Propane conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
Hi, has anyone had their car converted to run on gas by someone on the north coast and can they recomend them. Someone near Sosua would be best.
Thanks

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I have studied this a bit. There are two ways to have it done. One, the shortcut that costs about $1500 but this method often leads to fires and explosions in the vehicle. Many of the taxis used the shortcut. The long way and much much more expensive is to purchase the correct conversion kit and have it done by a professional.
I'd not recommend anyone but would suggest you talk to several of the taxi drivers who have had this done.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not to hijack the thread - but I've been hearing a lot about conversions to natural gas in DR. Anyone know anyone who's done it?

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a full Romano system with underdash switch/fuel gauge and 19gal. round spare tire tank, used but in excellent condition, for sale for $RD15000 installed in Santiago by a skilled mechanic, a smoking deal. Ran my Nissan Xterra well for over 2 years.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not to hijack the thread - but I've been hearing a lot about conversions to natural gas in DR. Anyone know anyone who's done it?

AE
Fuel distribution is almost non-existant and is hazardous to boot. Additionally, the performance in a vehicle converted from gasoline is very poor because ot CNG's thermal potential. It's much worse than propane, which in 20% less than gasoline.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Fuel distribution is almost non-existant and is hazardous to boot. Additionally, the performance in a vehicle converted from gasoline is very poor because ot CNG's thermal potential. It's much worse than propane, which in 20% less than gasoline.

I think they specifically said converting diesel to natural gas - does that make a difference??

AE

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think they specifically said converting diesel to natural gas - does that make a difference??

AE
Massive difference. Diesel fuel is heavy oil. CNG is a light gas. You'd have to do major engine work for a conversion:
  • Add an oil cooler
  • Add a new camshaft
  • Lower the compression ratio (a combinatioon of new pistons, combustion chamber, boring and/or reworked crankshaft)
  • New valves and valve guides)
  • Have to ADD an ignition system (diesels have none)
  • The head has to have a spark plug port added
  • Add a new fuel system
Those are massive technical considerations.

IMO, just not worth it.

Plus, CNG is highgly compressed and that creates a whole different set of safety and distribution concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.