Returning to the UK

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
I have been working here n the DR for nearly three years now. Since being here i have married a Dominican lady. We have been married for nearly two years. I would like, as would my wife to return to the UK and start a new life there.
I know i can return any time and find employment and a home and my wife could join me later once i have a home and a job. However, we would like to return together.
Dose anyone have any information that can help with this.

Regards Rick

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you've been there 3 years you shouldn't have to ask this. Go to the web site of the UK embassy and follow the links, you have to go through the process.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you are married then the process is almost automatic - at least it was for me - going through the process from the D.R. with a Haitian wife. Maybe it is different for a Dominican wife?
A 2 year spouse visa costs around 1600US$ - which sucks.
The whole process took around 3 weeks - no drama.

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
I have been on the embassy web site, i have to prove i have a job and a place to live. I do not have this in the UK as i have been here working.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I used my mum as sponsor and guarantor as I didn't have work lined up back in the UK.

Mr Horner - I have never heard that expression before - what does it mean?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think mr Horner is talking about a visitor visa which is a totally different thing. If you want to take your wife to the UK permanently you have to prove that you can house her and support her without recourse to public funds. As long as you can do that it is relatively automatic. They will be bringing in a test to prove they can speak English but atm it does not apply in the DR as there is no suitable test centre.

Usually they will make sure that you have a house and an income, but usually one partner is in the UK and wants to bring one over from here. You will need to show that you will have sufficient resources and access to accommodation and then it should not be a problem.

Matilda

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Can you imagine the language test for ex pats, jeje, that would put a spike in many peoples plans.

Hey Pedro, glad you introduced the Mrs to the UK or has it restricted your movement now she is there? Give it time, she will learn to hate it!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
What is that language test? English is my second language and i got it on the go. I am happy to use that with all grammatical mistakes. I am taking the exam this month end and have no clue what they look for and i had passed the age of taking exams.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you want to get into the UK permanently these days then you have to understand and speak the queens English, a bit of history and other unimportant BS. It is an exam, if you fail you are sent home on the next boat, adios!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Can you imagine the language test for ex pats, jeje, that would put a spike in many peoples plans.

Hey Pedro, glad you introduced the Mrs to the UK or has it restricted your movement now she is there? Give it time, she will learn to hate it!

Talk about bitter/sweet!!
A few observations -

She loves it for now and since she figured out driving on the correct side of the road, everybody's movement is more or less unrestricted.

Making a living here has taken us back to basics.
It is a good job I am not a proud man.
There is a shortage of regular jobs so we are buying and selling from auctions at the moment - this is OK as she can really see how money is made - she now understands that the streets are not paved with gold.
She was quite impressed but a little shocked when I went out as a labourer to make some cash and came back all dirty and covered in cuts and bruises.
She freaked out when she realised that I could cook!
She likes automatic washing machines.
She loves curry - at first she would not touch it but now she is addicted.
Skype is critical for staying in touch with the Americas.
She still feels uncomfortable seeing me do housework so I do the hoovering when she is out - she just does not get the carpet/hoover thing.

For me - I have reminded myself why I left the UK - weather, rules, expense etc.
We want to visit the D.R. as AI touristas for a couple of weeks in October/November.
My very real fear is that I will not be able to make myself get back on the plane home.

It is thought that the biggest mistake a bloke can make is taking his foreign wife home - maybe it is too early to tell (5 months) but she is being a good sport about not having the condo/beach lifestyle any more.

I mean whatever anyone says, having lunch and cocktails at a quiet restaurant on the beach in the Caribbean is a special thing no matter how used to it one gets.

It is me who is struggling with that.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Sounds like you have a keeper so good on you. Me, I'm off to Morocco to teach a bunch of pot smoking students how to make musical instruments out of Agave. 3 months there then I have to go back to work for the anger people (I gotta make money somehow) in Kuwait. I really didn't think about my life when I decided what degree to do, hahaha!
Sometimes I just want to chill out with my mum n dad but hell they think this is all an option, not something I have to do.
Come and check out my pad (Yurt and belly pot only) in Morocco, it will be a laugh, on the short term at least!
$hit, life is so funny, I can even laugh at my own attempt at being content, haha!!
But I suppose I am, as I have my little girl with me, not many men can leave with that!
Mines a bottle of brown, keep that in mind when you visit!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Nope, but if she absconds then my mum is liable for any public funds she receives.
The visa specifies "no recourse to public funds" but if for some reason she had to be housed at public expense they could come after my mum with the bill.

Nor do you have to be rich to sponsor - my mum receives typical works, widow's and state pensions - less than the average wage in the UK.

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
Thanks,sounds interesting and a possibility . So do you both have to live with your mum. Where did you find the information