visit to dr with a soon to be expiring passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2011
I have a vacation scheduled to sousa for the 2nd weekend in Jan. I just looked at my passport and it's scheduled to expire Feb 20th. Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for the DR? Some countries require passports be good for 90 days or so. I just want to see if anyone knows so I dont get sent right back on the plane. Also would I have any issues leaving the united states with this within a month of experation?

I can take care of this now if I have to since I have some time but I figured i'd ask first

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think most countries ask for 6 months before your passport expires so probably worth taking care of it now.

matilda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a vacation scheduled to sousa for the 2nd weekend in Jan. I just looked at my passport and it's scheduled to expire Feb 20th. Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for the DR? Some countries require passports be good for 90 days or so. I just want to see if anyone knows so I dont get sent right back on the plane. Also would I have any issues leaving the united states with this within a month of experation?

I can take care of this now if I have to since I have some time but I figured i'd ask first

Is your planned return within the period the passport is valid?

I have never heard of anyone having a problem during all the years I have been reading messages if the passport had not expired. But since you are going to have to renew anyone, why not do it now then you will be good for future trips as well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You cannot travel any longer on an expired passport, at least not to the USA. At least I don't think so. I do not know about Europe. Get the thing renewed and save the hassle.

HB

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
It used to be that your passport had to be valid for 6 months beyond your date of departure just to leave the US on international flights. But this might have changed.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
From the UK Dominican Republic Embassy Website -
"How much time do I need to have on my Passport to visit the Dominican Republic?
To enter the Dominican Republic, a Passport must be valid for twice the amount of time the person shall remain in the country (i.e. four weeks from the date of entry if the person remains for two weeks), NOT six months or ten years as is often thought."

Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

I assume it's the same from other countries.

Hope that helps.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The problem here, if there will be one is not with the DR, but leaving the US with the passport. You will get in the DR, but the airline in the US may not let you on.

I would call your airline and tell them about this and see if they have a problem or not.

As for coming back to the US, they have to let you in. You are a US citizen.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Simple answer...just renew it before you go! Why play around when your expiration date is so close to your travel dates, and you have plenty of time to renew it before hand?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good for you! See folks, sometimes people do take our advice!!

Now go and have fun!!

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.