Serai Restaurant in Friusa.... GOOD FOOD!

mg1110

Sep 24, 2005
While in DR we always to this great Asian restaurant in Plaza Realeza in Friusa. It is a gourmet dining experience at affordable prices. SERAI Restaurant. Don't miss it! :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I ate there a few times. I can only say as to prices that most mains there are 300 rd and up. Also they do add on the ITBIS and I believe the 10 percent tip. As for an Oriental restaurant it is not cheap.

One more thing I did not like. I order an alcoholic drink. I needed a magnifying glass to find the alcohol. It was on the rocks. Even the rocks were in short supply.

Last edited:

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
300 and up and plus taxes mmmmm a bit expensive for dominican standards ... they will not see me often there then ... pity!
I love asian food, and for less than those prices you can get absolutelly full of any asian food with good quality in many restaurants in bcn ...
As I always say, why in a developing country most of the businesses charge first, rich world country prices?
anyway ...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
went to Serai on our last vist to P.C., but it was closed for vacation. we'll give it a try on our next trip. Another EXCELLENT asian restaurant is the one in los Corales... can't quite remember the name... maybe something like BalaCana???? not sure.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
300 and up and plus taxes mmmmm a bit expensive for dominican standards ... they will not see me often there then ... pity!
I love asian food, and for less than those prices you can get absolutelly full of any asian food with good quality in many restaurants in bcn ...
As I always say, why in a developing country most of the businesses charge first, rich world country prices?
anyway ...

You want "first, rich world" food at "developing country" prices? What should they charge for the local fare? Yes, 300 pesos is a bit expensive for Dominican standards, but I didn't think Asian food was Dominican standard fare. If 8 dollars (300 pesos) is too high, stick to plato del dia in a real Dominican restaurant for 100 pesos.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
You want "first, rich world" food at "developing country" prices? What should they charge for the local fare? Yes, 300 pesos is a bit expensive for Dominican standards, but I didn't think Asian food was Dominican standard fare. If 8 dollars (300 pesos) is too high, stick to plato del dia in a real Dominican restaurant for 100 pesos.

Asian food does not need many special ingredients (I have travelled more than 12 asian countries), it is more the way they cook it and mix it, so I dont understand why just a dish (not the whole course of 2 dishes) has to be 8 dollars ...
Anyway, no need to talk about it, as this happens all the time with many other things, not just expensive restaurants, for a country where most of the people earn just a few hundreds of bucks monthly ...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That is really not the case for Serai. Many of the ingredients they use have to be specially imported from Asia and the quality of their food, presentation and service is superior.

Their target market is not the "few hundred bucks a month" segment but tourists, expats and affluent Dominicans, so their prices are pretty much standard for comparable restaurants on the east coast. The one thing that could be better in my opinion is their location, but once you're inside the restaurant it is pleasant and welcoming.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That is really not the case for Serai. Many of the ingredients they use have to be specially imported from Asia and the quality of their food, presentation and service is superior.

Their target market is not the "few hundred bucks a month" segment but tourists, expats and affluent Dominicans, so their prices are pretty much standard for comparable restaurants on the east coast. The one thing that could be better in my opinion is their location, but once you're inside the restaurant it is pleasant and welcoming.

Next time you go there take a look at what she charges you for drinks. Not only alcoholic drinks, but soda also. None of this is from Asia, but it is the same as any other place serves.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
CptnGlenn , Yes its Balicana in Los Corales beside the pool. I just love thier food.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Next time you go there take a look at what she charges you for drinks. Not only alcoholic drinks, but soda also. None of this is from Asia, but it is the same as any other place serves.
I will take note next time, thanks. This is a common tactic by restaurants, so unless it is completely disproportionate I won't hold it against them.
Another vote for the wonderful Balicana - now if only they'd start opening lunchtimes again.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - unfortunately Serai is closing this month. We plan to go once more to say goodbye :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Update - unfortunately Serai is closing this month. We plan to go once more to say goodbye :(

Serai had good food, unfortunately the lady that had it liked the "Gringo Prices". As I stated earlier she ripped people off on drinks all the time. I asked her if she could give me some alcohol with my Barcelo on the rocks one time and I got more rocks and less liquor.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Yes Serai had more than just good food ... It was excellent food with outstanding presentation and service ... If your problem was that you didn't like her drink prices .. You shouldn't drink! That is the problem with people like you .. Complain complain complain .. Believe me Punta Cana needs some more restaurants like Serai. The owner was trying to make a living and her food prices excellent. Look at practically every bar In Punta Cana .. They don't seem to know that you should put alcohol in drinks .. It is a well known fact all over that You get ripped off in the Dominican Republic with drinks. you had better stop complaining about the few really good restaurants here ... And now Serai is closing .. One less for you to complain about.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes Serai had more than just good food ... It was excellent food with outstanding presentation and service ... If your problem was that you didn't like her drink prices .. You shouldn't drink! That is the problem with people like you .. Complain complain complain .. Believe me Punta Cana needs some more restaurants like Serai. The owner was trying to make a living and her food prices excellent. Look at practically every bar In Punta Cana .. They don't seem to know that you should put alcohol in drinks .. It is a well known fact all over that You get ripped off in the Dominican Republic with drinks. you had better stop complaining about the few really good restaurants here ... And now Serai is closing .. One less for you to complain about.

Tell me if the restaurant is so great why are they closing? Certainly not because of losing me as a customer.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I understand the owners were offered a better opportunity elsewhere. IMO their main weakness was the location, hidden away in a nondescript half-empty mall on Ave Espa?a. Nonetheless they did manage to get themselves a good reputation thanks to word-of-mouth recommendations rather than passing trade: everyone I know who's been there (Dominicans and non-Dominicans) raves about it. Also, for a long time they were ranked no.1 in Punta Cana on Trip Advisor. They are now at no.2. I'm very sorry to see them go and wish them luck in their new venture.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Tell me if the restaurant is so great why are they closing? Certainly not because of losing me as a customer.

they are closing because husband was transferred to Peru to help open a hotel and if you can possibly understand this she wants to be with her husband. You sound like a person no restaurant would want as a customer .. So don't flatter yourself.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Yes a great restaurant sadly missed, Wilf was (and still is!) a great chef. He has now opened the Malaysian fusion restaurant in the Westin Hotel Lima, which is the best rated hotel and convention centre in Lima, so is a real feather in his cap.
My husband and I loved dining at Serai and wish Wilf and his wife the best of luck (and their dogs which will be going with them).
If I ever end up in Lima again I will surely search him out for his chicken tikka masala.