Therapist needed for abused woman

drhereicome

Jul 12, 2011
I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally. Can anyone recommend an english speaking therapist who specializes in this field. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Call me silly,but...
what is the therapist going to do?
she either needs to leave for a minute or have some big guys kick his a....
my 2 cents
Manu

drhereicome

Jul 12, 2011
She is no longer with the guy. You have to ask why she needs help. Do you have any idea what this does to a person emotionally?
Call me silly,but...
what is the therapist going to do?
she either needs to leave for a minute or have some big guys kick his a....
my 2 cents
Manu

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Glad to hear he is no longer there,I was planning her exit!

yes, she will need to talk to some one
sorry
manu

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally. Can anyone recommend an english speaking therapist who specializes in this field. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Involved , so not married right ? If she can prove the physical abuse she should also go to the police and perhaps seek legal advise as well as therapy

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
She is no longer with the guy. You have to ask why she needs help. Do you have any idea what this does to a person emotionally?

I agree with you! Being on the receiving end of abuse, be it physical, emotional, psychological or other has long-lasting effects. It creates an environment of fear and helplessness. Therapy is extremely important for this woman to regain her sense of self-worth and value.

The longer she lived with the abuser, the more deeply affected she will be. It is a process of control, intimidation and conditioning that eventually renders the victim so paralyzed emotionally that it is almost impossible to leave.

In 1987 there was a well-known case in NY City in which Joel Steinberg was found guilty of killing an "adopted" child that lived with him and his partner. The partner, Hedda Nussbaum was also battered. She was so beaten down that she stood by and did not intervene when he beat the child to death.

THAT is what spousal abuse causes, Manu. It is not a joking matter.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You might call Dr. Roberto Spitale at the Centro Medico Cabarete located in Sosua to see if he, or his wife Mary Jo, might know of someone. Both work at the clinic and speak English. 809-571-4696.

I hope that your friend is in a safe living place and feels safe. If not, perhaps she should at least go stay with a friend for awhile.

Good luck.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Court Order against Macho

I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally.
She also needs legal advice.
Macho men often do not accept a separation and stalk or try to control "their possessions" and can be very aggressive.
She ought to get a court order so that the abuser is prohibited to get near her.

donP

drhereicome

Jul 12, 2011
She lives in a secure gated community so she does feel safe and she has a close friend who can help if needed. I will pass on the information and hopefully Centro Medico have suggestions where she can obtain help. Thanks Ringo.
You might call Dr. Roberto Spitale at the Centro Medico Cabarete located in Sosua to see if he, or his wife Mary Jo, might know of someone. Both work at the clinic and speak English. 809-571-4696.

I hope that your friend is in a safe living place and feels safe. If not, perhaps she should at least go stay with a friend for awhile.

Good luck.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am not a big believer in therapy for things like this, as in sitting down with a stranger and pouring out your emotions but I do understand it is the norm in the US. I do think legal action should be taken though, should he get carried away and do something stupid, he can be picked up quickly.
Good luck to her, I think time heels best where emotions are concerned.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
As you stated she is an ex-pat, ask her if she has she spoken with her embassy? Not only might they have a list of resources available, but they can also assist her is she wishes to leave the DR.

NOTE: please do not answer the question in an open forum. If the abuser is not behind bars, very little should be said in a public forum regarding the specifics.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
There is a psychologist at CMC. His name is Dr Martinez. He speaks English very well. I've sent clients to him in the past and know him personally. Give him a try. He charges $1000 RD per hour if she doesn't have insurance. I wish her the best and hope she can get past this tragedy and move forward in her life.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I'm so so sorry for your friend. I wish there was more we here at the forum could do, but I agree we oughtn't place too many specifics. Have her contact her embassy asap, and see whether there is any assistance whatsoever they can provide (unfortunately, I don't know what they could do, but it's worth a try). If things get worse, she might be safest heading back home for awhile where he can't reach her...My thoughts are with her.