travel is a day or so later, 2000 pesos if travel is same day

Yes, Grasshopper, my US citizen grandson who travels on a US passport, but was born in Santiago, would be required to jump these hoops.

Note: they will accept faxes of the documents if the parents are overseas...

HB