Proud of my little town

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Here is an article that I am very proud to share with you all. This is the township that I reside in, and we have generously donated our old fire truck to the fire department in Sosua. Between the two towns that make up our township, we have an approximate population of 550 people and we are pretty much located smack dab in the middle of Canada in a very rural area. The largest cities near us are roughly 4 - 5 hours away (Thunder Bay and Winnipeg). It just goes to show, you don't have to be big and powerful, you just need to have a good heart! Talk about a small world, though!

Oh and hi to everyone that I haven't conversed with for quite awhile, haven't really had anything to say that would enlighten this message board for awhile...until this !!

Sioux Narrows/Nestor Falls fire and rescue gifts surplus pumper to Dominican Republic - Kenora Daily Miner and News - Ontario, CA

Marlie

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Does anyone know if this fire truck runs today? The fire truck in my DR community is a joke as there is no fuel and parts are missing. In case of fire it is a sad reminder most of these projects have no follow through. Donations need a lot more than get rid of older stuff and send it off on a boat. Someone give me a slap and tell me I am a cynic and it is ready to go and saving lives and buildings. fingers crossed.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
You are right, I am sure it hasn't even arrived yet since it left here June 24/11 , arrived in New Jersey on the 28th, and still had to be loaded on a freighter and sent.

Yes, Gordon...you are a cynic and I did take offense to that statement. I lived in the DR many years ago, I know how things go, but to insinuate that we would send something that doesn't even run is not only hurtful but also shows that you have no faith in humanity. And ..yes, Gordon, maybe you should leave the country, as your negativity certainly won't help you in a successful and meaningful life in the good ole DR.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good stuff Marlie!

If Marlie says they are sending a Fire truck to Sosua you can put your money on it that it will be good.

What about customs Marlie will there be anyone to meet it on arrival?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Hey Anna, it has been a long, long time! Hope all is well!

From what I understand, everything is being handled by Dave Kersteman (Wings of Hope) from this point on. I am not familiar with thiis gentleman nor his enterprises, so I am hoping this is all on the up and up. Our fire chief took all this on himself, and then brought the township and fire department onboard. I do hope he has done his homework, if I had known about it earlier, I may have been able to do a little research on here :), but I am sure it will all work out. We have also donated all of our surplus fire fighting uniforms as well.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
French Donations

The public hospital in Las Terrenas and the 'bomberos' there were also donated vehicles from France. :classic:

donP

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Another cynic here:

Would you please include a note that says that the bomberos only should turn the flashing lights on when actually in route to a fire rather than any time they drive anywhere?

The other day, I pulled over for an ambulance, only to pass it 5 kilometers outside of town with the siren off and the driver and two passengers (in front seat) laughing and sharing a Presidente beer. From all appearances, it seems that they turned on the siren so that they could get through traffic.

Enough for the cynic in me.

Canadians are a very giving people, and your donation doesn't surprise me one bit. If I could make one serious request of you: make sure that the story of the old fire engine gets published in newspapers, especially a picture of it in service here in the DR. So much surplus equipment rusts away in Canada and the US and it would be much better used here. By publishing your story, perhaps other townships and agencies might be willing to donate surplus.

And even though I don't live in Sosua, please thank all folks in your township for their donation to the people of the DR.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
You are right, I am sure it hasn't even arrived yet since it left here June 24/11 , arrived in New Jersey on the 28th, and still had to be loaded on a freighter and sent.

Yes, Gordon...you are a cynic and I did take offense to that statement. I lived in the DR many years ago, I know how things go, but to insinuate that we would send something that doesn't even run is not only hurtful but also shows that you have no faith in humanity. And ..yes, Gordon, maybe you should leave the country, as your negativity certainly won't help you in a successful and meaningful life in the good ole DR.

I did not insinuate your donations were not in good condition when they left. You are wasting your hurt feelings on the wrong issue. I have also experienced the rush of packing off many good and thoughtful donations to those less fortunate and contributed countless hours of my life so I don;t need your negativity to judge me.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I hope our DR1 members that live in Sosua will take pictures when it arrives and keep us posted.

Ken takes good pictures maybe he'll volunteer. ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I did not insinuate your donations were not in good condition when they left. You are wasting your hurt feelings on the wrong issue. I have also experienced the rush of packing off many good and thoughtful donations to those less fortunate and contributed countless hours of my life so I don;t need your negativity to judge me.

Sounds, by your defensive position that you've already looked in the mirror.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
you are right Bob. I hate being a cynic. also do not want people that were never in the line of fire jumping in front. I just looked in the mirror again and see tired.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Anna, that would be wonderful if Ken or any other poster that will be in Sosua at the time could take some pics and post them, good idea! I would be able to then send them on to our fire department and town hall! Better yet, I think they should send me down there to hand over the keys ;)

Gordon, I am not trying to pick a fight with you, nor am I a negative person. Please, I made this post to celebrate Sosua's good fortune, and my town's generosity...nothing more, nothing less.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
And even though I don't live in Sosua, please thank all folks in your township for their donation to the people of the DR.

Thank You! I will pass on your sentiments, that is very kind of you.

Marlie

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
generosity is such a nice thing and wishing there was more in this world. I am sure there should be a lot more people like you Marlie. I apologize if we got off to a bad start and this is not how I feel. Give me a second chance to explain please. I have shipped a lot of things down myself from canada and it is a great feeling and a great thing to do. I am a little tired as my wife and I ended up donating far too much of our personal savings, mostly my own fault and ignorance, ending up with people that did not appreciate it and diverted resources from those that would have. We have built five schools in the Dajabon area for grade one and two'ers and are very proud to have helped out hundreds of young children get off to a good start. I personally invested in a make work project here that had major setbacks. Then when the fire department came I opened my arms to them, paid for my permits while the person wanted to sell me his fire extinguishers. I had brought my own and was fairly prepared for front line fire protection. After he took my money I asked him who to call for assistance in case of fire and he just laughed. The fire truck mentioned earlier was a wonderful gift by the French as someone just posted in this thread. It is so generous but why does it sit there and not work? We had a big fire here on New Years and the fire department arrived without vehicle only to see the charred remnants. Collecting vehicles across north american and shipping them down require a plan to make sure they are not just an expense and sit here looking silly later. Perhaps you have such a plan for your vehicle. Perhaps the other person has a plan for his suggestion of more offerings. All I know from years of donating and fundraising and personal contribution, it is important to have a plan to continue more than just taking pictures to make sure the equipment arrives as someone suggested. Fuel and training here is most difficult to obtain and continue. I meant no harm and have no suggestions as to how to do things differently. I hate it when people suggest to me things that might go wrong without presenting a solution so I am probably off base again. I have no such solution. Maybe someone on this forum can tell us what will happen when donated items arrives in this country for such things as emergency support. No one can take away from you all your hard work and effort and I hope the project thrives. Keep up the good work!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you Gordon for explaining your reasoning behind your comments. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, we have donated this truck and equipment through a foundation so it is out of our hands now. Mr. Kersteman (or someone affiliated with his business) will be on the receiving end in the DR, and hopefully will keep an eye on things from that point. I merely was pointing out the fact that even though we are a town in the middle of nowhere with a pop of 550, it is no excuse to turn a blind eye on the needs of others. Like one poster mentioned, this should get additional coverage to spur on other municipalities, towns, and cities to do the same. Call me a sucker, but I love a news item that gives me a good feeling after reading it, instead of a churned stomach! This type of news is becoming extinct in this society of ours today.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
ditto to what JD said. @Gordon...I was going to call you an idiot...I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for taking the time to explain your position.