Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Therapist needed for abused woman

I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally. Can anyone recommend an english speaking therapist who specializes in this field. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of online support groups and resources similar to this one: Battered Woman | Help, Support and Resources for Mentally and Emotionally Abused Women

Maybe there are even support groups where she lives? They offer help for free on the phone if she can call US number. Good luck!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me silly,but...
    what is the therapist going to do?
    she either needs to leave for a minute or have some big guys kick his a....
    my 2 cents
    Manu

Post Thanks / Like

She is no longer with the guy. You have to ask why she needs help. Do you have any idea what this does to a person emotionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by bri777 View Post
    Call me silly,but...
    what is the therapist going to do?
    she either needs to leave for a minute or have some big guys kick his a....
    my 2 cents
    Manu

5. Likes La Profe_1 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear he is no longer there,I was planning her exit!

yes, she will need to talk to some one
    sorry
    manu

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drhereicome View Post
    I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally. Can anyone recommend an english speaking therapist who specializes in this field. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Involved , so not married right ? If she can prove the physical abuse she should also go to the police and perhaps seek legal advise as well as therapy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

She is no longer with the guy. You have to ask why she needs help. Do you have any idea what this does to a person emotionally?
    I agree with you! Being on the receiving end of abuse, be it physical, emotional, psychological or other has long-lasting effects. It creates an environment of fear and helplessness. Therapy is extremely important for this woman to regain her sense of self-worth and value.

The longer she lived with the abuser, the more deeply affected she will be. It is a process of control, intimidation and conditioning that eventually renders the victim so paralyzed emotionally that it is almost impossible to leave.

In 1987 there was a well-known case in NY City in which Joel Steinberg was found guilty of killing an "adopted" child that lived with him and his partner. The partner, Hedda Nussbaum was also battered. She was so beaten down that she stood by and did not intervene when he beat the child to death.

THAT is what spousal abuse causes, Manu. It is not a joking matter.

9. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Never said it was
    like I said
    I was already planning her exit!
    Manu

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

You might call Dr. Roberto Spitale at the Centro Medico Cabarete located in Sosua to see if he, or his wife Mary Jo, might know of someone. Both work at the clinic and speak English. 809-571-4696.

I hope that your friend is in a safe living place and feels safe. If not, perhaps she should at least go stay with a friend for awhile.

Good luck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Court Order against Macho

I need help for an expat friend of mine living in the Sosua area. She has been involved with a dominican man who has abused her physically and emotionally.
    She also needs legal advice.
    Macho men often do not accept a separation and stalk or try to control "their possessions" and can be very aggressive.
    She ought to get a court order so that the abuser is prohibited to get near her.

donP

13. Likes BermudaRum liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast