Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone in Punta Cana

Hey there, another question about life in PC.

What is the best cell phone service? I will be in PC Village.

What is the startup cost?

I have an Iphone 3g, use it in airplane mode here, and was told someone down there could unlock it (I am sure for a FEE) and I could use that phone. Any truth to this?

All advice welcome.

I have been cell phone free for over a year (tied Google voice to my landline) but I don't think GV will work in DR. The Apple phone was a gift from my brother when he upgraded and I never got a contract on it.

Anyone here rely solely on Skype?

Thanks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

there have been a couple of really good threads on cell phones lately. do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find them. a couple of the veteran members posted some really comprehensive advice and info about it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there! I asked the same question about a week ago... lol ... here's the thread I posted... LOTS of good advice.. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116...ting-plan.html

4. Likes MaineGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info, can anyone answer my Iphone or Skype queries here?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I did read in another thread somewhere that you can get your iphone unlocked for very cheap in DR...After it's unlocked yes you can use it with a Dominican cell provider... Not sure of the the start up cost though... I thought about relying solely on Skype as well... interested to hear if anyone has ever done that...

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if I had a new Ipod Touch with the Facetime on it, if I could do Skype with wifi from home.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the phone to the Blackberry place just past the Texaco station on your right heading towards Macau. Not the one in the station, the next one. There is a guy there that can probably get it unlocked. But it will cost about 2200rd. This is in Bavaro of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Thank you. 60 dollars...it doesn't seem like a lot compared to the fact NO ONE will unlock it here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are able to search youtube and follow instructions then you should be able to do it yourself, it's very easy if your phone has the right firmware and baseband. If you don't wanna risk it or don't feel confident to do it you could contact me when you arrive and I'll give it a go for some frosty presidente's.

11. Likes MaineGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a generous offer I doubt you will drink $60 worth of Presidente in one sitting! Thank you, I will send a PM when I am there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast