Installing Inversor for family with modest means

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Inverter Hook-Up

I have an inversor and other equipment that I bought in the states. (Listed below) I know next to nothing about hooking it up. I bought (4) 6 volt batteries here- the red ones. It is being installed in a house (In Esperanza) with a narrow 5 or so foot tall refrigerator, small tv, and about 5 lights. From when I stayed there for 10 days, it seemed that electric was down about 7 to at most 10 hours at a time. Based on that, is it wise to leave the fridge alone (it will not lose that much temp. during 7 hours w/o electricity??) and be assured that the 4 batteries will adequately power everything during outage?? The system will be set up with 3-4 feet between the batteries and inverter- batteries will be housed in a cement/metal cage outside of the house, inverter inside.

Equipment I bought in the US
3000 Watt Inverter with Battery Charger and Transfer Switch 12V by AIMS
Inline fuse KIT. Includes 300 amp fuse and holder. Use with 3500 watt inverters or less.
Inverter Cable 1/0 AWG 1 ft set by AIMS - UL Listed.
Inverter Cable 12" 1/0 AWG red. Use with 200 or 300 amp inline fuse or as a jumper.
Inverter Cable 1/0 AWG 5 ft set by AIMS - UL Listed

The equipment above (the cable) was meant for 12v batteries. I purchased (4) 6 volt batteries here, and they need to be hooked up in pairs, I understand, not run parallel. Therefore, I need to buy more cable, right?

The owner of the house called me with a list of what the electrician said he needs. My girlfriend does not believe the electrician. Here is a list of what the electrician said he needs:

100 ft number 12 standard wire (Why so much wire??)
1 short jumper 1 foot
1 30 amp transfer switch (The inverter has a transfer switch???)

I want to set up the inverter correctly and safely. What do I need?

Anyone know an electrician close to Esperanza or in Santaigo, who I could bring to Esperanza??

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks, tom

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ground the entire house/apartment or you can fry the inverter and electrics.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It appears the electrician needs about 95 feet of wire for his next job. :)

Get another quote. Halmembarys Inversores 809-471-4100 in Santiago have treated me well doing electrician work and you might even see them at church when you go. :) At the very least they can probably recommend a good electrician in Esperanza.