Rhubarb??

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I was just talking to my novia and tried to explain that I ate rhubarb for dessert. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Is rhubarb grown in the DR and if so what do they call it?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I was just talking to my novia and tried to explain that I ate rhubarb for dessert. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Snooze, what could be better than rhubarb pie ? If I'm not mistaken my wife picked it wild in Minnesota when we were young ( thats many many years ago) lol

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

I have seen fresh rhubarb in the farmer's market in Jarabacoa, but do not ask me the name of it here. But yes, it is on the island...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's ruibarbo in Spanish. A Dominican friend once served me rhubarb and apple pie. IIRC she said the rhubarb had been grown by a German friend.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Rhubab is in the celery family and will NOT grow in the DR<<<<<<

~Rhubarb is a cool season, perennial plant that is very winter hardy and resistant to drought. Its crop is produced from crowns consisting of fleshy rhizomes and buds. Following a season of growth the rhubarb crown becomes dormant and temperatures below 40 ?F / 5 ?C are required to stimulate bud break and subsequent growth. The first shoots to appear in the spring are edible petioles and leaves. These emerge sequentially as long as temperatures remain cool (below 90 ?F / 32 ?C). As temperatures increase, top growth is suppressed, even appearing dormant in periods of extreme heat. With declining temperatures in later summer, foliage growth resumes.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
It's ruibarbo in Spanish. A Dominican friend once served me rhubarb and apple pie. IIRC she said the rhubarb had been grown by a German friend.

Thx Chiri, next time we go to Jarabacoa, we are going to take the drive further up to Constanza because that the only place I could imagine where it could be grown here on the Island...ruibarbo...gotta to write that down.