Ex pats are just as likely to let you down as any native!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So maybe it is just people where ever we live, some ex pats I've come into contact with here are pretty unreliable, shady and untrustworthy, I can only say the same for natives in general, but by far ex pats get away with a lot of unseen shady activity, business, empty promises and BS while we do concentrate our bitching on the natives. I've decided that is not fair!

I can count on one hand the amount of natives I can show maybe a little trust in here, and those mainly family. I can only say the same for ex pats of long time friends. Quite sad I've ended living so defensively because of let downs and history, I am pondering if my thoughts would be the same had I not decided to be here, maybe everywhere is just the same.

Just my thoughts of the day!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Anastacio

Sorry things didn't work out for you. You seem like a "go getter" and somewhat well read so I'm kind of surprised you didn't gravitate towards teaching English here in the DR as a living can be made of it especially if you can get a masters - even from one of the local universities. I think it would be a slam dunk for anybody with an undergraduate degree who is a native English speaker.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Been there and done it, and not sure I have that in me these days. It was good fun but it has a sell by date for me and it expired.
But I have spent today pondering relaxing enjoying the sun and I have found myself having more memory of being BS'd, used and let down by more ex pats than I have natives, and more ex pats owe me money. Infact any substantial money has always been retrieved from natives eventually using some form of bullying, payment plan or intimidation.
No need to drag the past thread up, I'd like to keep this on this topic.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Anas, I have found the same.

Somehow folks think if they live in a forign country folks who speak your language are supposed to be trusted friends. I've been much more badly screwed by expats than by native Dominicans.

But it's like anywhere else you go: only a tiny % of people you meet become friends. Commion language is a thin reason to befriend someone.

Now having said that I've met some seriously rock-solid expats, folks I can depend on in a pinch and vice versa.

You shoulda called while you were in Jarabacoa...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Anastacio speaks the truth. If you are in a foreign country you gravitate towards people who are from your home country or who speak your language. These are often people you would not associate with if you were in your home country. But I have been shafted much more by expats than by Dominicans. In my colmado the people who did runners owing cash were all expats not Dominicans. Beware the expats.

matilda

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
ex pats

I disagree. From what I have run into its the expats that are much more likely to let you down. From the day I got here I was told to watch out and I incorrectly assumed they were referring to dominicans. The most money I have lost and problems created has been to the expats and rarely have I ever had problems with dominicans. I ran into one massive dominican problem but she was from a lower class background and was married to an expat so I don;t count her as a problem with a dominican. It is so sad really, when you expect some sort of little bonding and a level of trust when in a foreign land and you run into trouble, but far too many expats have used that as a way to get inside your trust and benefit inappropriately as a result. Sometimes it just makes me want to cry the lack of compassion some people have.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't have to live here very long to find out that many expats left whatever ethics, respect for laws and rules, etc they had in the airport they departed from. They conduct themselves here in ways they never would in their own country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even on this board there were, and i am sure there still are some shady characters who live off cheating other expats. dominican paradise attracts them because here they can catch their pray with more ease. people tend to drift towards their fellow men, be it canadian, british or polish. we think that common language, common culture and common experience is enough but it ain't. i have not been taken for a ride by a fellow expat but i have found, sadly, that someone i liked and trusted was... well... dishonest, to put it gently.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
As of now I have no problems with expats. The city I live is very small and hardly there are 4 people speaking same language even though different nationality. I have no problems at all even if we are in the same business and i am close friend to all. But apart me even these four people envy among themselves.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So sad but ever so true. I became friends with 2 expats and sadly both owe me. However with that said some of the best advice I have ever received has come from expats. Not all of us are cut from the same mold. My motto is never loan more than you can stand to lose.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I live in a small community with a real small group of english expats as the majority are european. But I can list 8 cons and 6 shills just among the english. It is so hard to watch them do their trade and sometimes I think they know not what they do but then they do it all over again with a new mark. Fishers of men and wo men. It is not worth exposing them as the largest have exposed themselves and the rest are just petty and basura. At any rate it seems most marks do not want to know and the cons and shills protect each other so very well.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I live in a small community with a real small group of english expats as the majority are european. But I can list 8 cons and 6 shills just among the english. It is so hard to watch them do their trade and sometimes I think they know not what they do but then they do it all over again with a new mark. Fishers of men and wo men. It is not worth exposing them as the largest have exposed themselves and the rest are just petty and basura. At any rate it seems most marks do not want to know and the cons and shills protect each other so very well.
They say exposure to the light is the best purifier.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Shakespeare said it best, "... neither a borrower nor a lender be..." Words to live by, even now.... or ESPECIALLY now!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess I don't know many "ExPats".Just those on DR1,and a friend who I have known since high school,48 years now. The ones from DR1 have been very nice people.Others are friends of my friends,and also nice people.
I have heard the "Stories" about Expat scam artists,but they seem to be in Tourist meccas Tourists seem to be easy pickings. Their guard id down,and they are sympathetic to "Sob Stories" Maybe that's why the "Sankies" ply their trad there as well.
I don't loan money to anyone,anyway,anyhow!
CC

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I try to figure out why the poorest of the poor can be very happy at the same time as as poor. I guess it is because they have a sense of community and they share. If the world was full of Shakespears we would be in a real mess and so many old scrooges, no trust, nothing would get built, there would be no commerce and everyone would be so less social.

cons and shills have are the nicest of the nice 99% of the time, at least in public. It is their trade after all.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The poorest of the poor are very happy and poor at the same time because they can't miss what they never had. Never been rich, so can't miss it. Never had a job, so can't miss it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why does anyone think the poorest of the poor are happy? Do you think not being able to buy milk and proper food for the children makes them happy? that not being able to send the children to school because they can't afford to buy clothes and school supplies makes them happy? that not being able to afford needed medical and dental care makes them happy?

They may not have had them, but they see evidence all around them that others do.

These people have a very hard life. A strong religious faith is what keeps them going, a belief that at the end of the day God will provide for them.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
They're poor and happy because that is a better alternative than their other option, poor and miserable.

Of course they can miss stability and opportunities that come with earning a better living. They're people after all, just folks born into less ideal circumstances.

Back to topic. The "Wild West" wasn't the idyllic utopia in Dances with Wolves, but at the same time was never really all that "wild." Things went south when opportunistic folks showed up, and started exploiting everything in sight - and wiping out anyone who protested. See, wherever there's cattle, there's likely cattle rustlers.

And there's the rub. The same "freedom" that so many expats love is like a super-pheromone, attracting expat ladrones like locusts.

The key is remembering that just because they left any sense of ethical responsibility at the airport terminal doesn't mean you should do the same and turn your common sense off as soon as you hear some bachata on the beach. Most people are here for a reason, and you should refrain from any legitimate business dealings until you figure out what those real reasons are.

Last edited:

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
So maybe it is just people where ever we live, some ex pats I've come into contact with here are pretty unreliable, shady and untrustworthy, I can only say the same for natives in general, but by far ex pats get away with a lot of unseen shady activity, business, empty promises and BS while we do concentrate our bitching on the natives. I've decided that is not fair!

I can count on one hand the amount of natives I can show maybe a little trust in here, and those mainly family. I can only say the same for ex pats of long time friends. Quite sad I've ended living so defensively because of let downs and history, I am pondering if my thoughts would be the same had I not decided to be here, maybe everywhere is just the same.

Just my thoughts of the day!!

When some people in this forum will understand that there are not NATIVOS here. They were killed by The Spanish and by 1560 they were very few aborigines on the island. Thats why unlike other Latin countries, We do not have Mestixos.
Please show some respect and refer to the people who live in this country as Dominicans, locals, etc.