homemade bread question

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I've tried a few times now to make homemade pizza dough or bread dough with limited success. I can't seem to get the dough to rise properly. Any suggestions? And no, I don't need any comments about not being able to get things to rise!! ;-)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I've tried a few times now to make homemade pizza dough or bread dough with limited success. I can't seem to get the dough to rise properly. Any suggestions? And no, I don't need any comments about not being able to get things to rise!! ;-)
Corey , I've had the same problem ( re: the pizza dough) lol I've resorted to a good pre-made one like Barbolli (spelling uncertain)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you following the instructions regarding water temp with the yeast? Very important. And one of my Italian grandmothers always added a small boiled potato to the mix, she made the best pizza dough ever.

AE

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Yes, I'm very careful to follow the instructions. Another friend of mine, who bakes extensively in the States, has the same problem down here. I was wondering if humidity or something might be affecting it, but it seems to me, that with the heat down here it would rise better!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am guessing that the yeast being used has lost effectivity I have had the experience where one bottle of yeast works and the other does not.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Corey, trust me and go with a good quality pre-made, I fought the same problem and finally gave up and when I use the Barboli crust, The pizza is excellent

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
La Sirena and Nacional have Betty Crocker (or is it Pillsbury?) pre-packaged pizza mix. Just add hot water, knead, let sit for several minuted, and roll out. I think I posted a photo-essay about making pizza here before.

It's quite good and at a reasonable price. Two packages make a cookie-sheet size pizza.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a bread maker, makes breads and pizza dough, comes out all great.
store your yeast in a fridge - always - and add a tiny bit more. that's what we do anyways. the rest of the work is done by the machine.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The problem is the quality of your yeast. DV8 has given you good advice.

To that, I would add: The next time you're outside the DR, you might want to pick up a jar of yeast.

Two more tips:
1. Some pizza places will sell you dough so you can make your own pizza at home.
2. Some friends purchase pita bread and use it to make individual pizzas, so that each person can add toppings as desired.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i make most of the bread we eat, and have never had problem with the yeast. and there are plenty of bakeries who also use dominican yeast, so i don't think that importing from the states is going to solve your problem.

your yeast might be dead. buy another bottle and try again. the potato in the water is a good trick.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
try the fresh yeast, which you can find in the fridges or sometimes in the freezer of the supermarkets. works a lot better.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
i have never had a problem making pizza dough with dried yeast...much easier, doesnt need activating in water, just kneed it in.

As for bread, have you come across the no-knead school of breadmaking? It is getting very popular as a way of making really lovely and easy bread:
YouTube - ‪Making No-Knead Bread‬‏

Let me know if you get into it...takes a little practice but it makes fantastic bread!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i have never had a problem making pizza dough with dried yeast...much easier, doesnt need activating in water, just kneed it in.

As for bread, have you come across the no-knead school of breadmaking? It is getting very popular as a way of making really lovely and easy bread:
YouTube - ‪Making No-Knead Bread‬‏

Let me know if you get into it...takes a little practice but it makes fantastic bread!

I do love my bread machine, just pop everything in and turn on and let the feast begin after the dough is done by decorating the pizza!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for all of the feedback. How do you use the potato?

Grandma used to boil a small potato, peel it and mash it into the dough. I think she used a cheese grater to shred it sometimes. She also used the water she boiled the potato in after it cooled a bit. No one made a lighter, better pizza bread than she did.

AE

Jan 17, 2009
I make bread but with yeast that I bring from the US. No success with yeast bought here. To be fresh, even if it is powder yeast, it needs to be keep in the refrigerator, and the water temp is very important. BUT I use the 5-minute bread recipe with some of adjustments on the flour side (more flour or less water), otherwise the heat and humidity make don't help. Better yet, use whole-wheat flour instead of white. I used this same recipe for pizza as well as a regular pizza dough recipe and they both work well.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
While I was in the States, I bought some yeast (kept in freezer). Made pizza last night, WOW did it turn out awesome!! My first success down here! Of course, I made so much dough because I'm so used to it not rising, that it was like eating a thin loaf of bread with toppings :). I don't know if it's because I bought the yeast in the States or that it was fresh that made the difference. Does anyone know where I can buy imported yeast like that here?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'd like to learn to make pizza dough here but I seemed to remember it was difficult to find imported yeast here. If there are good local brands it would be nice if somebody could posts their names. Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use Levadura Seca from Levapan. It comes in an 8 ounce plastic jar with a red top and a red, white and blue label.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm confuzzled.

If Dominican yeast is bad, why is there so much decent bread around*, especially from smaller bakers?

*Dominican standards, not where-you-came-from standards.