Strike makes conditions very dangerous today- STAY AT HOME!!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
My girlfriend mentioned to me that one person is dead in Bonao. There are sure to be more in other parts of the country. Where her family lives in Esperanza there were men in facemasks walking the streets with shotguns early in the morning. Conditions can be especially dangerous for foreigners. STAY AT HOME.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Indeed, these thugs are not just striking but are causing many problems through civil disobedience and it is a good idea to stay off the streets today ..all my neighbours have everything well shut up in case of shooting ........I am yet to actually discover exactly what the strikers want ...seems they just do not like the current difficult economic times.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hear it's over the latest tax increase of 25% to 29% to businesses, which is bound to cause layoffs and price increases. People are angry that the government keeps collecting more and more taxes, which disappear into the black hole called the government treasury. Even the Chambers of Commerce and the Catholic Church are supporting the strike, even a special Mass in Parque Independcia. My brother-in-law says the streets of SD are empty and every business is closed

AE

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I live in Juan dolio and everything looks calm as usual, the unusual is of course there is no public transportation and almost no flow of private cars - last time i checked- restaurants/markets and everything else seems to be working normally. I hear the situation in san pedro same, no public transportation, but i am not planning on confirming that! :) today is a nice day to be at home on a strike as well so the house work will have to hold on till tomorrow because i'm supporting the strike!!!! Arriba!! :p

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In Sosua, little evidence of a strike except no puiblico or guagua service .

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
& then...?

What typically happens then, I mean on Tuesday at 6 a.m., when the strike is said to be over... things quiet down, or is it likely that the protests continue for a few days?

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Well... That is a question we all would love to have a positive answer to! if everything goes QUIET today, people will conitnue tomorrow with their regular life and.. EVERYTHING WILL BE JUST LIKE YESTERDAY...

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
Depressing, but lucky for me I a had a good day yesterday then...

"Regular life", hmm, nothing I have seen so far over here seems regular to me (apart from the glassbubble existence in the AI resorts)...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the fun always starts in the evenings, tyres burning in the dark make better show, i suppose. i mentioned in another thread that according to miesposo, who went to work, all of POP is very quiet, most businesses closed. i am not going to work today as we are going to close farmacia early. during strikes there are always riots on the main street in the barrio where pharmacy is located. so better to be safe than sorry.
i would say that if you need to do anything today do it now and avoid going out in the evening. last night in POP theye were already burning tyres in some barrios. watch the power, so far uninterrupted service so people stay home and watch telenovelas. as soon as the power goes the show will start...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just Anothe "FIESTA" Day,according to the newspaper.

They said that "Most Dominicans" like the "Strikes",because it's just another day off!
They said that because there are "so many" strikes,strikes are getting just like an "Old Dog" that just lays on the floor and doesn't bark,let alone bite.They have become just another decoration around the house.They also said that many got drunk last night,because they didn't have to go to work today!

May view is that it's a "Reason",as if they need one,for young "Gangsters",and street punks to "Act Out"!
They have no political "ax-to-grind",they just like running the streets.

Many of the "So Called" strikes are promoted by whichever political party is out-of-power at the time.Then they like to point out that the party in power,"Can't control the streets"
That's why you see such o police,and military presence,and a "Zero Tolerance Policy" to keep things quiet.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not much happening in Santiago. No traffic, it's a dream to drive around even at 200 a gallon...jeje.

Strike is for a halt to increasing fuel prices, and interest rates and some other stuff. same old same old.

And nothing will happen...it is like bread and circuses ...

HB

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
I read some online materials to get a sense of the political climate during the last decade or so & I have a few times come accross that Leonel brought about some good reforms during his rein.

Having said that, all sites were from the DR & nowhere did I find further information about what those reforms alledgedly are...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
took my usual 3 hr walk this am,went to Ferreteria Americana on San Vincente,in SD,not much traffic ,most stores opened....no trouble anywhere...El Conde busy as ever...Parque Independencia had some gathering going on,lots of police around..
bob

bob
My girlfriend mentioned to me that one person is dead in Bonao. There are sure to be more in other parts of the country. Where her family lives in Esperanza there were men in facemasks walking the streets with shotguns early in the morning. Conditions can be especially dangerous for foreigners. STAY AT HOME.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
What’s missing?

My wife went from our home in the Sosua area to a Doctor appointment in Cabarete. She was amazed how nice the drive was with not having to dodge the guaguas, publicos and trucks with almost NO traffic. She did not see any protests at all. She did note that several places were closed but not as many as she expected.

We also noted that we had a full day of quite. NO car horns, loud exhaust systems and motors or p.a. systems at full blast that we usually hear from the main road, 5, that is about a mile away. It took us awhile to figure out what was different and what’s missing.

My wife commented; “this is almost spooky, but I like it”.

We will see what happens as evening sets in and the rum has taken over.